Shipping to Australia...suggestions?

1965rivgs

Hi All,

I am attempting to ship a heavy item to Australia. The typical shippers like UPS and DHL are quoting astronomical prices as expected. My preference would be to hand over the shipping to a company with a global reputation and delivery network but as an alternative I would guess there is a freight forwarder here in The States who gathers a container load of antique car parts destined for Australia and would therefore offer a reduced rate. Any suggestions? Especially from members who have experience?

Thanks,

Tom Mooney

Tom,

How heavy/large is the piece your looking to send.  USPS flat rate boxes are a great deal if it will fit & not over a 150pds.

As an example I needed to ship a piece to Germany that was a total of 3ozs.  Out of 5 diff. shippers from $185.00 as low as $130.00.

Bought a padded envelope from USPS for $1.19 & the entire cost was slightly less than $20.00.

I ship the steering boxes USPS in a Large Flat Rate Box which is kinda awkward & heavy for $20.00.  From the manufacturer I use it costs me $38.00 for them to ship it to me across the country & using a flat rate box only costs me $20.00 to send it back.

Give it a shot you may be surprised.

Tom T.

27 minutes ago, telriv said:

Tom,

How heavy/large is the piece your looking to send.  USPS flat rate boxes are a great deal if it will fit & not over a 150pds.

As an example I needed to ship a piece to Germany that was a total of 3ozs.  Out of 5 diff. shippers from $185.00 as low as $130.00.

Bought a padded envelope from USPS for $1.19 & the entire cost was slightly less than $20.00.

I ship the steering boxes USPS in a Large Flat Rate Box which is kinda awkward & heavy for $20.00.  From the manufacturer I use it costs me $38.00 for them to ship it to me across the country & using a flat rate box only costs me $20.00 to send it back.

Give it a shot you may be surprised.

Tom T.

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the suggestion but the item in question is a posi diff and weighs in at 90 lbs including packaging...I dont think I`m fitting that in a large flat rate box!!

BTW...I shipped the steering box core to you via a USPS flat rate box...weighed 28 lbs and cost $20. You should see it very soon. I just read the USPS lost a hell of alot of money last year...wonder why?!

Thanks again,

Tom (M!)

Be careful, Australia has very strict asbestos import rules, customs has been heavily cracking down on any old car related items. The risk is with the receiver if item is suspected in any way without paperwork proving no asbestos in item.

Hi Tom, If you are shipping to Melbourne you can direct your part(s) to California Shipping.

(714) 590-1999

sales@calship.com 

Shipping address is:

Pete Smith / Joe Blow

California Shipping

11121 Dale Street

Stanton, CA 90680

Parts will be shipped to:

Pete Smith

East Coast Mustangs

6/46 Industrial Park Drive

Lilydale VIC

Australia

Joe Blow (the person who will pick up and pay for the LA to Australia shipping) needs to contact Pete Smith and inform him of the parts to expect.

Any item sent to California shipping with Pete Smith's name on it goes straight into his container which gets filled every month or so.

I have used Pete Smith many times and have found his pricing fair for large and heavy items reasonable.

If you are shipping to Sydney then Tony Gentilcore will chime in and give you the details.

A diff will not prove to be a problem in regard to asbestos. If you are importing a car, motor or brake parts then asbestos paperwork is needed.

Cheers

Tom Kunek

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, TKRIV said:

Hi Tom, If you are shipping to Melbourne you can direct your part(s) to California Shipping.

(714) 590-1999

sales@calship.com 

Shipping address is:

Pete Smith / Joe Blow

California Shipping

11121 Dale Street

Stanton, CA 90680

Parts will be shipped to:

Pete Smith

East Coast Mustangs

6/46 Industrial Park Drive

Lilydale VIC

Australia

Joe Blow (the person who will pick up and pay for the LA to Australia shipping) needs to contact Pete Smith and inform him of the parts to expect.

Any item sent to California shipping with Pete Smith's name on it goes straight into his container which gets filled every month or so.

I have used Pete Smith many times and have found his pricing fair for large and heavy items reasonable.

If you are shipping to Sydney then Tony Gentilcore will chime in and give you the details.

A diff will not prove to be a problem in regard to asbestos. If you are importing a car, motor or brake parts then asbestos paperwork is needed.

Cheers

Tom Kunek

Thanks very much Tom...I will investigate on Monday and let you know how things compare/work out. Thanks again for the advice,

Tom M.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/18/2019 at 7:56 AM, 1965rivgs said:

Thanks very much Tom...I will investigate on Monday and let you know how things compare/work out. Thanks again for the advice,

Tom M.

Yes you can trust Pete Smith from East Coast Mustangs.