driftpin

1940 Misfires Under Load

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Morgan Wright said:

Couldn't find a turbocharger and oxygen tank, huh?

A turbocharger might have helped the Chevy, but the higher RPMs would have been hell on the babbit bearings,

and YES, when I wallked into the gift shop they took one look at me and pulled me aside to administer oxygen for about 10 minutes.

I've since been up Pikes Peak several times with other old cars, but not in a blizzard above 12,xxx feet as was the case with the Chevy.

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)

Posted (edited)

In order:

Compression test

Ignition test (firing voltages at the plugs - use a clamp on voltmeter. If you don't own one, find a friendly utility company lineman)

Fuel delivery system test

Carburetor adjustment

Since it has electronics added, would suggest replacing these with conventional points and condenser for a test before the compression test. And did you upgrade to an alternator when you downgraded to the electronics? Electronics DEMAND more stable voltage than a generator is capable of providing.

"Carburetor issues" change over the years. Used to be number one carburetor problem was the distributor needed a tune-up. That changed in the 1980's to issues with ethanol. About 10 years ago the primary carburetor problem is electronic conversion.

Jon.

Edited by carbking (see edit history)
  • Like 2