Dwight Romberger

1922 bent push rod What do I do?

Hi Forumites!

It has been a long time since I bothered any of you. So, I thought I would check back in with a problem (of course).

A few of you might remember I bought a chopped off 1922 4 cyl touring to make a speedster.

It has 14,000 miles on the odometer and has not been started since it was put in dry storage in the 40's.

Story is, before a young soldier went off to war, he removed the high tension wire from the coil to the distributor and locked the ignition.

He did not make it home. His parents could not bring themselves to sell the car. It sat in the barn until there was an estate sale in the 70's.

I neighbor who always wanted the car, bought it to make a roadster. he cut off the back part of the body and put it in a shed without trying to start it.

He turned 80 a few years ago and decided he was never going to finish the car and put it up for sale on Craigslist.

I bought the car. The ignition is still locked and the high tension wire is missing.

It has not been started in 75 years.

The tires still hold air.

I removed a 5 gallon pail of mice nests packed around the flywheel and clutch.

I drained the oil and replaced it with new oil laced with MMO.

I dropped the pan yesterday and there is an 1/8" of very wet sludge in the bottom.

Not bad!(pic)

I have never seen a "new" 1922 crankcase, but this looks like one to me (pic)

When I turn it over with the crank, I get almost 30 lbs of oil pressure!

The problem is a bent push rod. (pic)

I have read that usually means a stuck valve.

I have reached the level of my incompetence.

What would you suggest I do?

Thanks!

Dwight

1922 Buick sludge in pan.JPG

1922 Buick bent push rod.JPG

1922 Buick crankcase.JPG

Posted (edited)

Dwight,

That doesn't look like a bent pushrod - it looks a broken pushrod.  In this case, you have other good ones to take the measurements from to have a new one made.  This is a rather simple problem in my humble opinion.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

Edited by Terry Wiegand
GRAMMAR (see edit history)

Terry,

Thanks for the response.

It is very bent.

After I get one made or (locate a used one), how do I go about finding out if the valve is stuck?

Come on Dwight,

You know you have to pull the head.

Mike in Colorado

You can take a rubber mallet and hit above each valve.  You should see the spring move.  Hugh

• Like 1

Hugh is right, it might take several tries. Do all the valves to check them. 

Since you turned the engine, you know the pistons are free.

The upper part of the crankcase looks pretty good

Or use a ball-peen hammer and hit the valve stem, it will go "tick tick tick tick boing"

When is says boing you are good.

^^^^^^^

That is if the rockers are off. If the rockers are still on use a rubber hammer.

• Like 1

Thank you all for your guidance. I really appreciate it.

I have been soaking the possible offender with penetrating oil for several days.

It has also been soaked in MMO for several years.

I will try the rubber mallet.

If it does not move, I will remove the rockers and try the ball peen.

Does anyone have a method to straighten out the bent push rod?

P.S. Morgan. I have really enjoyed the restoration videos you have made with your '18.

They are a big part of the reason I have gotten back to my '22. Thanks

Dwight

Posted (edited)

Dwight,

You do not straighten push rods.  You replace them.  Someone will have one for you.  You just need to do some looking and have some patience.   

So by that I also mean that you do not want to install a new push rod and then bend it.  Here is some more food for thought.  

Remove the bad push rod.  Take a rubber mallet before you turn the engine again and ensure that each valve spring moves (some) when you hit it.  Turn the engine say 15 degrees.  Tap all the springs again.  We want to make sure all the valves move before we do any crank rotating.  Before I forget, make sure the water pump is not frozen to the shaft also before rotating the engine or damage will result to the camshaft  gear.   Once you can make a complete rotation, then you can measure one of the valves springs, and see how far the spring needs to be compressed in normal operation.  You can make a lever arm to push on the stuck valve once it is free and ensure that it will move the amount it needs to move.  Only push on the area above the valve stem.  Once the amount of movement is verified, then you can replace the rod.  

I will also weigh in that the safest thing is to just pull all the valves out, clean out all the carbon and old oil, Ensure all parts have assembly lube in them.  Not a bad time to dress the valve seats and faces.  

Hugh

Edited by Hubert_25-25 (see edit history)
  • Like 3

23 hours ago, Dwight Romberger said:

It has been a long time since I bothered any of you.

I guess it has. We took a ride down to Attica, the back way, on Thursday and I was wondering about you when we drove past the diner.

0011.thumb.jpg.0d31fa1bf53882e917ad64d123cfc8d9.jpg

Bernie,

I am still kicking.

I read your post last week about me "ripping up the backroads of Pennsylvania."

So, I had to get back to it!

I have a lot of work to do to catch up to you with 8,900 posts!

• Like 1

Good to hear from you again Dwight!

Here is where I am at with the 1925-45 we worked on for John Brough back in March of 2013. He stopped at my house last Sunday to drop off a painting a relative did of the car back in 2009. 

DSCF7679.thumb.JPG.72959463d72e4234a687190191a87797.JPG For some reason no one in the family wanted it.

Replacing the timing gear!

DSCF7663.thumb.JPG.8f08ad9e7900e42f0b95d79fe9662c41.JPG

DSCF7665.thumb.JPG.03b059b9812f4493dfd8ba9b826abda5.JPG

DSCF7666.thumb.JPG.0b125a35011b321f96a8437614bf3281.JPG

• Like 1

Larry,  were you driving the car when that happened or on start up. Nice painting.

Larry

So glad you bought the 25 we worked on!

i love that car!

Turns out 4 valves are stuck 

i guess I should not be surprised 

if I sat in the same position for 75 years I would not move either 

Off with its head!!!!!

Thanks everyone for your guidance 

Dwight 

• Like 3

Rod:

To me the painting and the car are both "20 footers".

We were on our way to church about 1/2 mile away from home. The engine popped and barked and shut down. I tried to start but no luck. We towed it back home to put in the garage. The next day I did start it but there was a thumping sound that I thought was a rod going out.

IT was not until we got the 25 Standard back together a year later that I looked into the Master again. After several attempts to restart and finding no spark and then going through all that trouble shooting did I find that the fan and water pump shaft was not moving. 

Timing Gear out….

Dwight. Again if you are in need of help with the 1922 please let me know!

• Like 1

Thanks Larry

I might take you up on that in the future 

i removed the rocker arms and all the head bolts today 

i was concerned about the head bolts but they all came out like they were taken out last week!

The head is loose, but I am going to borrow my neighbors engine host to lift it off.