AACA Hershey vs Fall Carlile

delta

Hello here, I`m considering to visit AACA Fall Meet in Hershey and I noticed there is another event the week before - Carlile Fall Event, which is very close to Hershey. Which one is better to go, or is it worth to visit both? I`m suprised such big events are that close by distance and term. I should notice my intetion is to buy a car...

Edited by delta (see edit history)

Carlisle I believe was started to satisfy the postwar car collector when AACA was still in the stage of being mostly pre WWII. If you're looking to buy a car both events would be of interest but I think Hershey may have the earlier machinery just because they always have. I have been to both events, and I agree Hershey is the place. Many will moan that "it isn't what it once was," old parts aren't as plentiful etc but they keep coming back and I do know the Europeans favor Hershey over Carlisle. I have a lot of German and British friends who attend every year and have for decades. Many wind up visiting me here at my house since I am not far from JFK airport. New "old" stuff appears at Hershey each year because the collectors who were active in their thirties age wise ,  50 years ago, perhaps have decided to move/sell some of the things they collected decades ago due to advancing years.

• Like 1

Both events are very large, but Hershey is larger,

both for its flea market and its car corral.  

What type, or decade of car, would you like to get?

The Carlisle events, both Spring and Fall, cover

all makes of cars.  Carlisle's car corral is overwhelmingly

populated by cars of the 1960's through 1980's.

Do you want a 1980 Chevrolet El Camino or a

1965 Chevelle?  Carlisle is a good place to search;

but if you want a 1952 Buick, no.

Hershey's car corral is full of cars of all ages, possibly

from 1900 up to the 25-year-old cutoff.  You may find

that El Camino there, or the Chevelle, but you may also

see 1932 Buicks, 1941 Packards, 1955 Cadillacs.

The choice is much broader.

At both places, but especially at Hershey, you'll also find

cars for sale scattered among the flea-market spaces.

Hershey's flea market is extremely sparse on Saturday,

when most people attend the Saturday-only car show,

but there are still some cars for sale in the car corral.

Advice:  spend all available days at Hershey.  A realistically

priced car might sell almost immediately.  But many cars

start out over-priced:  Sellers think that big money is afoot,

especially from overseas, and the cars may be priced

accordingly.  I remember one car for sale at Carlisle, and

after 100,000 people walked by it and it didn't sell, the same

car was at Hershey with a HIGHER asking price!  Prices

come down or become more flexible as the days progress.  

Some overpriced cars never get sold, so you could make

a private deal weeks afterward.  Also, some optimistic sellers

fail one year and bring their car back to try again in ensuing years.

Both Carlisle and Hershey also have auctions going on

on one or more days.  (Hershey's is not affiliated with the

AACA event and is a short drive away.)  The Carlisle 

auction has cars similar to those at its car corral, whereas

the Hershey auction favors early cars and higher-end cars.

So Hershey is indeed worth visiting, but finding the car

you like at a realistic price is not guaranteed.  Keep realistic

expectations, stay for Saturday's car show, and you'll

be glad you were there!

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Both events are very large, but Hershey is larger,

both for its flea market and its car corral.  

What type, or dcsecade of car, would you like to get?

All my questions answered, thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

Friday depends.  Last year Friday was pretty good as it rained alot on Thursday but the good forecast for Friday kept vendors around for the most part,  though some did vacate as they were planning on leaving by Friday anyways.  Some do both shows,  so they get burned out before Hershey is over and many come a long distance to vend so they take off early to make the trek back home so they can be ready and revived for their regular work on Monday. 

I've been to both and do agree Hershey is the best.  I haven't been to Carlisle in almost 20 years,  but have been told the swap meet gets a little poorer every year with less old stuff,  and more tool and new junk vendors. 

• Like 1

Like Auburnseeker it has been some years since I visited Carlisle. Hershey is now the only flea market I vend it .

I found that by Friday afternoon people at Hershey are starting to pack up , as many like myself have to be on the road home on Saturday since we are there and setting up by noon on tuesday earlier in the week. I have to admit that after 4 days out in the fresh air and talking to perspective purchasers my patience runs thin for the "will -ya take " "wood - ja take " offers of 80%  $  less  on things I take the time to sort out, pack up, and haul there ..

• Like 1

And my opinion of both.... Carlisle costs more money to camp/park/ enter. Vendor spaces cost more for less space. Also Carlisle has limited bathroom facilities so when you see one use it as it will be awhile till you see another. Hershey is way better in my opinion. If you can do both why not, you won’t be the only one.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, ClayDBH said:

And my opinion of both.... Carlisle costs more money to camp/park/ enter. Vendor spaces cost more for less space. Also Carlisle has limited bathroom facilities so when you see one use it as it will be awhile till you see another. Hershey is way better in my opinion. If you can do both why not, you won’t be the only one.

Let’s take a break in the bashing Carlisle exercise to set one thing straight. Carlisle has numerous and exceptional bathroom facilities. It has three  permanent buildings with free shower facilities for vendors. There are permanent toilet facilities in another 2-3 locations. As far as portable toilets, Carlisle has no equal. They have loads of portable toilets and also the foot pump hand washing stations. Hershey has few permanent facilities that are open to vendors; and they no longer have shower facilities. We have used the small building in the food court area of the Chocolate field for impromptu sponge baths using the sinks.

Bill and Chip Miller built the Carlisle facility with the vendor and visitors in mind. From the food service to the bathrooms/ it has no equal. Yes, you have to pay to get in and you have to pay to park (have you priced parking at the Fall Meet lately?)- but the experience is well worth the price of admission. If you see Bill Miller at Hershey, he will be honored at The a Night at the Museum (along with the late Chip Miller)- thank him for all he and Chip did for this hobby. 

I am planning my first trip to Hershey and looking for parts for my 1933 Auburn. Are there areas or rows setup for vendors that may have any Auburn parts or is it just scattered about.

Anybody know the location or name of a vendor that might have any Auburn parts.  I just don't know what to expect for such a large area. Thanks.

Bring a big roll of hundreds.  Like Cord parts,  not alot of hidden treasures.  The vendors know what they have or the Auburn Cord guys have already scoured the fields and bought up all the unknowns.  I'm sure someone can tell you the row numbers as I can never remember which is Which,  I know them by nearby landmarks, where you are most likely to find some stuff.  I know the guys from the Auburn Cord place set up with NOS parts in one space and there is a row of a few guys that vend in a different field that "specialize" in those parts as they usually have Cord stuff as well.   I've bought from them before.  Some rechromed stuff for my car.   Just curious,  what body style are you working on? 

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)

48 minutes ago, weathered1 said:

I am planning my first trip to Hershey and looking for parts for my 1933 Auburn. Are there areas or rows setup for vendors that may have any Auburn parts or is it just scattered about.

Anybody know the location or name of a vendor that might have any Auburn parts.  I just don't know what to expect for such a large area. Thanks.

When you walk onto the swap meet field, but the event directory from one of the charming volunteers. Then simply open to the listings and look under “A”. Your feet will thank you later. 

Actually up one of those rows where the ACD guys seem to congregate It's in that triangle field where TP Tools sets up has rows of headlights for sale.  I'm sure someone can help you out with the names of the field and maybe even the row.  The nice thing is Vendors have the same spaces for years so after a year or two,  you learn where you are most likely to find what you are looking for.  Of course with guys aging out of vending new stuff comes out that's been hoarded for years and often with the intent of selling it,  not  just displaying it like may have been done for years before. 

Good luck. 

I grew up between these two shows and was well into my 20s before I realized not all car shows were like them. They are close in time for folks to visit both from out of the area and they certainly feed off one another. I've gone to a vendor at Carlisle and then picked up the part I ordered at Hershey. Working in the area at car dealers we get lots of international visitors at this time looking for American souvenirs. Both are great swaps, but Hershey has the better "show". Cars on the actual show field at Hershey can't advertise as being for sale, but that doesn't mean you can't ask the owner.

Steve has it totally correct  , we are in the opposite end ( eastern end) on row RNG and TP/TIP is at the other end. Yes there is a fellow on  RNG/RNH that has a huge lot of headlamps. I sold all the headlamps I had here at the house ( I bought from Les Cutting if anyone remembers Les. ) about 20 years ago. Best Advice is to buy a directory and use as your guide! Good Hunting everyone!

PS come and buy some of my stuff, I will post pictures here next week of what I am bringing.