Sign in to follow this  
WILLPOWER

another con man?

Posted (edited)

I'm advertising for a WTB 1937 Packard 120 six wheeler nose, and I get a response from a guy whose E-Mail address is christophertyler@gmail.com. who supposedly lives in Florida.  He is a "Newbie" on the A.A.C.A. site using the name jerryz. He says that he has what I want, in excellent condition,  for $35,000, and that I should send the money thru an "account wire transfer", such as Western Union, and he wants my address. The price includes shipping. He sends a picture to me, below, of a 1937 Packard 120, without side mounts, which is actually being brokered by a company named Daniel Schmitt & Co.,  in St. Louis, Mo., for $37,500. The picture is right from a Hemmings ad.  The car, obviously, doesn't belong to him. I don't know about his reading comprehension skills. I don't want a complete car, unless it's significantly less than $35,000. I called him out on it and told him that I knew who really owned the car. I asked him to explain himself, and I haven't heard back from him. There seems to be no shortage of scammers. I also told him that if I am wrong about him, I would be happy to apologize. I don't think that's going to happen. Just an F.Y.I.

64292428-770-0@2X.jpg

Edited by WILLPOWER
clarification, add photo (see edit history)

Western Union = scam.

Every time. Just knowing that will protect you from 70% of them.

• Like 1

He also contacted me about the tires I'm looking for. I told him to post pictures of what he has on my posting before anything else,so far no pictures.

I know I'm not the only one being contacted by these crooks. Members need to report whoever is trying to rip them off. The more their names/E-Mail addresses are exposed, the better the chances are that we won't get scammed.  

He also contracted me about parts for a Morris Minor and said he had  them in excellent condition and could arrange shipping. I told him I would rather pick them up.

Never heard from him again.

Walker

scammer tried the usual certified check for more than item on me today.  I said great, and gave him the name of the police chief and police station address for pickup.  He was quick enough to ask why I gave him the address of a police station.  ...ya think...

This same guy just tried to scam me on a 320 CI intake manifold the I was looking for in the parts fro sale section