1931 Franklin FS in Naples, FL

All 1931 Franklins were series 15, there were three models,  the largest ( longest wheelbase at 132 inches) was the series 153, which this is. Walker built the body. I has the correct headlamps and lens ( not easy to find/afford if missing or broken) plus correct tail light as well. The 1932 series 16 shared the fenders, head and tail lights, running boards, bumpers  with the series 153 ( not the series 15 model 151 and 152) but the styling of the body was changed slightly for 1932  especially around the windshield area. A lot of parts ( mostly mechanical) between the series 153 of 1931 and the series 16A of 1932 interchange. I totally agree with all who state that the restoration of the structural wood work for the body  will be a major task.

• Like 1

When I was about four years old, my dad bought a Franklin to restore. Sadly, he never got around to it, and sold it a few years later. No pictures exist of it that I know of, and he couldn't remember what year or model it was when I asked about it many years later. When I was quite young, It was one of my favorite toys. I LOVED to sit it it, pretend to drive it, pretend to restore it. Probably one of the things that warped my being forever! It looked a lot like this car, and he said he thought it was a '31 Airman sedan, but wasn't sure. His did not have wood spoke wheels, but I am not sure what it did have. I also clearly remember the side pockets in the rear doors on his.

If I wasn't at that age where I cannot take in any more projects, and if I had the money (I do not!). I would love to save this thing. Just for memories sake.

I would love to be the next caretaker of a classic vehicle some day and as a lifelong Corvair fan, the natural progression would be for me to gravitate toward a air cooled Franklin!  While this Franklin offers great lines and completeness, it is really sad that it has been left out in the elements...

Looks like a really decent car that was unfortunately has been set out and is taking a turn for the worst.  My guess is wood rot is involved.  And, it is the large series.   Keep in mind though it is a together car that is mostly complete (less the headlight lenses that are Auburn) and really all things considered more decent than you generally find. 

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)

Guess you would start ripping the roof off and the interior door panels and carpets.  Gutting it would seem the requirement as the mold and stink alone would be the second of the issues to what is underneath it all.  Maybe one day I will take on a project like this but right now I am looking at getting at my own 151 here by the start of September. Finally concrete goes down monday for the new shop !

I called the owner of this Franklin.... (his children gave me his home number... 239-248-6290)  he is an elderly man, very relaxed and friendly named Earl.  I asked him how long the car has been sitting out in the weather, with the roof leaking... he said about a year..... I asked him about the mechanical condition of the car and when it last ran and when it was last driven... he said it was driven around on the local road about a month ago.... said it starts right up and runs so quiet you can hardly tell it is running.... he said there are no knocks or weird noises coming from the engine... and it does not smoke..... he said the clutch and tranny works & shifts as it should.... the wood spokes are solid and sound... brakes work but the rubber flex hoses are original and cracked and should be replaced... the tires hold air (actually the inner Tubes are holding the air)... but they are very rotten and cracked and need to be replaced right away... He said he thought it had never been restored or rebuilt in any way... that it was an original through-out.....  his price went from $10K to $7K and he told me he would go down to $6K for me.....  I live in southern New Mexico and only have $6K in extra money... so I would have no money left to haul it home on a Uhaul car hauling trailer )total cost to rent trailer and gas about $1,200 more)... otherwise I would buy it in a second... bring it to this arid desert climate.... strip out the headliner and rear seat and repair the roof and any rotten wood.... then reupholster it and buy new tires and tubes... and drive it as is, slowing making improvements and repairs as needed.... not an expensive restoration.. but doing most of the work myself and making it a usable, drive-able car again....  As others have said... if you want a Franklin of this year... this is a good body, good mechanics and only needs a little work to make it very usable.... at a very good price..!!!     Anyone out there that has extra expendable cash (like about $2K)... that would pay for the transport of this car from Florida to southern New Mexico...for me... ???   It would be a gift of Love for the restoration of the hobby ... so that those of us that live on a very small income can join in on the restoration of these old beauties... and keep them alive and on the road...... thanks for listening.... if I can't get it I hope one of you more wealthy guys can save it.....   In love with Life,  Sunny Baba   505-990-6008    

Edited by sunnybaba (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

B Jake, I agree that it is a lot of car for the $, but whoever now owns it will have to put a huge amount of time in on it - this is especially true if the structural wood framework in the roof area is in fact worse then it appears now, before stuf is removed to see how much has to be done. Just to replate all the chrome, buy new tires and tubes, and have the upholstery done will be at least 30k.

Edited by Walt G
typo (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Mike is looking at it with clear eyes and reality shining in them.   As far as math goes,  he is correct, and as far as where thing are heading in general as far as restorations becoming extinct,  he is correct. 

But,  there is always hope that somebody is thinking with their heart and not their head and decided to dive in to this car,  instead pouring their time and money in to a Model A Ford.

3 hours ago, alsancle said:

Mike is looking at it with clear eyes and reality shining in them.   As far as math goes,  he is correct, and as far as where thing are heading in general as far as restorations becoming extinct,  he is correct. 

But,  there is always hope that somebody is thinking with their heart and not their head and decided to dive in to this car,  instead pouring their time and money in to a Model A Ford.

Restorations becoming extinct?

Like young guys and skilled trades, it is getting harder to find people 25 and under getting into Traditional hot rodding or mechanical work.  Those little rice burners they love so much are just "plug n play" upgrades.   So with any skilled work like a restoration it is becoming less and less a hobby or even a job unless it is a father to son tradition.

I grew up in the back seat (and occasionally the front or jump seat) of old cars.  I have seen a decline in participation in several car circles.  The children that grew up like me that still participate are mostly those who’s parents passed along a bit of mechanical knowledge.  

I have a cousin interested in antique cars.  He’s music teacher at a high school with a wife and three young kids at home.  He is lovingly and very slowly (but painstakingly accurately) restoring an overland his father left him - which is a mountain of work.  Most car guys in the area where he lives are happy to charge him for advice and help.  When I grew up, there were more people that new about these older machines and the passionate ones would not only be happy to freely share there advice, more often than not they would gladly help.  I see this as passing along a skill - ones less necessary in today’s modern life of fuel injection and electronic ignition, for example.  I am not intending to denigrate anyone with what I’m saying.  I’m merely suggesting that the more we share what we know with others, the more others will learn and do.

I’ve also observed that one of the car clubs I belong to, focused on pre WWII cars has bucked the trend.  Tours are held largely outside of the major metro area where homes are less expensive (more likely to have a garage to work in) and people attend in 1920’s off marque cars which tend to be the most economical to buy.  Maybe this is why.

Interest remains but people need more help from those knowledgeable in the hobby to get started and grow.    That’s my current perspective.

Edited by SparkEE
Clarity (see edit history)
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, alsancle said:

I guess I’m thinking full boat, Wood, chrome, leather, paint, mechanics, etc.  The vendors, skills and man power are all fading away.

I understand, and largely agree.  How, as a large collective group of auto enthusiasts, do we effect a positive change to that trend?

11 minutes ago, mike6024 said:

Sold for 6k.  My guess it was an inherited car with no place to store it. They played with it for a little while till something broke and then had no clue, nor the want to fix it. Maybe quoted a huge sum from a mechanic for a stuck brake drum. Oh course it wasn't much fun anyway because the seats got wet when it rained because our garage was filled to the brim with CRAP so just push it out back and cover it till we decide what to do.  Of course far enough in the back you could not see the fact your crappy tarp blew off a month ago in a hurricane. Now lets sell it. Looked on the internet and WOW, it is a 16K car !!!  It takes another 7 months for reality to set in your car was ruined when you noticed AGAIN for the 23rd time the tarp was gone after another hurricane blew it away (New tarp in the pic) and down the price comes, month by month. Until finally that original offer of 6k looks really good when you notice the mold in the car is starting grow their own tree's.  Lets get it out of here before we have nothing left to sell !!!!   And grandpa, dad, uncle Fred, Great Aunt Ethel, etc...  just roll over in their grave and sigh.

Antique 1931 Franklin - $7000 (Naples)

The question is why does someone who has "stored" a car like this think they need $7k for it.  And serious only! No sleazyt low-ball offers!

Franklin.jpg

When I finally was able to find the series Franklin that best suited my wants with the help of more then a few Franklin Club members I took some very important advice.  "There is not an infinite supply of them and they sure aren't making them anymore !"     They were right.  It is not like buying a Model A or even a Packard. So attempts to save even one seems like a noble task. Within the club every new project found and taken on is greeted like a new baby coming home from the hospital ! Maybe just maybe the roof will come off on this and we will find out all the water damage was only a 2 day event when the tarp blew off during a hurricane.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Brooklyn Beer said:

. So attempts to save even one seems like a noble task. Within the club every new project found and taken on is greeted like a new baby coming home from the hospital ! 

But yet you have a long term Franklin club member, who also has a long history of dealing in Franklin cars and parts,  state early on in this post that the car seen here is a "parts car".  SO there is a vast difference of opinion going on here.  Personally, I hope someone does take up the great task and expense to see this car brought back properly, and go back on the road. I owned and drove a series 153 Franklin for over 40 years. ( this included annual trips from long island to central NY  - a 6 hour trip one way - in 80 + degree temperatures ) Franklin for a while used the phrase "Riding like gliding" and that was indeed a true statement.

• Like 3