NC-car-guy

Old Buick antique store?

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, 38Buick 80C said:

So I'm one of those nasty developers that wants things like this out of my way (somewhat tongue and cheek as I love stuff like this, but business is business). But I don't want bad press I want positive press. If you can find a way to get the historical society involved, (possibly fund some of the move) and the historical society gives their blessing and gives the developer good press, then you have an ACE to play.

That can be a double-edged sword.  Sometimes a historical society equates involvement with ownership or control.  Next thing you know, they're telling you what you can and can't do with it. And for that reason, think twice about getting it listed on any type of historical register.  You may find that doing so comes with all manner of restrictions on usage, restoration, etc.

 

And check it out real well.  Nostalgia notwithstanding, you may find that you just paid out the wazoo for a pile of scrap lumber.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 38Buick 80C said:

So I'm one of those nasty developers that wants things like this out of my way (somewhat tongue and cheek as I love stuff like this, but business is business). But I don't want bad press I want positive press. If you can find a way to get the historical society involved, (possibly fund some of the move) and the historical society gives their blessing and gives the developer good press, then you have an ACE to play.

 

As a nasty developer I've paid to move something like this to avoid the bad press at a cost of $50K, but it was worth it. In my case I HAD to do it because NCDOT didn't want the bad press either and I needed them to build me a road.  SOOOO you may have more leverage than you think but don't overplay your hand either.

Well I'm not the only interested party. A historical group is already involved which is why I'm their top choice (keeping it local, not totally disassembling it, etc) but no desire for designation. I doubt I could get more money out of the current owner as he has options. He's also no stranger to bad press, and the news is already following this.  We'll see

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So today was the big meeting.  According to the owner the #1 priority is timeline ....end of September he wants it gone.  There were clearly people there with much more money and clout than I. It was a fun thought while it lasted.

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NC-car-guy said:

There were clearly people there with much more money and clout than I. It was a fun thought while it lasted.

 

Sorry, but also thinking they saved you a lot of trouble. 😉

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, JohnD1956 said:

 

Sorry, but also thinking they saved you a lot of trouble. 😉

Lol if trouble was an issue I'd have stopped about 24 cars ago.....

  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, NC-car-guy said:

So today was the big meeting.  According to the owner the #1 priority is timeline ....end of September he wants it gone.  There were clearly people there with much more money and clout than I. It was a fun thought while it lasted.

 

Count your blessings Yung Mi. Rita and I spent every weekend and most weeknights for 5 years restoring an old dilapidated Queen Anne Victorian only to have a close by Ford dealership buy the railroad property in front us and turn it into a car storage lot.  We ended up selling it for a loss, buying our current property and came very, very close to moving an old house to it. After putting pen to paper and also realizing what we were about to embark on in the way of work, we dismissed the idea. We lived in a rented double wide two years while I drew up plans for our current Victorian Farmhouse and I spent weekends and vacations demolishing and reclaiming lumber, flooring, beadboard, victorian corbels and other trim work for it. One of the houses we demolished was the house we had considered moving. The mantlepiece you have seen in the living room came from it. We never regretted walking away from the house moving project. I think the one old house you already have plus a fun Buick project every now and then will be enough to keep your mind and hands busy enough in the coming years. And it will be interesting to hear if the old store truly does get moved. I'm thinking it will likely be deconstructed and pieced out. Keep us posted.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, NC-car-guy said:

Lol if trouble was an issue I'd have stopped about 24 cars ago.....

 

Nice to have someone around that makes my 20 look amateurish.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Thriller said:

 

Nice to have someone around that makes my 20 look amateurish.

 

Lmao. I don't have 24 at once.  That's @MrEarl

  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dreams are one thing, reality another, I've always had a problem keepin the two straight. Don't be like me.  It' gets hard selling dreams.  It's getting to be all about maintaining now for me.

 

Listen to Aunt May

 

 

 

 

 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Bhigdog said:

So?......up dates please......bob

My grandma is very ill  recently (92) and my family is reckless and fighting over her care etc so I've been running home on weekends as much as possible.  Ive also been on the phone many late nights, I'm so distracted I worry about my employment so I withdrew my interest in this project.  I do hope it finds a good home and offered my help if needed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First things first. Sincere best wishes.......bob

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...