Old Buick antique store?

NC-car-guy

Kinda off topic but you've all seen pics of my 54 century and @Pinhead63s 63 special at the Catsburg store here in Durham. I've always said this store would soon be gone and I would try to save it. I wasn't wrong.  Due to development it's slated to be demolished, but can be had for free if a "caring owner" will move it within the local area only and keep it mostly intact and publically visible.  I have the acreage, road frontage, and am only 6 miles away.  I submitted a proposal..... Was selected as a "finalist" and have a couple meetings to attend.  Anyone have any tips? 😀😀😀

20171105_135619.jpg

B&wbuick.jpg

• Like 5

reneg on the agreement?  Just looking at the structural damage and thinking it won't stay together while being lifted for the rolling trucks.  But not too much can be seen in one picture.  Maybe it's better inside than it looks? 

Much depends on the foundation and the interface between the frame and it. A lot also depends on the route and clearances between it and you. The job can be easy peasy to a God awful night mare. Keep in mind anything is possible it's a matter of how bad do you want it.

Only an experienced house mover can can give you a valid estimate of the feasibility, methods and cost.

To my eye it's well worth saving if you have deep enough pockets............Bob

• Like 1

Ive already spoken to the building mover of choice.  Its a slab foundation.  We'd take the two stories apart and the porch off.  Move in 3 pieces. No utility interruptions. Price less than a low-optioned new Buick including reassembly.

Edited by NC-car-guy (see edit history)
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Bill Stoneberg said:

Once you have it, what are you going to do with it ?  Are you ready to run a business out of it ?   Does it have to pass code before you do ?

Well. When these things present themselves ..... Gotta get ready right?  More that likely a rentable community space.  Yes the foundation, electrical, and plumbing will have to pass code, its only 720 sqft.

15 hours ago, NC-car-guy said:

Due to development it's slated to be demolished, but can be had for free if a "caring owner" will move it within the local area only and keep it mostly intact and publically visible... Was selected as a "finalist" and have a couple meetings to attend.

If it's due to be demolished I don't understand why there are any conditions whatsoever on somebody taking it.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, NC-car-guy said:

Ive already spoken to the building mover of choice.  Its a slab foundation.  We'd take the two stories apart and the porch off.  Move in 3 pieces. No utility interruptions. Price less than a low-optioned new Buick including reassembly.

That is still a lot of money.  It's very cool, but for less money you could probably build something like it with brand new materials, especially if you are going to change the look.  However, just like old cars, we don't usually save them because it's a financial investment.  The enjoyment has to be worth something to you!

Edited by lancemb (see edit history)

19 minutes ago, lancemb said:

That is still a lot of money.  It's very cool, but for less money you could probably build something like it with brand new materials, especially if you are going to change the look.  However, just like old cars, we don't usually save them because it's a financial investment.  The enjoyment has to be worth something to you!

Right.  It is a local landmark and has an interesting history. The caveats came when it hit the news media and popularity was renewed and then the current owner decided to contibute 5k towards whoever "saved" it.

Edited by NC-car-guy (see edit history)
  • Like 4

I googled it and there is some cool info. You didn,t mention it had gas pumps, which make it an old gas station. Which makes it an apt subject for discussion. If it were 6 miles from me it would be a no brainer.....bob

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bhigdog said:

I googled it and there is some cool info. You didn,t mention it had gas pumps, which make it an old gas station. Which makes it an apt subject for discussion. If it were 6 miles from me it would be a no brainer.....bob

Lol.  Right?   Sorry

Oh YEAH!

I can see you lazing in that porch swing. Sipping a mint julep. Old Red your faithful coon dog lazing by your side. You, gently stroking his ear as you "sit a spell" and spin stories about the old store and it's moon shining sheriff to rapt visitors. Caint you jess smell them magnolias?.........Hmmmm?............Bob

Seriously. Way beautiful home. You are blessed............Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Bhigdog said:

Oh YEAH!

I can see you lazing in that porch swing. Sipping a mint julep. Old Red your faithful coon dog lazing by your side. You, gently stroking his ear as you "sit a spell" and spin stories about the old store and it's moon shining sheriff to rapt visitors. Caint you jess smell them magnolias?.........Hmmmm?............Bob

Seriously. Way beautiful home. You are blessed............Bob

Thanks.   She photographs well.  Lots of work still to be done.

3 hours ago, NC-car-guy said:

Here is where I live, and would plunk the store....   this says 1914, but my records show the back of my house to be late 1800s and the front (2 story part) 1909.

http://www.opendurham.org/buildings/2303-fletchers-chapel-rd

Oh man!  That is magnificent, Matt.

Ben

• Thanks 1

So I'm one of those nasty developers that wants things like this out of my way (somewhat tongue and cheek as I love stuff like this, but business is business). But I don't want bad press I want positive press. If you can find a way to get the historical society involved, (possibly fund some of the move) and the historical society gives their blessing and gives the developer good press, then you have an ACE to play.

As a nasty developer I've paid to move something like this to avoid the bad press at a cost of $50K, but it was worth it. In my case I HAD to do it because NCDOT didn't want the bad press either and I needed them to build me a road.  SOOOO you may have more leverage than you think but don't overplay your hand either.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 38Buick 80C said:

So I'm one of those nasty developers that wants things like this out of my way (somewhat tongue and cheek as I love stuff like this, but business is business). But I don't want bad press I want positive press. If you can find a way to get the historical society involved, (possibly fund some of the move) and the historical society gives their blessing and gives the developer good press, then you have an ACE to play.

That can be a double-edged sword.  Sometimes a historical society equates involvement with ownership or control.  Next thing you know, they're telling you what you can and can't do with it. And for that reason, think twice about getting it listed on any type of historical register.  You may find that doing so comes with all manner of restrictions on usage, restoration, etc.

And check it out real well.  Nostalgia notwithstanding, you may find that you just paid out the wazoo for a pile of scrap lumber.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 38Buick 80C said:

As a nasty developer I've paid to move something like this to avoid the bad press at a cost of $50K, but it was worth it. In my case I HAD to do it because NCDOT didn't want the bad press either and I needed them to build me a road.  SOOOO you may have more leverage than you think but don't overplay your hand either.

Well I'm not the only interested party. A historical group is already involved which is why I'm their top choice (keeping it local, not totally disassembling it, etc) but no desire for designation. I doubt I could get more money out of the current owner as he has options. He's also no stranger to bad press, and the news is already following this.  We'll see

• Like 2

So today was the big meeting.  According to the owner the #1 priority is timeline ....end of September he wants it gone.  There were clearly people there with much more money and clout than I. It was a fun thought while it lasted.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, NC-car-guy said:

There were clearly people there with much more money and clout than I. It was a fun thought while it lasted.

Sorry, but also thinking they saved you a lot of trouble. 😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, NC-car-guy said:

So today was the big meeting.  According to the owner the #1 priority is timeline ....end of September he wants it gone.  There were clearly people there with much more money and clout than I. It was a fun thought while it lasted.

Count your blessings Yung Mi. Rita and I spent every weekend and most weeknights for 5 years restoring an old dilapidated Queen Anne Victorian only to have a close by Ford dealership buy the railroad property in front us and turn it into a car storage lot.  We ended up selling it for a loss, buying our current property and came very, very close to moving an old house to it. After putting pen to paper and also realizing what we were about to embark on in the way of work, we dismissed the idea. We lived in a rented double wide two years while I drew up plans for our current Victorian Farmhouse and I spent weekends and vacations demolishing and reclaiming lumber, flooring, beadboard, victorian corbels and other trim work for it. One of the houses we demolished was the house we had considered moving. The mantlepiece you have seen in the living room came from it. We never regretted walking away from the house moving project. I think the one old house you already have plus a fun Buick project every now and then will be enough to keep your mind and hands busy enough in the coming years. And it will be interesting to hear if the old store truly does get moved. I'm thinking it will likely be deconstructed and pieced out. Keep us posted.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Bhigdog said:

So?......up dates please......bob

My grandma is very ill  recently (92) and my family is reckless and fighting over her care etc so I've been running home on weekends as much as possible.  Ive also been on the phone many late nights, I'm so distracted I worry about my employment so I withdrew my interest in this project.  I do hope it finds a good home and offered my help if needed.