Why the irritating music?

Don A485

On 8/14/2019 at 3:59 PM, 60FlatTop said:

Customization is the work of an individualist. All the individualists listen to that dated rock music. It identifies them.

Doesn't that make the individualists conformists?  ;)

• Like 1

On 8/14/2019 at 6:59 PM, John S. said:

the producer , director , and their team will work out details... The music is part of the details.

Yeah, and they only use "music" they like and don't give a rip about their audience...

I like the show too, because it is one guy doing most of the work and his methods are inventive and practical.

1 hour ago, Bill Harmatuk said:

ALL the shows have that stupid guitar sound. No way you can call it music. Just noise.

Bill H

Seems like someone turned back the clock with that comment to when the club was nothing but grumpy old men......... wait a minute, we are just the next generation of grumpy old men

• Like 1

Around 1959 or 1960, I am pretty sure in Road & Track, there was a short piece about a guy who had a popular sports car that made him different. Others bought similar cars. Then they got haircuts, jackets, and a bunch more things to identify them a s group. They were all quite proud of their individualism. I was about 12 at the time and appreciated it. Over the past 60 years the concept has always been close to the surface of my thoughts, kept there by those around me as well as some quite distant. I'd like to find a copy and read it again.

Producers on not very original. Notice how that old has been rock is always the same? It comes from the car show background library. They have a bunch of them

:

The thing I get the biggest kick out of is the "climax" of a presentation, particularly noir genre. The scene will be intense and the actor heads for stairs, a ladder, up a building.  I tell my wife "He's climbing. It's the end". She hates me saying that. I told her that in early movie days the producers and directors were mostly of Eastern European heritage. They were told, in English, that a story had a climax. They mistook that as "Climb, Max". And they wrote in the climbing scene at the end of movies. Now it is part of the formula. Don't believe me? Watch the bad guy climb somewhere at the end of a movie.

They are what we call rut runners, always did it that way and never change.

Same drum roll for every prat fall too. And every construction worker has a Brooklyn accent.

Movies and TV are just as predictable as a country music song..... I'm in a bar, my wife left me, the dog died, my house burned down.

Why not the irritating music for car shows. They just copy. Now, when it comes to being really irritating they can't hold a candle to me.

Bernie

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)

53 minutes ago, 60FlatTop said:

...They were told, in English, that a story had a climax. They mistook that as "Climb, Max". And they wrote in the climbing scene at the end of movies...

At least they didn't mistake it for "orgasm"  ;)

...Movies and TV are just as predictable as a country music song..... I'm in a bar, my wife left me, the dog died, my house burned down...

"Well, a friend of mine named Steve Goodman wrote that song
And he told me it was the perfect country & western song
I wrote him back a letter and I told him it was not the perfect country & western song
Because he hadn't said anything at all about mama
Or trains, or trucks, or prison, or getting' drunk

Well, he sat down and wrote another verse to the song and he sent it to me
And after reading it I realized that my friend had written the perfect country & western song
And I felt obliged to include it on this album
The last verse goes like this here
Well, I was drunk the day my mom got out of prison
And I went to pick her up in the rain
But before I could get to the station in my pickup truck
She got run over by a damned old train"

• Like 1

Essence captured.

I think you know the part of Mew York I live in, between Rochester and Buffalo.

I have the fixings for a song in my memories.

147823966_001(6).thumb.jpg.6309828e24eb1e3f1f7c277e86b333c8.jpg

Looking in the rear view mirror of that Ford at a man surrounded by dust in The Hitching Post Bar parking lot, a cast on his leg waving the crutch he broke my windshield with the FIRST time I buzzed him. Them Fords will sneak up on a person like a train. I think Dave Donnelly was singing that night.

Picture is on the Ess's at Watkins Glen, bending the rules to be there, too.

I'll be thinking about that story sitting across from my wife at supper in a few minutes. And what she don't know won't hurt her.

Bernie

What is Full Custom?  I probably agree with you about the music.  Last month, I went to see the musical The Book of Mormon.  I was told it was good and very funny.  I paid $82 for the ticket.  They amplify the music to ear splitting levels and I was stuck in my seat in the middle of a long row at the opera house.  I didn't have any Kleenex on me so I couldn't stuff my ears.  I ripped up my ticket and tried to stuff that in my ears, but it didn't work.  My brother tells me that rock concerts are much louder than this.  I guess that's why I've never been to a rock concert!  I wasn't able to escape until intermission.  Watching this thing was pure torture.  i had to plug my ears with my fingers the whole act.  But every other person in my group was actually enjoying this disgusting thing.  No accounting for taste, I guess.  I'm used to going to the opera where the music is not amplified.  

Edited by marcapra (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Interesting thread.

I like watching the show. I think Ian Roussel is very talented and creative.

I can't say that I ever noticed the music.

I must be one of those individualistic conformists. :-)

1 hour ago, marcapra said:

I'm used to going to the opera where the music is not amplified.  

Yes brother, the Flower Duet from Lakme' by Delibes. The finest 7 minutes to ever grace a stage.

If one listens and isn't moved by this piece, someone had better check them for a pulse.

Interesting moment: I was at this opera years ago and as this piece finished a little girl, sitting with her parents a few rows back was heard quite clearly when she said "This must be the music people hear when they go to Heaven."

I can't say which of the two moved me more.

On 8/14/2019 at 2:41 PM, Don A485 said:

I love watch Full Custom.  But the background music is so irritating!!  Why the music?  I get it, he isn't talking every minute but I would rather hear nothing than that music.

I never noticed the music until I read this thread.  It doesn't bother me, its just there. But then I have music going most of the time of 1 type or another.