What

tentenths

18 hours ago, tentenths said:

On this side of the pond we receive few pennies for your bucks these days with

no sign of improvement in the foreseeable future, the Euro seems ready to collapse...

Thank you for the insights from Europe.  I hadn't

heard of those economic difficulties in the American

news, but perhaps I just missed them.

Americans buying a car from Europe is a good possibility.

Those Americans experienced in doing that might bring back

a few American cars.  But most people here are unfamiliar

with how to do so, so selling to Americans might not produce

many potential buyers.

Please don't worry.  For many years under fixed exchange rates,

the British pound was worth about $5.00 U. S.  (That's why

our old $5 half-eagle gold coin is about the same size as a 

British gold sovereign.)  These days, exchange rates are

allowed to fluctuate, and other markets fluctuate as well,

based on the enthusiasm or fear of people as a group.

The euro has been worth less than a dollar before.

As one wise man once said satirically, experts have

successfully predicted 10 out of the last 5 recessions! 

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I'm involved in trade that appeals to global markets as well as domestic. I used to sell quite a bit to European markets, I haven't shipped anything out of the country in about two years. Even Australia sales have stopped. The "problem" is our dollar is getting stronger against foreign currency and strengthening our buying power and weakening theirs. Good or bad, It is what it is, I'll opt for the strong dollar.

Correlating that in relation to diminishing antique car prices, I don't think there is much of a connection. As I recall it 20 years ago, there was a flurry of people saying cars were a wise investment because the stock market and real estate were flat-lining and big money invested heavily in old iron and drove the prices up. The Stock Market has been on a meteoric rise in the last few years, so that is where the money is going out of the antique car market. The car prices are simply adjusting to more realistic values without the investors. Of course as all things do, it looks like the stock market is about to make some adjustments.

That is how I see it and understand it.

-Ron

• Like 3

1 hour ago, tentenths said:

you have Mr T who believes the Chinese will roll over , which they will not.

China or no other country is in any position to barter with or demand anything from us on trade - at all, never have been. That's what started the 1865 Civil war by the way -Tariffs. For 50 years we've been handing Asia our economy unabated. It's going to stop. Even the minimal steps taken thus far are what is strengthening our dollar.

As I mentioned above, I've been involved in international trade for many years and I've shipped to about every country that I legally could. Every one of them has a Tariff, Duty or GST (all taxes) on our goods coming in, we had nothing on any of theirs coming in here. I even provided discounts to folks in foreign countries to offset the import tax. They do it to protect their country, good for them, and we're going to start protecting ours too.

You're concerned about England and rightly so, Your politicians have been doing the same thing regarding trade, that was the reasoning behind the ROHS compliance standards under the guise of banning lead for environmental reasons, no it was to curb the Chinese imports containing lead which many of them did at that time. Looks like that wasn't very effective. ROHS banned the import of products containing lead, targeting lead solder in electronic components much of which came in from China, but the sale of lead-acid batteries for automobiles was still permitted. Easy to figure out the intent.

The term "Globalism" is just a buzz-word for the fleecing of rich economies. Thankfully we have seen the light over here and changed directions.

-Ron

Edited by Locomobile (see edit history)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, tentenths said:

The current crop elected to lead our countries are causing mayhem.

Speak for yourself and don't worry about us. Our economy is stronger than it has been for several decades and unemployment is at a 50 year low. Everyone here who wants to work has lots of choices of what to do and where to do it. For example, the starting pay for a school bus driver with no experience in Louisville is $20.75 an hour because many didn't like the split shift and have moved on to better jobs. Hopefully your situation over there will improve soon....

• Like 4

Florida is the same: very low cost of living for natives (no income tax) because we soak the tourists.

"British pound was worth about $5.00 U. S." Ah yess I remember it well: around 1962. Near sixty years ago and gasoline was 18c/gal regular & 22c/gal premium. Things have changed.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, tentenths said:

Apple made him reverse his taxes

First of all, from what I have seen so far, no one makes Trump do anything. And I think you have some bad intel on that story, from what I understand, Apple is crying foul and refusing to pay tariffs, but as I wrote above, they too are in no position to barter. Last I read, Trump told them they are going to pay tariffs and they should build their phones here if they wish to avoid them. They tried to cut a deal by investing $350B here. Trump knows these changes have to be done in small steps and that's what he is doing. I wouldn't confuse what he hasn't done with what he will do. The thrust is definitely that direction.

Not to be argumentative but several of your points are dated and skewed and how it used to be here, or simply wrong. And Apple is not our largest company, never was. Lot's of things changing quickly here with our economy, and it looks to be and hopefully is for the better.

Trump was voted in on the promise that he would address the staggering trade imbalance with China. He won't be voted because he's doing what he promised. From what I can tell talking to people and the chatter on the internet, he has far more support this time around.

Okay, sorry I'm done with the politics.

-Ron

• Like 2

The thought of buying former US collectible cars that had been shipped the Europe and bringing them back at bargain prices brings a smile. I am somewhat responsible for getting 30 or more over there.

I'll pass on that option. Do you really know why you got such good deals on them? There is a warehouse in southeast Asia full of rose colored Ray Bans awaiting distribution.

As a seller, if you believe you know what I am thinking and I don't tell you, I figure I am at a great advantage. That "Mr T" referred to might agree with me.

For hobby related stuff I like the term, Sport Selling, and I never was into team sports.

Bernie

33 minutes ago, tentenths said:

Ron

I'm not knocking T as he is perfectly able of doing this himself as is our dear own clown Bozo who is T's best new mate " for the moment ".

You have to give T credit for what he wants to do in the U.S and it will make a big difference for sure if he is allowed to do it but he does go off on tangents and what's happened to his very best mate Kim Jong-un ?

T doesn't give a monkeys about anyone including those who have insulted him in the past . They include Bozo , Putin. Macron and our E.U. German Fraulein to name but a few and any of the others who won't buy arms in the Middle East and nearly forgot the Turkish guy.

Didn't T have a go at the Canadian guy , the bloke from Mexico  and I will have missed some but didn't he go for  the Chinese guy whose name escapes me for the moment.

I don't take politics seriously anymore as none of the current crop do either. 

We read over here about the other lot in the States planning what to do when they get back in and we have an unofficial communist comrade in opposition to Bozo in our once proud parliament so its a no win for us at the moment.

Don't take it too seriously , just enjoy the banter for what it is.

Stewart

P.S An apple a day keeps the was it taxman or doctor away , can't remember.

I am afraid the Canadian guy is deep in a mess of his own making. Huge disappointment to many Canadians of all stripes.

Greg in Canada

• Like 2

When I first heard there was a crisis at the border I thought it was all those celebrities whom were going to leave the US for Canada on November 5th. Imagine my surprise to learn it was the border where Davy Crocket was shot 150 years ago.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Apple took Napster, which was stolen music shared for free online as mp3 files, and turned it into ITunes with downloads of songs only $1. That is very attractive compared to buying CD's for $14 each back then. Plus legitimate not stolen music. Millions of $1 song downloads.

That was a smart business development idea. Make tons of money with millions of small transactions. Before that you had Apple selling Macintosh home computers. And Sony had the Walkman. Apple could then sell the Ipod, but the real revenue stream was the song downloads that followed.

• Like 1

When I first heard there was a crisis at the border I thought it was all those celebrities whom were going to leave the US for Canada on November 5th. Imagine my surprise to learn it was the border where Davy Crocket was shot 150 years ago.

Just curious Bernie, did you corner the market on buying short bus's????????????????????

you know, to give the celebs rides across the border.....................

:)

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, mercer09 said:

Just curious Bernie, did you corner the market on buying short bus's????????????????????

you know, to give the celebs rides across the border.....................

I wasn't driving with a bunch of bad acters.

and I couldn't get Patrick Stewart to drive the lead bus.

Picard.jpg.f6c655f26ac7bfba190c7a6a5768267b.jpg

I am impressed that this thread could proceed without negative comments, personal attacks, and general overall criticism today. It kept on topic about economics, trade, and political leaders........BRAVO! But it still pains me to have any comments of a political nature here, as this is the only place on the internet that hasn’t been polluted with negative comments and issues. PLEASE, while I have enjoyed this thread........let it die just the way it is. I enjoyed the comments in their entirety. Ed

• Like 2

1 hour ago, edinmass said:

I am impressed that this thread could proceed without negative comments, personal attacks, and general overall criticism today. It kept on topic about economics, trade, and political leaders........BRAVO! But it still pains me to have any comments of a political nature here, as this is the only place on the internet that hasn’t been polluted with negative comments and issues. PLEASE, while I have enjoyed this thread........let it die just the way it is. I enjoyed the comments in their entirety. Ed

I am too. I got this for saying much less in may. 

And I might add that you can't talk about the future of our hobby, the future of the type of gasoline we use and will use in the future, air pollution, Legislation that effects car owners, the economy and how it effects our hobby. All these things are controlled by the politicians. Talk about policy and which politicians effect us and you get what I got.

Tread lightly on this site folks.

Penalty

• Given 10 points which will never expire.
  • Content moderated - 29 days and 23 hours

Note for member

you broke the forum rules with your political comments. 

Do it again and you'll be banned.

Edited by Pfeil (see edit history)