Sign in to follow this  
Mark Gregory

Most Expensive new car ever sold Bugatti La Voiture Noire $18 Million

One-of-a-kind Bugatti La Voiture Noire becomes the most expensive new car EVER sold after being snapped up by secret buyer for $18.7million

• Bugatti's $18.7M La Voiture Noire will make its US debut Sunday at Pebble Beach Concours D'Elegance
  • The one-of-a-kind car was sold to secret buyer based only off sketch the French carmaker showed him
  • Soccer superstar Cristiano Ronaldo denied rumors he was the buyer; Floyd Mayweather was also named
  • The car will be finished in 2021, with a 8.0-liter turbocharged W16 engine that can reach 260mph

Edited by Mark Gregory (see edit history)

Almost 19 million dollars and that's all the better they could do for wheels? Looks like the same ones my 1987 Chevy S-10 pick-up had 😄

Why did they paint spoke extensions onto the tires?

• Haha 1

I'm impressed by excellence, but never by money.

This car might be fun for a trained person to drive

on a track, but at the typical speeds of 60 or 70 m.p.h.,

it looks like a cramped, low-vision vehicle with a

front end that looks like a bottom-feeding fish!

I'd take a $20,000 collector car and have the

remaining $18,680,000 to save, invest, and donate.

Image result for bottom feeding fish

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 1

This car isn't for you guys. It is for guys who make a ridiculous amount of money by being born into a family that owns the land under which oil lives or who earn money by throwing or kicking balls [insert your joke here]. The point isn't beauty or practicality, it's to be a bespoke one-of-none that nobody else has. And while the money seems massive, I bet in perspective and with inflation, the person who bought, say, the Duesenberg "20 Grand" or a Bugatti Royale back when they were new spent roughly the same amount to have a bespoke, one-of-a-kind, coachbuilt machine that caused a stir everywhere it would go.

This car will never have more than 900 miles on it anyway. The first owner will drive it to a nightclub or some movie premiere, then it'll sit long enough to have deferred maintenance issues. Then it'll float through the auction circuit every few years. Every owner after that will drive it 9 or 10 miles out of curiosity and then park it as well. That's the life cycle of something like this, sadly enough. 

If you can, you can. If you can't, maybe you won't get it and you're not supposed to anyway. Most people think rich people are also smart. More and more I find the inverse to be true.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

This car will never have more than 900 miles on it anyway. The first owner will drive it to a nightclub or some movie premiere, then it'll sit long enough to have deferred maintenance issues. Then it'll float through the auction circuit every few years. Every owner after that will drive it 9 or 10 miles out of curiosity and then park it as well. That's the life cycle of something like this, sadly enough. 

Insert $20,000 collector car, leave maintenance issues (can't go to the wife again) and change to parked in the garage to become the car with the name not to be spoken.

It was such a small amount of the retirement savings and investment program. And he always wanted an old car.

I think the comparison to the Duesenberg Twenty Grand is a fair point.  And I agree that typically these types of cars don’t ever see many road miles.  They are more akin to artwork.  Which begs the question of how much use did the Twenty Grand actually see?  I’ve seen it in person at the Nethercutt and it is stunning.  The silver paint and leather were cutting edge at the time.  It’s really the type of thing you have to see in person to realize how it must have felt to see it when it was new, there would have been nothing like it.

31 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

Most people think rich people are also smart. More and more I find the inverse to be true.

What's that line from Forrest Gump?.... "Stupid is as stupid does.".

As for myself:    Everything I need I have in abundance. Every thing I want I can easily afford. Everything else is just stuff. Personally, I'm far more "well off" than the fool that felt he needs that thing..............Bob

• Like 1

Lots of cars I want but can't quite afford.  And I doubt many of us ever have the shop set up we nearly all think about in a contemplative mood.  Auburnseeker excepted.  However I would rather have the least desirable pre- war Bugatti than this status symbol. Even a pre - war Bugatti that came home in boxes in the back of a pick up truck.

Greg in Canada

In 1933 the Twenty Grand was no where near the highest priced car sold that year. The actual number for highest priced pre war that I am familiar with is 28,300 in 1933. There may be others........

43 minutes ago, Modeleh said:

there would have been nothing like it.

Better than your first love's first kiss? Better than your first look at your wife to be in her wedding dress? Better than your first look at your wife holding your new child? Better than your first solo flight as your gear leaves the ground? Better than your military graduation and you realize your are now a MAN?

I think not.............Bob

Either one of the name possible buyers can easily afford the $19 million price.  It would be about 8% of Mayweathers earnings and only about 4% or Ronaldos $460 million net worth.  If we look at the average income in the United States as being about $70,000 per year that would be like  a $5,600 car for Mayweather and a $2,800 car for Ronaldo.  Not even the cost of a good used car.  I say who ever the buyer is good for them and good for all the employees of Bugatti.  A lot of good jobs for French auto worker.

I'm glad rich people like to spend their money,  if they didn't there would be a lot fewer jobs.

My question is: why is it going to Pebble Beach when they could use the time to finish the car😊  just saying.

• Thanks 1

How much will it depreciate as soon as the buyer drives it out of the showroom?  😁😁

Just an observation but in general the first generation that made the fortune is smart. It is the second and succeeding generations...

ps a million what ? (I have Monopoly sets full of currencies that failed, like to play with real money.)

Edited by padgett (see edit history)

Jay Leno himself stated the purchase of a certain vehicle clearly put him in the " more money than brains club".  And I am sure it didn't cost him anything close to 18 million. I think it was the motorcycle with the small helicopter gas turbine.

Greg in Canada

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)