Diamond Back SS

Chimera

15 hours ago, Chimera said:

These are not the best of photos to look at, but may give an idea.

On a side note, make sure if someone ships you an older vehicle, that they tape down some of the chrome/stainless pieces. Notice the missing on the back window and front windshield is loose. It must have been a bumpy ride!

PS: I like redlines on most GS, but I hear the redlines from DB are hard to get clean if dirtied...

71GS.jpg

TripleblackGS.jpg

Screen Shot 2021-03-25 at 2.07.41 PM.png

Thanks, that helps.

Any last opinions on what size tire might look good in my 71?  I'm leaning towards the 235/70R15 Diamondback III with Dual Stripe as I believe that was fairly standard on the 71.  Haven't been able to find to many additional pics of different size tires on a 71 so open to opinions.  Thanks!

Damon

The 71 originally came with H78 x 15 bias ply tires.  Conversion charts show tha size converts to either a 225/75 or a 235/70 x 15 tire in today’s radial sizing.  The factory advertising that I’ve seen for the 1971 Riviera all show the car equipped with a single stripe white sidewall.

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

1 hour ago, RivNut said:

The 71 originally came with H78 x 15 bias ply tires.  Conversion charts show tha size converts to either a 225/75 or a 235/70 x 15 tire in today’s radial sizing.  The factory advertising that I’ve seen for the 1971 Riviera all show the car equipped with a single stripe white sidewall.

Ed,

Maybe I misread it but I thought in the 1971 write-up on rivowners.org that the dual stripe was standard.  I will have to confirm when I get home and can find the password.   I think I would like to be as correct as possible but to be fair I do like both the dual stripe and triple stripe!

Thanks,

Damon

I Googled "1971 Buick Riviera advertisements" and opened the images.  All I saw were cars with the single white sidewall.  The only year that I'm sure of that offered the dual stripe white sidewall was the 1965.  As I said "that I'm sure of."  I'd love to see other document by Buick.  No myths from guys trying to remember what they thought they saw 50 years ago, please.  Buick documentation for any other years that offered the dual stripe white sidewall.  In typing this and doing the math, it's hard to believe that the original boat tail Riviera is 50 years old this year.

Ed

Good day,

From the same site, although tough to tell, it looks like the '69 offered the triple stripe...

http://www.oldcaradvertising.com/Buick/1969/1969 Buick Ad-02.html

EDIT: Didn't really pay much attention to the setting of this ad, seems odd. I'm pretty certain that if I was golfing and happened to see a car parked in the middle of the fairway, regardless of the car, there's a pretty good chance I wouldn't be going for the green on my next shot... 😊

1969 Buick Ad-02.jpg

Edited by MikeJS (see edit history)

22 hours ago, MikeJS said:

Ed, good day

Not sure if you checked here but these look dual stripe...

http://www.oldcaradvertising.com/Buick/1971/1971 Buick Ad-03.html

Later,

1971 Buick Ad-03.jpg

I did go back and check in Darwin Falk’s write up on the ROA website and he does say something like 95% had the dual stripe.  They do look nice so I may just go with them. Thanks!