Sign in to follow this  
Chimera

Diamond Back SS

Recommended Posts

Hi Chimera,

I bought the SS, nice tires, but had to return them because the 15 wheel I bought would not fit my car (64 Riviera).  So sent them and traded them fr the 17 DB2 redlines.  Should have them next week.  Going with US MAG U111 17x7 and 17x8.

 

Art

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I bought the Diamond Back triple stripe white walls after waffling between their red stripes and the triple stripe white walls.

 

Either way, their in house tires are very well made and handle very well.

 

20190415_151023.thumb.jpg.e75ca1410e828304aecda4b437bcdfd6.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/19/2019 at 9:24 AM, NC1968Riviera said:

I bought the Diamond Back triple stripe white walls after waffling between their red stripes and the triple stripe white walls.

 

Either way, their in house tires are very well made and handle very well.

 

20190415_151023.thumb.jpg.e75ca1410e828304aecda4b437bcdfd6.jpg

I think you made the right choice on those triple whites. Redlines are super cool, but going with original when there is such good style is never going wrong!

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/14/2019 at 12:20 PM, awk409ak said:

Hi Chimera,

I bought the SS, nice tires, but had to return them because the 15 wheel I bought would not fit my car (64 Riviera).  So sent them and traded them fr the 17 DB2 redlines.  Should have them next week.  Going with US MAG U111 17x7 and 17x8.

 

Art

The tires did not fit on your wheels why? They are not original 64 tires?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Chimera said:

The tires did not fit on your wheels why? They are not original 64 tires?

No, no.  My wheels did not fit on the car.  I had ordered some 15x7 and 15x8 that did not fit over the drums.  Had to ship back the tires and wheels.  Went with 17x7 and 17x8 and the DB redlines.1651683043_20190822_18114732577.thumb.jpg.99fa8f2f3d051f918227ea4052d8c56b.jpg467566310_20190822_18111932572.thumb.jpg.577413fed967b51253f1ec2265c417d2.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Love DBs tires and they are so nice to deal with. Only complaint I and others have with red lines is that the red fades/mutes over time even if car stays in garage out of sun.  It’s like the black behind the red gradually bleeds into the red and takes the brightness away. But they are still the best we can get for the Riv in a redline. If I had a car that did not come with redlines from factory I probably would not buy them.  

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What about Coker for redlines? I have a set on my Wildcat and dont have any issues with them...

Tom

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JZRIV said:

Love DBs tires and they are so nice to deal with. Only complaint I and others have with red lines is that the red fades/mutes over time even if car stays in garage out of sun.  It’s like the black behind the red gradually bleeds into the red and takes the brightness away. But they are still the best we can get for the Riv in a redline. If I had a car that did not come with redlines from factory I probably would not buy them.  

 

Thanks for the information, because I was thinking of getting the DBs as I was under the delusion that the redline was more pronounced. 

 

Any GS Riviera I tend to want to put Redlines on personally (if they had the option to come with that year). An I even put some on my triple green 67 (non-GS), but yeah for non-GS the three lined white walls are a good idea from DB.

 

You say the redline fading is the only complaint, but thats kinda a big deal. They should fix that IMO. 

 

As far as handling, who knows, but I noticed the DB SS are rated at one level higher in speed than the Coker's and the DBII or III or even slightly higher. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think Coker has anywhere near the sizes available as DB does.  The ones I got DBII, are actually Z rated and they are directional, not that I need it, but because they are 17"s.  I'll tell you they look Great.  I can always go back and re-install my Buick rallys with the white walls for that stock look.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I understand it correctly , Coker is producing tires in their own molds.  Diamond Back is taking current production tires from different companies and laminating the sidewall you want to the tire.   Can a yone verify this?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, awk409ak said:

I don't think Coker has anywhere near the sizes available as DB does.  The ones I got DBII, are actually Z rated and they are directional, not that I need it, but because they are 17"s.  I'll tell you they look Great.  I can always go back and re-install my Buick rallys with the white walls for that stock look.

 

Coker does have a very close to accurate original size with these Silvertown 225/70R15 BFGodrich Redlines I shared a link to above. 

 

Whats the directional mean? Is the Z rating tractional or what? Sorry, I'm not exactly a tire expert! hehe.

 

I spoke to DB on the phone about the SS yet forget what brad of tire they start with. I think DB specifically came out with the SS tire recently to compete with the price point of the Coker's because they are about the same price point (a bit cheaper) and about the same ratings (maybe slightly better) and there advertising says "Introducing our new Diamond Back SS line! This tire offers a lower price alternative to our DBIII while still satisfying most 50,60,65, and 70 series sizes. With a nostalgic 70s style tread, a T speed rating, and a 440AB UTQG, the Diamond Back SS is an affordable, quality tire.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rivnut,

You are correct.  The tires go though a vulcanization process to add whatever strip you want.  The DB SS is similar to the BFG T/A's, but at a lower price, pretty much the same spec too(don't recall the brand)  The DBII are TOYO and DB III are BFG T/A's.  I miss stated, mine are the DB FT in 17's, I believe Z speed rated, and directional.  Directional is they have a right and left tire for rotation, because of the thread design(more of a performance tire) .

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

AND, Diamond Back is MUCH easier when it ever comes time for a warranty.  When I had my shop there were a few times I had to use the warranty as I can't afford to have a customers car in my shop for 3-4 weeks waiting on a replacement.  Normally a replacement was 2-3 days. All I had to do was send a pic.   The tires they sell are top quality name brand tires. NO JUNK!!!  If wanted they will strip off ALL nomenclature from the inside.

I ALSO recommend getting the warranty they offer. CHEAP insurance if something WERE to go wrong.

 

Tom T.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tom T. Interesting point you brought up about warranty. I had a warranty issue with Coker’s bias redlines years ago and they refused to honor it. Clearly had a defective tread issue sent detailed pictures, tried talking to different reps at Coker but basically while not direct words, they told me to pound salt. Maybe they’ve improved their warranty responsibility today but it was such a horrible experience I have little desire to give them business. Having said that they do offer many unavailable tires supporting the antique industry. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

EXACTLY,  what I was trying in a-round-about-way to say.  I'm not knocking what Coker has to offer, BUT if time comes when a warranty would apply they are not actually very accommodating.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Chimera said:

 

Whats the directional mean? Is the Z rating tractional or what? Sorry, I'm not exactly a tire expert! hehe.

High performance tires are designed to roate in one direction only.  The markings on the sidewall tell you which direction the tires should rotate.   Has to do with directional stability that other tires don't have at high speeds and they also displace water better.  The ones I've had are only good in the summer.  Like a pig on ice in the snow.  

 

HeroArticleDirectionalTiresDesktop_2048.thumb.jpg.b1a4045848c4979c48860b578571d494.jpg

 

The Z rating is a speed rating. S and T are the most common ratings for passenger tires, respectively they're good up to 112 and 118 mph.  Z rated tires are rated at 149+ mph. 

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rivnut,

Right again.  Mine are 225/55 and 255/55ZR17.  These are the DB FT.  Pictured is the 225/55ZR17

1697806460_20190824_16354932586.thumb.jpg.9eea4dc30b6261d34ff1cc7108141f64.jpg

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For the most part Coker doesn't offer high performance tires.. Besides the speed rating the sidewalls are usually much stiffer making our wallowing cars more stable at speed not that MOST of us here care about, BUT when it comes time to order new tires for my '64 Riv. I will AGAIN be looking at DB myself as I would like a higher speed rating & a stiffer sidewall so my Riv. WILL CORNER EVEN BETTER!!!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎8‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 7:08 PM, 1965rivgs said:

What about Coker for redlines? I have a set on my Wildcat and dont have any issues with them...

Tom

Tom,

Do you have 225/70s by chance?

After studying the dimensional specs from the original 8.45 then converting to P metric, the 225/75  seemed closest which is what I was after. I do not believe Coker offers the redline in a 225/75.....or if they did, I did not see them on their website at the time of my purchase.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I put those 225/70 on my 67. Decent tire and looks nice. Overall it seems worth it to order the DB for a higher quality tire and more accurate size, even though the redline fades and reportedly the tires don't clean up well.

 

I noticed the original spare in my 71 is 225/75R15.

 

Whats the math on these FR70 firestone? 

 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Coker-Tire-62500-Firestone-Wide-Oval-Tire-FR70-15-Redline-Sidewall-Radial/401785329320?epid=5017537247&hash=item5d8c4596a8:g:GicAAOSwzUVdAg41

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

 

 

According to this  chart, the FR 70 15 tire is comparable to a 6.70 x 15 tire -- not available on the  Riviera - a tire more likely found on a smaller car. A comparable tire would the a 205/75R15.  Just a little small for a Riviera. You could run it but your speedometer would be way off and you'd be turning more tire and  engine revolutions per mile and your (already poor) mileage would suffer.  The 1963 Corvette would have come out with this size tire.  

 

The standard Riviera 7.10 x 15 would be comparable to the G series tires and 

the optional Riviera  7.60 would be comparable to the H series.

 

The suggested radial tire for the standard 7.10 x 15 tire is the 215/75R15 and the

the suggested radial tire for the optional 7.60 x 15 tire is the 225/75R15.

 

 

TIRE SIZE CONVERSION CHART

1949
to
1964
1965
to
1970
1970
to
1980
1960
to
Present
1980
to
Present
NUMERIC ALPHA NUMERIC* EURO-METRIC P-METRIC EURO-METRIC or P-METRIC
"90-" to "80"-series 78- to 50-series "82"-series 80-, 75-series 70-series 65-series 60-series 50-series
5.20-10     145R10   165/70R10      
5.20-12     145R12 P145/80R12 165/70R12      
5.60-12 6.00-12   155R12 P155/80R12        
            165/65R13    
      145R13          
      155R13 P155/80R13 175/70R13   195/60R13 215/50R13
5.60-13 6.00-13 A 165R13 P165/80R13 185/70R13   205/60R13  
  6.50-13 B 175R13 P175/80R13        
    C   P185/80R13        
  7.00-13 D 185R13          
      195R13          
5.60-14 6.00-14   145R14     175/65R14    
6.00-14 6.45-14   155R14   175/70R14 185/65R14    
    B 165R14 P175/75R14 185/70R14 195/65R14 205/60R14  
6.50-14 6.95-14 C 175R14 P185/75R14 195/70R14   215/60R14  
    D            
7.00-14 7.35-14 E 185R14 P195/75R14 205/70R14   225/60R14 245/50R14
7.50-14 7.75-14 F 195R14 P205/75R14 215/70R14   235/60R14  
8.00-14 8.25-14 G 205R14 P215/75R14 225/70R14   245/60R14 265/50R14
8.50-14 8.55-14 H 215R14 P225/75R14        
9.00-14   J 225R14          
9.50-14   L            
  5.60-15 A 155R15 P155/80R15   185/65R15 195/60R15  
6.00-15   B 165R15 P165/80R15 185/70R15 195/65R15 205/60R15 225/50R15
6.50-15 6.85-15 C 175R15   195/70R15 205/65R15 215/60R15  
    D            
  7.35-15 E 185R15 P195/75R15 205/70R15 215/65R15 225/60R15  
6.70-15 7.75-15 F 195R15 P205/75R15 215/70R15   235/60R15  
  8.15-15              
7.10-15   G 205R15 P215/75R15 225/70R15 235/65R15 245/60R15 265/50R15
  8.25-15              
  8.45-15              
7.60-15   H 215R15 P225/75R15 235/70R15   255/60R15 275/50R15
  8.55-15              
8.00-15 8.85-15 J 225R15 P225/75R15 235/70R15   265/60R15  
8.20-15 9.00-15 K            
  9.15-15 L 235R15 P235/75R15 255/70R15   275/60R15 295/50R15
    N          

 

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Chimera said:

I put those 225/70 on my 67. Decent tire and looks nice. Overall it seems worth it to order the DB for a higher quality tire and more accurate size, even though the redline fades and reportedly the tires don't clean up well.

 

I noticed the original spare in my 71 is 225/75R15.

 

Whats the math on these FR70 firestone? 

 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Coker-Tire-62500-Firestone-Wide-Oval-Tire-FR70-15-Redline-Sidewall-Radial/401785329320?epid=5017537247&hash=item5d8c4596a8:g:GicAAOSwzUVdAg41

 

Gabriel,

So you have a radial original spare in the 71? I didn't think they were offered in 71. I know prior to that yes but thought they stopped offering the radial in 71 for some reason???. Have you deciphered the spare date code? That'd be a very rare tire if factory original.

 

The F 70 is too small for a Riv IMO. I ran the Coker F70 Bias on the 67 GS and they worked to avoid a point loss at BCA as it was the closest thing available to the H70. They will function OK though look small, but not terribly so. That was one of the dumbest decisions I made over the years in the hobby by buying them to avoid point loss at a show. It enabled a gold senior which was nice but today that is worth about 2oz of sour owl crap!:D:(

Edited by JZRIV (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, JZRIV said:

 

Gabriel,

So you have a radial original spare in the 71? I didn't think they were offered in 71. I know prior to that yes but thought they stopped offering the radial in 71 for some reason???. Have you deciphered the spare date code? That'd be a very rare tire if factory original.

 

The F 70 is too small for a Riv IMO. I ran the Coker F70 Bias on the 67 GS and they worked to avoid a point loss at BCA as it was the closest thing available to the H70. They will function OK though look small, but not terribly so. That was one of the dumbest decisions I made over the years in the hobby by buying them to avoid point loss at a show. It enabled a gold senior which was nice but today that is worth about 2oz of sour owl crap!:D:(

 

Yeah, good point. I assumed it was the original tire, yet need to check the date code. Whoever owned the 71 previously put 235/75R15 whitewall on, yet with a 225/75R15 in the trunk.

 

 

20160827_121225.jpg

20150823_225633.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this