what is it?

Pierce Arrow sill plates. what year and models?

I believe that style sill was used from 1932 until 1935.  As to a specific year and model, someone with the exact car who could take measurements could tell you best.

It's my opinion that these are virtually impossible to restore correctly, due to the intricate design that, once damaged, is difficult to repair.  I'm sure it's been done, though.

Best guess......1933 club sedan.......that have zero value. I have a trash barrel full of them. Wall hanger or scrap heap.

My dear friend Ed is at Pebble Beach this week, so we can forgive him for essentially saying "if it ain't mint, it's junk."  Pierce doorsills WERE being reproduced (Google can't find them today) but some of uswant to upgrade short of buying repros and making the rest of our cars look shabby.  For example, a friend is bringing back a 1926 Series 80 commercial 5-door sedan that was a "field find," far worse than a barn find, and which will be a ratty driver.  Alas, these sill plates are not Series 80.  Likewise, these plates don't buff out well.  Their value is quite modest, and they would have to be better than a potential buyer's own units.

I agree that these are pre-1936 (script changed), perhaps as early as 1929.  GENERALLY, Pierce made long doors and short doors, both front and rear, depending on wheelbase.  For example, the length of the ROLLED portion of the sills on my 1934 144" wb Silver Arrow coupe measures 43 inches (front only, it's a COUPE).  My 1936 standard wheelbase (139") sedan (short front door, short rear door) has rolled-portion measurements of 37 front and 26 rear.  My 1930 roadster's rolled portion is 24.5.

To market these effectively, you'd need MUCH better photos.

• Like 2

George.......it wasn’t the condition, it’s the supply. There are lots of them kicking around because of all the reproduction units installed. We must have a barrel full of them back at the shop.

Ed, I quite agree with the reason there are so many in bins everywhere--but when have you last seen any of them offered?  See you on Ocean Ave. tomorrow....

• Like 1

I’ll chime in on when I last saw some... There was a full set on eBay right after I bought my 31, say April or early May, that were marginally better than the ones on my car. I didn’t buy them but I think they sold for under $25 which really surprised me after seeing the price of other parts!

• Like 2

That’s what happens when you keep buying piles of junk from peoples garages.