A Very Unusual 1990 Reatta Convertible

Guest Brolliar

Guest Brolliar

I looked at a very unusual Reatta Convertible last week. It was a white 1990 with white wheels which had black Reatta center disks. The interior was done in three colors red, white and black. It had white seats and red, possibly flame red, carpets. The top horizontal part of the dash was black. The owner said he thought it was all original and that the first owner had been a Buick dealer. Barney thought it might be a Select Sixty.

While I was considering whether to buy it or not, and arranging to look at it again, it sold sight un-seen to an out of town buyer.

Are others aware of any Reatta's with white wheels with black Reatta lug nut covers and three color interiors? Just curious??

The Select Sixty interior would be white door panels, white seats, the carpet, dash and steering wheel would be 1991 flame red...and yes the front part of the dash would be black as it is with several interior colors in '90-91.

I am guessing some other hub caps were substituted, I have never search to see what others would fit. Did you get the vin number? or take any pictures.

The good ones don't last long.

Lesabre T- Type , 86-88 used the reatta wheel or the reattas used a lesabre T-Type wheel. Lesabre used a black plastic cap that will also snape on your reatta.TO me, Buick design staff could have picked a better looking wheel to use on the hand crafted Reatta. Thats the one thing I want to change on our 90 conv, maybe using the 97-2003 Regal GS 16" chrome plated aluminum wheel

Bill

Guest Brolliar

Barney, thanks for the information about the black dash on some 90-91's. Previously I hadn't seen any Reatta's with a black dash. Also, unfortunately I didn't have a camera with me when I looked at it.

I just talked with the former owner. The hubcaps were black with the Reatta R on them. He thinks the dealer's wife special ordered the three color interior and the black Reatta hubcaps. He also confirmed the car had the R hood ornament and pin stripes. The VIN number is 1G4EC33C8LB904686. Possibly with this information you can tell if it is a Select Sixty.

Whether it is a Select Sixty or not I think the new owner will be very pleased with the car. Although it had 102,000 miles it drove great and the interior looked almost like new.

Guest Brolliar

Mnreattaguy, the car sold for $10,500 in Huntsville, Alabama. Huntsville has around 150,000 people in the city and a little over 200,000 in the metro area. It might have sold for more in a larger city.

I'll have to let someone else answer you second question. My experience with Reatta's is here in Huntsville and visiting in Dallas where I grew up. Here the ones I see are usually red with a tan interior like mine. In Dallas most I see are on the road except for my brother's which is black with a tan interior.

Way cool photo, knew what it was before I read the caption. Interesting behind the canopy also. Have also seen photos of the shockwave that was set performing the land speed record runs through the speed of sound.

Before I get slapped by some of the self appointed " <span style="font-style: italic">police</span>" on the forum I'll reprimand myself with offtopic.gif

904686 is definately a Select Sixty. I have used my dealers computer to try and find all the SS cars (and Polo Green 1991's). When I key in the vin number, it gives me a screen that includes the model # and all the build codes.

On the Select Sixty, the key code is the interior seat code (116). 11= white and 6= leather seats. In 1990 the Select Sixty was the only Reatta with white seats. These cars were not built in one continious group, the first know SS is 904077 and the last was 904739. They were built between coupes and a very few other color convertibles in that 662 car range.

Dash colors

This is not gospel but it appears all '88-'89 cars has a one color dash. By one color, starting at the windshield to the instrument would be the same color as the interior. When the dash was changed in 1990, the front (near the windshield) was change to black on the lighter colors (particullary tan and grey) to reduce glare ..then at some point GM decided that it was easier (cheaper) to carry that part in only one color, so all Reattas had a black front section.

Barney;

I have two white 90 Convertibles, Neither one has any black on the dash. The burgandy interior is burgandy all the way to ther windshield and the light grey interior is the same all the way. I think they are both fairly late in the production line up. Charlie B.