DBKissel

Heat shield for exhaust pipe - 1925 Kissel Speedster

Does anyone have an idea where to buy asbestos like material to make a heat shield for an exhaust pipe?  My pipe is about 2 inches from the wood firewall and it seems to be quite dangerous.  The car has survived this long but it makes me nervous.  I have a piece of sheet metal on the firewall now- spaced off about 1/4 inch to reflect some heat.  Would prefer to wrap the pipe if a material exists.

IMG_1369_resize.JPG

There is a special material made for this purpose, used to insulate headers and exhaust pipes on race cars and hot rods. Look on popular hot rod type parts sites like Summit Racing.

• Like 1

CB,

Use Summit Racings "lava rock wrap".

Worked very well on my '40 Buick from the carb base al the way to the muffler, because the pipe runs real close to the master cylinder.

Mike in Colorado

Did your car originally use the "corrugated" style of asbestos  insulation?

Looks like cardboard box material.

Often using metal bands with fold over tabs to hold insulation in place?

On 8/13/2019 at 9:24 AM, Rusty_OToole said:

There is a special material made for this purpose, used to insulate headers and exhaust pipes on race cars and hot rods. Look on popular hot rod type parts sites like Summit Racing.

Thank you for your help. I ordered Heat Shield from Summit.   I'm really a "Newbie" at posting too.  I hope you see this.

• Like 1

DBKissel,

my Kissels all have this same exhaust configuration and with all my drivers, I have never had a problem with the wood being proximate to the exhaust. Did a lot of driving this weekend at the Woodward Dream Cruise in fact with no problem. Kissels run hot anyway and the engine compartment is usually really hot.

that being said, Kevlar sheet material can be used in place of asbestos in most any application. It’s available online. However, for judging an original car, you might get dinged for this kind of addition. 

Good luck.

Ron Hausmann P. E. 

Thx Ron,

I'm not going to show the car for judging, so that's not an issue.  I went with Heat Shield from Summit.  It's on, but haven't tested the effectiveness yet.

IMG_20190818_180851.jpg

We have used ceramic rope which can be found for industrial pipe insulation. It's good for 1500 degrees and Is white in color. It mimics asbestos rope that was used back in the day. Looks the part and would pass concours judging. There is also a fiberglass mat that can be wrapped around the pipe and cures when it dries. It was used on early cadillac and duesenberg header pipes. This can still be bought but is very pricey.