Radiator fan blade upgrade

Just for my own curiosity and close the book on cooling systems, has anyone changed out their 4 blade rad fan to a 5 or 6? I'm having a bit of difficulty trying to find something like a universal replacement to help cool the engine during "parade" speeds. Seems like a pretty simple upgrade if such exists. Thanks!

Others have used this fan on their straight-8 Buicks with some success:

https://www.summitracing.com/oh/parts/flx-1317/overview/

It's universal and if you paint it satin black, it won't stand out in your engine bay as aftermarket except to experts. It'll be a bit louder than a stock fan but should move quite a bit more air, particularly at idle. There are smaller versions that might fit better if 17 inches is too big for your core. I have one on the shelf just in case, but my car runs so cool that I don't worry about it. It's cheap enough to experiment with, I guess.

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)

2 hours ago, Summershandy said:

Spec as in original looking? Bolt spacing would be correct? I believe they should be 17".  I'm very interested!

yes the fans are pontiac original fans for air conditioning equipped 1954  (6 blades) and 1955-57 (5 blades), so yes original looking and correct bolt pattern. measures 18 inches

Edited by pontiac1953 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...