Summershandy

Radiator fan blade upgrade

Just for my own curiosity and close the book on cooling systems, has anyone changed out their 4 blade rad fan to a 5 or 6? I'm having a bit of difficulty trying to find something like a universal replacement to help cool the engine during "parade" speeds. Seems like a pretty simple upgrade if such exists. Thanks!

Posted (edited)

Others have used this fan on their straight-8 Buicks with some success:

https://www.summitracing.com/oh/parts/flx-1317/overview/

It's universal and if you paint it satin black, it won't stand out in your engine bay as aftermarket except to experts. It'll be a bit louder than a stock fan but should move quite a bit more air, particularly at idle. There are smaller versions that might fit better if 17 inches is too big for your core. I have one on the shelf just in case, but my car runs so cool that I don't worry about it. It's cheap enough to experiment with, I guess.

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)

9 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

It's universal and if you paint it satin black, it won't stand out in your engine bay as aftermarket except to experts.

Exactly why I was thinking about it...thanks Matt!

i have two 1954 pontiac a/c spec six blade fans, and two 1955 pontiac a/c spec five blade fans to try out.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, pontiac1953 said:

i have two 1954 pontiac a/c spec six blade fans, and two 1955 pontiac a/c spec five blade fans to try out

Spec as in original looking? Bolt spacing would be correct? I believe they should be 17".  I'm very interested!

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Summershandy said:

Spec as in original looking? Bolt spacing would be correct? I believe they should be 17".  I'm very interested!

yes the fans are pontiac original fans for air conditioning equipped 1954  (6 blades) and 1955-57 (5 blades), so yes original looking and correct bolt pattern. measures 18 inches

Edited by pontiac1953 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

This is one of my two 6 blade fans, measures 18 inches, the other one is from a 54 star chief a/c car that was being parted out, it needs cleaning and paint. 

20190818_110030.jpg

not a real good picture, but here's a original 55-57 five blade that came with the 55 287 pontiac V8 it is original to.

PICT0041.JPG

Charles,

1. Would you recommend installing a fan with more blades in my case? 
  2. Would you consider selling one of them?

Thanks,

Mark

9 hours ago, Summershandy said:

Charles,

1. Would you recommend installing a fan with more blades in my case? 
  2. Would you consider selling one of them?

Thanks,

Mark

yes to both your questions

I just sent you a message to discuss further. Wasn't sure if the forum is where you do business. 

I'll be out of town for the week starting Tuesday and won't have internet service, so don't think I'm ignoring you. Be back Saturday.

Thanks