stvaughn

Buying a hauler, advice appreciated

Per Larry's comments:

Yes, my forged aluminum 8-lug wheels on the 6000 lb axles of the Forest River trailer require a "THIN-WALL 6-POINT DEEP WELL 1/2in drive. Need to find a new one, as I had to use one with a 3/8 and a conversion on the "persuader". Using the Lark trailer this trip with a pair of 3500lb axles, my standard Cross-wrench worked, but maybe I'll get a fancy wrench for my birthday?

I currently use a breaker bar to start the removal process, and a torque wrench to complete the re-installation.

My old plastic ramp now slides and have not found a replacement. For the time being, I think I need to file in the grooved teeth so that it will "bite". On the trip home from the tour I used a board to get the "good" tire onto the rampso that the bad one was suspended, remembering to loosen the lugs before getting the rig into place to change each of the 3 tires I changed. One on each side lost a belt, and another was suddenly showing excessive inner edge wear, warranting a replacement. Lucky I had 6 spares, anticipating the inevitable with this recently purchased inexpensive trailer. It has I believe" 4inch drop axles so it sits very low, and I should have readjusted the height of my equalizer hitch downward. It was riding "almost" level but probably putting more stress on the rear axle

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)

In the past (13) years - I have spent a minimum of (4000) days on the road towing a car hauler trailer.

I don’t carry power tools to do repairs on my car hauler trailer or my tow vehicle.

I have changed by hand - in weather ranging from 5 to 120 degrees Farenheit:

Tires

Axles - Idler and Braker

Leaf Springs

Equalizers

Brake Backing Plates

Brake Drums

Wheel Bearings

Wheel Bearing Races

Jim

Regardless of what the weight ratings of truck, trailer and/or combination, triple axles is a mandatory Class A CDL in CA.

5 hours ago, mdsbob said:

Regardless of what the weight ratings of truck, trailer and/or combination, triple axles is a mandatory Class A CDL in CA.

mdsbob, can you please give us a CVC reference for this statement?  I've been going by the chart inside the front cover of CA's Commercial Driver Handbook, 2017-2018 edition, which does not address number of axles, only the GVW of the trailer.  A Class C licensee can tow up to 9,999 lb gross, according to this DMV publication. 

My older trailer, sold pending payment, has three 3500-lb axles and is rated at 9.990 lbs. gross.

Thanks!