WTB: 1957-58 Factory A/C Delco Fuel Filter Bowl Assembly

buick man

Yes, I am searching for a factory period correct A/C Delco Fuel Filter Assembly complete with glass bowl ready to attach to engine bracket as used on 57, 58, 59 & 60. These did not have the nut on top of the unit for attaching.  These years attach to the engine mounted bracket by the outlet which goes through this bracket.   Really nice would be a A/C Ceramic filter to go with it.  I took mine of and it is now M.I.A. .  I have another one but it has the bolt at the top to hang from the bracket but I believe it is from a straight eight job.  Anyone have an extra or even and NOS ...  let me know. 

5 hours ago, buick man said:

Yes, I am searching for a factory period correct A/C Delco Fuel Filter Assembly complete with glass bowl ready to attach to engine bracket as used on 57, 58, 59 & 60. These did not have the nut on top of the unit for attaching.  These years attach to the engine mounted bracket by the outlet which goes through this bracket.   Really nice would be a A/C Ceramic filter to go with it.  I took mine of and it is now M.I.A. .  I have another one but it has the bolt at the top to hang from the bracket but I believe it is from a straight eight job.  Anyone have an extra or even and NOS ...  let me know. 

You may not like this answer...but CARS INC sells them.  Coincidentally I just ordered a couple more, but they are on back order.  They should be in soon.  I have one on my blue 57 and it's very good.

Lance: Yes thanks I know of that source ... However guess I just have to feed my Fetish for All Original ! 😉 ... With that said just purchased an all original Carter unit to match my Carter 2507S but now most likely will have trouble getting a seal and filter for it ... ughh

4 hours ago, buick man said:

Lance: Yes thanks I know of that source ... However guess I just have to feed my Fetish for All Original ! 😉 ... With that said just purchased an all original Carter unit to match my Carter 2507S but now most likely will have trouble getting a seal and filter for it ... ughh

Originals can be found on Ebay...for about 2x price of repro...but they look and work the same except with some dirt and oxidation.  You can still find some of the original filter inserts, too.

I prefer original too, but when it comes to stuff like this that's where I draw the line, unless price is close.

Edited by lancemb (see edit history)

The 58's and 60's (at least the 4 barrel equipped models) had the ones with the bolt on top to mount to the bracket.  But I believe ALL 57's were the type you are looking for.  I don't have any experience with the 59 versions. 

Most of the originals I've come across are warped pretty bad, and it's a 50/50 shot on if I can get them to seal again.   I'll check to see if I have any originals in the stash.  I think I used my last one on a buddy's Roadmaster locally, though.

• Like 1

I wasn't even thinking used.  I have a correct one that came off black 57.  I put a new one on that car. 

I cut an access hole in box with the other 2 parts and slipped in this fuel bowl filter assembly to ride with them.  I will hopefully be shipping today.

It's complete but still needs the brass fitting to mount to bracket.  It held fuel and ran just last year, but I can't guarantee it won't leak once cleaned up, per Adam's note above.

Lance

Thanks brothers I appreciate your comments.  Actually, as you all probably know, the 1957 Buicks if you want to be spot on correct did not come with any engine mounted filter from the factory.  Buick tried a new all rubber line system from tank to fuel pump and someone in the bean counting department thought it would be a great idea to premount a filter fitted in the tank only and then just simply run a rubber line forward to the fuel pump.  Kinda like a quick and sassy version of using an electrical extension cord instead of hard wiring a dedicated circuit. This would save Buick assembly line time and money doing it this way. Another rubber line went from the fuel pump straight to the carb.  Quick and easy.   Well it didn't take long before the dealers started to complain and the customers as well, since one would have to drain the gas tank first in order to change the only filter which was in the tank.  So, at the dealers and backyards everywhere out came the tank filter, a new  fitting installed to replace the fitting provided by the tank filter and as well back again came the glass bulb fuel filter attached the engine bracket.  The bracket I have been told was first used as a connection point to connect the rubber hose from the fuel pump up to the bracket effectively splitting the factory jobs then another hose from the bracket up to the carb.  That way it could be split if need be or a glass bulb filter installed.  

6 hours ago, buick man said:

Thanks brothers I appreciate your comments.  Actually, as you all probably know, the 1957 Buicks if you want to be spot on correct did not come with any engine mounted filter from the factory.  Buick tried a new all rubber line system from tank to fuel pump and someone in the bean counting department thought it would be a great idea to premount a filter fitted in the tank only and then just simply run a rubber line forward to the fuel pump.  Kinda like a quick and sassy version of using an electrical extension cord instead of hard wiring a dedicated circuit. This would save Buick assembly line time and money doing it this way. Another rubber line went from the fuel pump straight to the carb.  Quick and easy.   Well it didn't take long before the dealers started to complain and the customers as well, since one would have to drain the gas tank first in order to change the only filter which was in the tank.  So, at the dealers and backyards everywhere out came the tank filter, a new  fitting installed to replace the fitting provided by the tank filter and as well back again came the glass bulb fuel filter attached the engine bracket.  The bracket I have been told was first used as a connection point to connect the rubber hose from the fuel pump up to the bracket effectively splitting the factory jobs then another hose from the bracket up to the carb.  That way it could be split if need be or a glass bulb filter installed.  

I know there was originally a little sock filter at the fitting on the tank for the fuel line, but I've never heard of that being intended to replace the filter up front.  Is there a service bulletin on this topic?

Well there are some antidotal original factory and era correct photos via articles and a service bulletin showing the tank filter unit and how to torque it properly.  The actual installment of the glass filters was accomplished on the ground in real time at the dealers and at service stations. This was a change that occurred without factory oversight nor I believe an actual corrective bulletin being being sent out by the factory.  There was no defective occurrences due to this setup.  It was just found in the field to be inconvenient and time consuming dealing with the tank as mentioned above.  Most cars as time went by changed over to the glass bowl setup as that is what was being used up till about 1964 or so until at least until metal inline filters started showing up as a factory equipped install. Below are some archival material I have on hand.  The last is a jpg from an article I had accumulated somewhere along the line and it shows a factory engine with diagram highlights.  Notice no glass bulb filter.  In the Buick advertising campaign for 57, they really touted the all rubber line as really a neat new idea instead of a metal line that could get damaged or rust out.   

126489362_DEALER57BuickServiceBulletin-4.thumb.jpg.b5d479441d66d749f165d593efb9e65a.jpg

373858872_New1957364CubicInchV8.thumb.jpg.97b45da506b75129e020afacbd5e9f18.jpg

879349327_ExhaustMufflerCutawayStats-1.thumb.jpg.7007b1850da1a2edd7fffa932767674a.jpg

1575254342_FactoryEngineBayTestDrive.thumb.jpg.155a99025ff8deb8b30bf2a16129c16d.jpg

Interesting...these early pics do indeed show no filter on the engine.  The drawings in literature I do not trust as they are usually rendered pre-production and differ from what was actually released.  The actual photo from a test car, however, is an interesting data point.