ericmac

1962 Lincoln Continental Convertible-off the market

Posted (edited)

For my next offering I have for sale a 1962 Lincoln Continental Convertible.  This is a car I found several years ago in really remarkable condition.  The car is 98% complete missing one trim moulding around the driver's front wheel opening and it is missing the spear on the driver's side of the Continental star on the rear grill. At the moment, known problems are, the window master switch needs to be replaced,  the radio only tunes static, the power antenna does not operate and there is a relay in the top that needs to be replaced so it wiill operate. There has been some damage (subsequently repaired) where some moron (me) hit the inside of a car trailer wheelwell while attempting to load it (at the time of the incident I had literally owned the car about 5 minutes...bad day). The intetior is original and is pretty dry. The top appears to be original and there is one heck of a crack in the rear window.  The paint is pretty shabby. At the moment it has no exhaust system on it at all as that has been back ordered. That's the extent of the bad.

So what is good about this car? Did I mention rust? No. No I did not. Because there isn't any.  None. I would invite you to run a magnet anywhere on this car you want,  the doglegs, the back portion of the trunk, underneath,  anywhere.  The car came out of Arizona then California and it shows. Aside form damage I did to the car myself,  nothing is amiss on the body anywhere.  

The dash is in perfect condition.  Options include the 6 way power seat,  power vent windows,  power antenna, automatic headlight dimmer,  woodgrain kit, and, yes, it has air conditioning.  As far as I can tell the only option the car doesn't have is speed control.  It has 5 9:50X 14  BF Goodrich narrow whitewall tires. There is a freshly rebuilt carburetor so the car starts and runs beautifully.  It is a great driver and has been shown at the prestigious Motor Muster at Greenfield Village in 2018 and was accepted for 2019 but did not make it because of the aforementioned exhaust problem. 

Obviously , the car needs a few things but it has a lot going for it.  You will need to paint it at some point and will need to do dome interior work. Conversely,  you can strip it and shoot it the color of your choice and not feel guilty about doing a color change if you like.

Currently the car is in my least favorite exterior color, white, with my favorite interior color, wine red. The body is so good you could easily get away withe black, which would go well with the wine interior. 

Lots of these cars are on Ebay and Auto Trader at around 45,000 for a sedan. Personally I think they are dreaming.  Instead I am reluctantly offering this car, a completely rust free western Convertible for $24,500 or a close reasonable offer. This is the second car I am offering for sale that I never imagined parting ways with. When you all see what I'm buying ir will make sense. Thanks for looking.20180805_111650.thumb.jpg.4b67f53f655e71feb814b18363a96372.jpg

20180814_073700.jpg

20180805_111707.jpg

20180422_181849.jpg

Edited by ericmac
No longer available (see edit history)
  • Like 2

This is the kind of car that does well on Bring a Trailer, if it had its exhaust system installed. I had one exactly like this, except with a new Haartz black roof. Magnificent drivers, these are, with plenty of power, delivered smoothly to the rear wheels. They have good road feel. I used mine for local weddings...those rear suicide doors were a hit with brides...so easy to enter in a wedding gown. I sold mine for considerably more than the asking price here, and the new owner was delighted. This is a very good buy, once the exhaust is installed.

On 8/12/2019 at 11:50 PM, ericmac said:

For my next offering I have for sale a 1962 Lincoln Continental Convertible.  This is a car I found several years ago in really remarkable condition.  The car is 98% complete missing one trim moulding around the driver's front wheel opening and it is missing the spear on the driver's side of the Continental star on the rear grill. At the moment, known problems are, the window master switch needs to be replaced,  the radio only tunes static, the power antenna does not operate and there is a relay in the top that needs to be replaced so it wiill operate. There has been some damage (subsequently repaired) where some moron (me) hit the inside of a car trailer wheelwell while attempting to load it (at the time of the incident I had literally owned the car about 5 minutes...bad day). The intetior is original and is pretty dry. The top appears to be original and there is one heck of a crack in the rear window.  The paint is pretty shabby. At the moment it has no exhaust system on it at all as that has been back ordered. That's the extent of the bad.

So what is good about this car? Did I mention rust? No. No I did not. Because there isn't any.  None. I would invite you to run a magnet anywhere on this car you want,  the doglegs, the back portion of the trunk, underneath,  anywhere.  The car came out of Arizona then California and it shows. Aside form damage I did to the car myself,  nothing is amiss on the body anywhere.  

The dash is in perfect condition.  Options include the 6 way power seat,  power vent windows,  power antenna, automatic headlight dimmer,  woodgrain kit, and, yes, it has air conditioning.  As far as I can tell the only option the car doesn't have is speed control.  It has 5 9:50X 14  BF Goodrich narrow whitewall tires. There is a freshly rebuilt carburetor so the car starts and runs beautifully.  It is a great driver and has been shown at the prestigious Motor Muster at Greenfield Village in 2018 and was accepted for 2019 but did not make it because of the aforementioned exhaust problem. 

Obviously , the car needs a few things but it has a lot going for it.  You will need to paint it at some point and will need to do dome interior work. Conversely,  you can strip it and shoot it the color of your choice and not feel guilty about doing a color change if you like.

Currently the car is in my least favorite exterior color, white, with my favorite interior color, wine red. The body is so good you could easily get away withe black, which would go well with the wine interior. 

Lots of these cars are on Ebay and Auto Trader at around 45,000 for a sedan. Personally I think they are dreaming.  Instead I am reluctantly offering this car, a completely rust free western Convertible for $24,500 or a close reasonable offer. This is the second car I am offering for sale that I never imagined parting ways with. When you all see what I'm buying ir will make sense. Thanks for lookin

I'm more than happy to listen to anyone who thinks my asking price is too aggressive.  I need to move on this one.

These are sought after but I agree, post on bring a trailer or eBay to find a lot more potential buyers!