3 hours ago, Brian_Heil said:

Recently purchased a 2500 GMC Suburban with a 454.  Now in the market for an enclosed trailer since I have retired. 

Brian,

Glad you now have a tow rig.  You can find good deals on new car trailers in Georgia, but eBay or Craigslist are also a good options.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Brian_Heil said:

I agree the front axle is reversed.  This would be terrible for caster.

After you fix that or at least have an alignment shop confirm it, why not a tow dolly?

I have a tow dolly and a pair of spare rear hubs

I'm using my car hauler trailer, getting new electric brakes in the mail soon, today I removed the hydraulic brakes and brake lines that go with the surge brake system, and removed the surge hitch and waiting in the mail for a new hitch without the surge. My trailer wheels have the brake flanges with the 4 bolt holes in a square pattern, so it will fit 10 inch brakes (the 12 inch brakes would have 5 bolt holes). It looks like it will be really easy to mount electric brakes on the 4 hole flanges, and they are cheap, so I'm doing all 4 wheels. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtzPmNNM34M

As for the axle, yeah it's reversed. I compared it to the parts car axle, the serial number stamp is supposed to be on the right side, mine is on the left. But I don't think it matters, I measured them the best I could to see if they are symmetrical, using every way I could think of, and it appears the fork of the axle is straight, which means it has no caster, and the axle is symmetrical. I think it was installed backwards at the factory, all the mud and horse poop is equal on all parts which shows it was never worked on, or if it was, it was driven many miles the way it is. Zero caster means I should get those wedges that Hugh and Don talked about.

• Like 1

An alignment shop measurement will tell you where your caster is and, if you need to revise it, what you need.  It may be as simple as flipping the axle which when installing wedges you are almost there any way.