Welsh plugs

Nev

Welcome to the AACA Discussion Forum. I would expect that just about any auto parts store should have brass or steel ones in stock. You just need to know the size needed since they will have no idea what fits your application. They may call them "freeze plugs" or "expansion plugs"

They are WELCH plugs not Welsh which is a country next to England in the United Kingdom. 

Your engine is commonly referred to as a "flat head", technically it is an "L head".  A whole group of Pontiac fans refer to 1926-1932 Pontiac engines as "Split head" engines because of their two three cylinder heads. 

A flat engine is often called a pancake engine as is used in Subaru and VW "Beetle" style vehicles.

"L" and "I" engines have been mounted  flat, on their sides for use in buses and other underfloor applications but they are still "flat head" or OHV.

Good luck with your Pontiac.  We would love to see pictures.  If you have half as much fun with your '27 as I have had with my '30 in the last 59 years you will have lots of fun.

engine type.jpg

pancake.jpg

1 hour ago, Tinindian said:

They are WELCH plugs not Welsh which is a country next to England in the United Kingdom. 

There are enough people asking how to fix the “breaks” on their cars that I wouldn’t worry too much if someone calls a welch/core/expansion/freeze plug a “welsh plug”. :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DonMicheletti said:

An opposed piston or flat engine is also called a "boxer"

Not trying to hi-jack this topic but, Don, a question for you.  An opposed piston engine is a "Boxer".  What would you call Commer's diesel engine.  I ask because I respect your opinions.

The Commer TS3[1] was a diesel engine fitted in Commer trucks built by the Rootes Group in the 1950s and 1960s. It was the first diesel engine used by the company.

commer-compression-cycle.png