Sign in to follow this  
JJ62

63 Riv dash pad and seat mounting

Hello all,

Trying to piece together my interior, got a couple questions. I need to know size and type of screw that holds the dash pad to the bracket. Does the screw just go up through the bracket and into the metal piece on the dash pad? Is the clip shown on the dash bracket supposed to be on the dash pad? Also wondering if there needs to be a spacer under the inside rear bucket seat bracket. The floors have been "repaired", and there's 1 1/2 inch gap between the mounting plate and the floor. Also wondering if there's anywhere to buy the front u-shaped brackets for the front seat that the mounts slide into. See attached pictures.

Thanks in advance,

Jim

63 dash bracket.jpg

63 dash hole.jpg

63 seat bracket.jpg

1 hour ago, JJ62 said:

Hello all,

Trying to piece together my interior, got a couple questions. I need to know size and type of screw that holds the dash pad to the bracket. Does the screw just go up through the bracket and into the metal piece on the dash pad? Is the clip shown on the dash bracket supposed to be on the dash pad? Also wondering if there needs to be a spacer under the inside rear bucket seat bracket. The floors have been "repaired", and there's 1 1/2 inch gap between the mounting plate and the floor. Also wondering if there's anywhere to buy the front u-shaped brackets for the front seat that the mounts slide into. See attached pictures.

Thanks in advance,

Jim

63 dash bracket.jpg

63 dash hole.jpg

63 seat bracket.jpg

The screw used for the dash pad is just the usual interior type screw that GM used on millions of cars. This one roughly 1" long. The screw goes through the edge of the dash pad into the bracket. There is no spacer used on the rear seat bracket. Join the Riviera Owner's Association. You will find help on all problems Riviera and many vendors that can get you the parts you need. 

Bill

IMG_5473.JPG

IMG_5474.JPG

Bill,

I am in the ROA already. I can screw the screw through the dash bracket. How does the dash pad capture the screw? The hole in the metal of the dash pad is much larger than the screw. Am I missing something on the dash pad?

Jim

dash pad screw.jpg

63 dash pad 2.jpg

29 minutes ago, JJ62 said:

Bill,

I am in the ROA already. I can screw the screw through the dash bracket. How does the dash pad capture the screw? The hole in the metal of the dash pad is much larger than the screw. Am I missing something on the dash pad?

Jim

dash pad screw.jpg

63 dash pad 2.jpg

Go to the back of the Riview. Lots of vendors back there selling Riviera parts. The screw goes through the vinyl and what ever padding is there, through the hole in the dash pad and screws into the bracket. Nothing more. The head of the screw is larger than the hole in the dash pad. You are not missing anything except, there should be vinyl covering that area of the dash pad that the screw goes through.

Bill

Bill

IMG_5475.JPG

Okay, now I get it. I didn't try fitting it up. The brackets on the dash goes through the u shaped part of the dash pad. Thanks for your help.

Take out the A Pilars if you are concerned about scuffing the side edges of the dashpad.

A  J clip fits in between the dash cover on the bottom lip metal on the dash pad frame. The J clip had threads in it. Bill showed a screw, probably a number 8. I think and I’m happy to be mistaken but the stock screw has a black rubber washer the fits neatly under the head of the screw. I’ve taken my dash pad out and recovered it and put it back.

Turbinator.

• Like 1

On 8/12/2019 at 12:36 AM, Turbinator said:

Take out the A Pilars if you are concerned about scuffing the side edges of the dashpad.

A  J clip fits in between the dash cover on the bottom lip metal on the dash pad frame. The J clip had threads in it. Bill showed a screw, probably a number 8. I think and I’m happy to be mistaken but the stock screw has a black rubber washer the fits neatly under the head of the screw. I’ve taken my dash pad out and recovered it and put it back.

Turbinator.

How do you attach the edges of the dash pad to the underside of the dash?

8 hours ago, JJ62 said:

How do you attach the edges of the dash pad to the underside of the dash?

Sir, if you want a good fit you can only have one cover thickness on the dash pad. Some have just put a cover over the existing cover and that makes the dash board to thick.

if you have just the single dash board the bottom/underside has 4 holes you #8 screws that reach in to a tab that has a j clip.

4 hours ago, Turbinator said:

Sir, if you want a good fit you can only have one cover thickness on the dash pad. Some have just put a cover over the existing cover and that makes the dash board to thick.

if you have just the single dash board the bottom/underside has 4 holes you #8 screws that reach in to a tab that has a j clip.

No, I'm asking about securing the actual cover to the underside of the metal dashboard. I will probably have an upholstery shop do it.

dash underside.jpg

dash underside 2.jpg

Well, I would clean the fabric and the dash pad metal where the dash cover will be attached. I would research adhesives for your application. General use spray glue is for household stuff.

I know of a 3M product first hand that was used to attach the wall lining inside a 4 seat airplane. I used the same 3m product on my trunk kit. Comes in a pint and quart can I think the 3 M name is “ 304”. Once you have it stretched the way you want apply the adhesive to both materials place 1x3 boards on top and bottom and clamp down in a secure fashion.

You can save some money this way.Good luck.

Turbinator

• Like 1

Use of a good 3M upholstery adhesive is about all you need.  I watched a couple of vinyl tops being installed by professionals where i used to work.   Basically the same thing as recovering a dash - vinyl on a nonporous surface.   The upholsterers would spray the top and lay the top in place.  While the adhesive was curing, there was time to lift and position the vinyl.  No need for clamps or anything else.  While tacky, the adhesive will hold anything in place.  Once cured, it's next to impossible to move the vinyl.  Mask off any place you don't want adhesive.  Pull the mask before you start.  Overlap with the vinyl then cut with a new razor blade along the area where you masked. Use an adhesive designed for vinyl and fabrics.  Other adhesives are "wet" and will bleed through the material. When you go to the upholstery shop supply house ask for expanded vinyl, it's easier to stretch around corners or compound  curves.  There are a number of DIY videos on YouTube you can watch too.

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)
  • Like 1

There are certainly different ways to do things. The best luck I’ve had 

with any adhesive is when the surfaces you want to glue are real clean. RivNut mentions bleed through and a valid point.

The 3M 1357 has been very good for me. ( I do not own stock in 3M)

Turbinator

• Like 1