'52 Pontiac won't shift

David J D Todd

Hello and help please.

I am in South Australia and need some advice. I have a 1952 Pontiac Chieftain coupe 4.4 litre straight 8 with the 4 speed dual ratio automatic transmission.

I have just finished a total off chassis restoration and have a problem with the transmission. I can drive the car up to 30 miles with it performing beautifully then all of a sudden I have no gears. It will not shift into any gear. I have checked the trans fluid level and that is okay. Is it possible that the torque converter could be causing the problem?

I just don't have any answers. This has happened twice and it is a real puzzle. Can anyone please be able to help me with this problem? 

Thanks,

David Todd 

When it quits giving drive, if you engage reverse does it lock up the transmission as if you had parked up with it switched off?

Is the oil level too high? When it's hot it may be getting caught up in the drums and getting whipped to a froth and your losing oil pressure as a result.. pull the dipstick when it stops and look too see if the oil is all bubbles.

Phil