Sign in to follow this  
mike6024

'28 Greyhound Bus, but what is the Make, etc

Actually photo was taken in 1928, So beyond that, the year and make of vehicle undetermined. Must be a 1928 or earlier something or other.

Greyhound Bus 1928.jpg

My only real “reference”, a book titled Over the Road printed back in the 1970s seems to indicate that by 1927/28 buses usually had a single door in front with a center isle. This looks to be older than that as it has doors for each seating position.

There were a number of regional bus manufacturers back then with models that differed more in front grill appearance than in the 3/4 view from the back. If the photo was clear enough to show the bus company (most were regional then too) then that might give a clue as it seemed the regional operating companies often purchased from the local region‘s manufacturer(s). For example Pacific Greyhound lines (formerly Pickwick) would likely have something locally custom made, built by California Body Building or maybe Faegol. That said, a couple of the bigger manufacturers were Faegol and Yellow.

Speech platform on the rear, an early campaign bus. Five doors on the right side. The same shield is on the bus and the building.

The background in that photo sure looks like California. And the bus is fairly low slung. I’m going to guess, and I emphasize guess, that it is a Faegol Safety Coach from the mid 1920s.

I restored a bus similar(bit shorter) to this one several years ago that was used by East Broad Top when they decided to start a bus line to compliment the rail system.

That rear fence was strictly decoration, behind it was an exit door but no platform.  The design was to simulate a Pullman Train Car, the bus we worked on was on a1929

GM Yellow Coach, we also did the one beside it ,that was on a Whit 53 chassis

white 53 to EBT 017 (Medium).jpg

white 53 to EBT 018 (Medium).jpg

Partial shield on the building, The matching shield looks to be on a stand on the ground behind the bus.

I keep trying to make it look like a dog but cant quite seem to make that happen. It keeps turning into a fish.

Posted (edited)

Many of the buses prior to 28' had the separate doors. Here's a couple of examples, one of a White bus on Old Motor website taken in late Nov 1925 and an earlier Studebaker approx. 1925 in the smaller photo below.

Bender is probably the maker as they produced most of the buses in the late 20s on special order for many of the "assembly" manufacturers. Several other bus builders such as Pay-Enter, Lang, Wayne Works etc... See coachbuilt for the many bus builders:

http://www.coachbuilt.com/bus/index.htm

Another clue when looking at the placement of the headlights in the original post you can see they are set lower and are painted black not chrome/nickel... 

If you're into buses I'd recommend a set of discs with 700 + issues of  Electric Railways Magazine. 

eBay item number:

OR

eBay item number:

Good luck in your search, that's a ton of homework you have ahead of you.....

1920s motor transit co. bus 1

See the source imageSee the source image1925-studebaker-bus.jpg

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)

Posted (edited)

It looks like a late teens/early 20s white to me, like they used at Yellowstone.

Edited by AHa (see edit history)

29 minutes ago, GregLaR said:

What are these items?

I think pneumatic spring dampers (i.e. shock absorbers).

• Like 1