WANT TO BUY - OIL RECTIFIER

tomwallace

I  just purchased a 1926 Packard Opera Coupe. It is in good condition and runs well. I am repairing the vacuum tank but it really just needs a bit of clean up.

One item that is missing is the oil rectifier. As I understand, the rectifier was included in early production but in later production it was deleted. The unit apparently did not really function well and was often taken off and discarded by the owner. Apparently they were also used on other manufacturer's cars.

The spot where the unit was placed looks "empty". I want to buy one and use it just as a "decorative' piece. I would not hook it up.

I understand they are rare as hen's teeth but I was wondering if someone may have a unit sitting on their shelf.

I found a good photo of the setup on the internet.

P.S. What would you use on the carburetor as an air cleaner?

Any leads appreciated.

Tom Wallace, Dayton, OH

1926 Packard.jpg

The oil rectifier was basically supposed to clean the oil while distilling off the gas, acids and water. Thus this would prolong oil life and one would not have to change oil so often.

I understand the unit really didn't work and were often removed by the owner. Later in the production year, the unit was not offered by Packard.

I just wanted to fill in the space but I wouldn't make it functional.

Any leads appreciated.

Tom Wallace, Dayton, OH

• 1 month later...

An oil rectifier actually works very well - its purpose is to scrub oil from exhaust and the more prevalent uses were on sleeve value engines such as a Willys Knight.  They tend to gum up though and ... - many people just did not understand them and/or know how to care for them. And, of course oil rectifiers became obsolete as the technology in piston rings became better. 

And, a Packard carb such as the one in the photo does not have an air cleaner or flame arrestor .

Sidneote: Further researching is in order and possibly eliminating the carburetor pre heat spark plug feature - gasoline today is much more combustible = a question for other ppackard owners who regularly tour with their cars. 

Packard offered an air cleaner for retro fitting to some of the models in 1928 see attached details.  I think finding one of those would be harder than finding an oil rectifier.  They were being reproduced here in Australia some years ago but the patterns have been lost.

The difficulty with the fitting of an air cleaner to the Fueliser carburetor is that the air enters in two places, the main inlet and through the secondary air valve.

img-190921101427-001.jpg