running boards

mickla

Basically there are two Canadian companies that do restorations of running boards. There was a "go to guy" in the USA who was in Georgia I believe but he has retired. The other option is to buy the reproduction rubber and glue it on running boards you have restored for rust and dents. Bob's Automobilia has them and some vendors on eBay but I it's all the Steele product. The original boards were "vulcanized" and the rubber bonded to the running board which is why it's so hard to get off. The Steele pieces for my '37 are in two pieces and you will have a seam. Glue of any sort is not as good as bonding. 

• Like 1

Mickla,

I have not had any direct experience with this company but the detailed  pictures of the 1936 Buick runningboard replacement look very good.  Like other have said the original ones were vulcanized to the runningbourd and the one person that I know of that did the authentic repair replacement by vulcanizing has apparently retired.  He was Huntley Acuff of Roseville Georga.  His web address www.huntleyacuffrunningboards,com is shut down, but maybe you can still get him on the phone at 706 866 4875.   I have (2) 1936 Buicks and a 1937 and 1938 and know these cars very well.  The pictures of their replacement mats look very good but again  I don't have any direct experience with them..

Good luck,

On ‎8‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 8:25 PM, GaryH said:

GaryH, I have two other 38s. 90 series that Acuff did some years ago and they are outstanding. I called him and he said he retired. I ask about the molds he still had them. I also asked if anyone had tried to purchase them?  He said someone inquired, but never followed up. I guess I will give this guy shoot. Vintagerunnungboardrubbermats.com