ABS Brake System-96 Suburban

I just recently purchased a 96 Suburban  K1500 4x4. It's loaded with all the 'bells and whistles' including the ABS system. Having never driven a vehicle with this system, I am  having quite a time adjusting to this braking system.

I will be using this van for towing. The brakes are presently very soft. This after replacing the front calipers, pads and rear brake shoes and bleeding the entire brake system. I have not started towing yet, but the low 'soft' pedal has me really worried. Previously, I had an 89 4x4 that would stop on a dime No ABS.

I understand there were problems with this system. some people simply remove it; other replace the module.

I'd like to hear from users in this group on the best advice on what to do to achieve a firm pedal.

Thanks to ALL for your help!!

Edited by Misterbuickguy
misspelled words (see edit history)

Although not directly applicable i can tell you that all the smaller hydraulic Chevy and GMC School buses I have driven have had a low mushy pedal.  From years 2000 to about 2009.They are based on 3/4 and maybe larger chassis and I have been told by the mechanics that that s how they are.  I personally have had a few bigger Chevys and not experienced that issue though. 

Can't I get more help on this topic??  Really need to resolve the issue with these soft, spongy brakes. I plan to tow in the next several weeks and I'm wondering if this ABS system is a help or hindrance???? All help-thoughts-suggestions, experience with this brake system is appreciated.

• 3 months later...

This is a common problem with these abs systems.  Find a competent shop with a scan tool that can sequence (exercise) the abs system. This is necessary to eleminate all the air. I bought a suburban, well maintained and cared for, the neighbor I got it from said it has always had a low pedal. They tell me thats normal on these trucks.  After getting the system bled with a scanner it was better- not as soft but still kinda low pedal. Harking back to oldentimes I put a good tight shoe adjustment on the rear drums and that improved the pedal height a bunch.  It wasnt a high firm pedal but it was a pretty  high firm pedal. Something I could live with, so to speak.