FS. 1934 Buick 56C - convertible coupe

Hi Everyone

Let me start by saying... I own an UNRESTORED1934 Buick 56C. Buick's 50 series 2 door convertible for 1934. Due to a computer malfunction I no longer have any photographs of the car, and I currently live in Northern California. The Buick is in storage in Pomona, California, in a container, and has been there for 18 years. I bought the car 20 years ago from a seller on the east coast, and had it shipped across the country. Not really sure why I bought it, it just had this crazy amazing look to it, and I have a thing for depression era cars. The Buick was found in a field, and used to sit under a wooden structure. At some point the structure was removed leaving the car open to the elements. That is pretty rough life on a car with a wood body frame! But she is mostly all there and still is a stunner, (in an incredibly artistic way, lets call it fabulous patina!) even though time and the elements have taken their toll. With a total production of around 589, there are not to many left around. Here is a link to production information for the 56C in1934... http://www.classiccardatabase.com/specs.php?series=14&year=1934&model=2449

We are currently in the process of moving to Europe, to take on a large home restoration, with the goal of becoming Inn-Keepers, a whole story in itself! I do not want to take the Buick with me. The car needs a new home. 

My problem with parting with it is that I am exceedingly worried it will be turned into a hotrod! I don't think this car deserves that. I know exactly how much a proper restoration would cost, and it is daunting. 

I am open to any offers, and I will go as far to say that I will consider giving the Buick, free of charge, to a truly interested party who can promise a bright future for it.

If you are interested please drop me an email and lets talk.

My best to you all!

Mark

mark@goffengel.com

• Like 1

1 hour ago, markgoffengel said:

....with the goal of becoming Inn-Keepers, 

You wouldn't happen to be relocating to Torquay by any chance? 😂

Hi Greg

No, we are moving to the south west of France, the properties available are incredible!

As much as I adore England, always have to think about weather, and the length of the "season". Although, with the way our climate is changing, perhaps England will be the new  European wine country very soon, so maybe we should reconsider!  :)

Mark,

I'm only an hour away from Pomona and I'm heading over there Monday. Is the car at all accessible without you having to make a trip down here? If so, I'd be happy to take a few pictures to share.

Greg 

3 hours ago, 1939_Buick said:

Going to be hard to sell without photos. Unless you accept a very low offer

1939_Buick

Alas I know... No photos available at this time. But as I said in my original posting... I am willing to give the car away I just don't want to it rodded!

2 hours ago, GregLaR said:

Mark,

I'm only an hour away from Pomona and I'm heading over there Monday. Is the car at all accessible without you having to make a trip down here? If so, I'd be happy to take a few pictures to share.

Greg 

Hi Greg

You are very kind! But I could not ask that of you without paying for your time and effort! With that said, if you are game???  I will need first to locate the key to the lock on the container, its been a few years! I could send you the key... I could arrange with mobile mini to bring the container out of longterm storage... bigger issue... tires! I am sure they are all super flat!!! I would hope they would hold air long enough to roll her out for pictures, and back in again. Think on this, and give me an amount that would be fair to you in payment. 

I sincerely thank you!

Mark

PS... mark@goffengel.com

PPS...the car does have a name... given to it by my ex... RHOS (AKA, Rusting Hunk OF Shit).   :)

7 hours ago, roysboystoys said:

Mark , you are going to be busy answering emails ! Thanks for posting it here , there are a lot of Buick guys here.

I'm past the age of doing a complete restoration , but you are sure to find someone who feels like you do about the car.

Good luck on your new venture.

Roysboystoys

You are a gentleman and I think you for your encouragement! 

Mark

9 hours ago, 1939_Buick said:

Going to be hard to sell without photos. Unless you accept a very low offer

Well, if I'm reading this correctly, he's willing to take the lowest offer I can imagine, he's mentioned giving it FREE to a good home.

I can't believe someone in the area wouldn't jump all over that.  It would finally answer the question "Gee, if they gave the car to you free, could you restore it and come out even or ahead".

The answer is probably not, but that's not what this hobby is about.  To bring this one back to life would be a rewarding challenge.  I'm sure it's as rough as a cob, but it's FREE!!

I think this is the first pre-war open car I've ever seen on this forum associated with the word FREE.

• Like 1

Mark,

Thank you for the offer but I certainly would not accept or expect payment just for helping a fellow enthusiast out in a situation like this. I go over to Pomona regularly so that's not a problem at all. Unless the car is in a very tight container, I would attempt to just take the pictures in place, rather than worry about airing up old rotted tires and rolling the car out and back in. I'm pretty sure we can find an easy way to make this happen. I will PM you my contact info and see if we can help you find the right home for this diamond in the rough.

Best, Greg

• 1 year later...

I, too, have a 1934 Buick 56c convertible coupe.  It's hard to put a value on it because, indeed, there are not many around.  The car belonged to my father.  He drove it for many years back in the 60s.  Then it ended up in our garage, waiting to be restored.  Unfortunately, my dad never found the time and he passed away last year.  There are a couple great stories I could tell you about how my dad acquired it, the promise he made to the man he got it from, which promise he kept until his dying day, and the story about my dad and mom driving it on their honeymoon and stopping to help a couple in a brand new Cadillac on the side of the road.  As my mom would say, she's in good shape for the shape she's in.  I think the only part missing is the hood ornament.  And then there's also damage to the convertible top caused by a cat.  Actually it was my childhood German Shepherd that chased the cat and fell through the top, but I still blame it on that dang cat! LOL  The car has been kept inside, in the garage of my childhood home since we moved here in the early 70s, so it has been out of the elements.  And my dad did whatever it is one does in order to keep the engine from seizing up.  Any advice as to what I should do with the car would be greatly appreciated.  The one thing my dad did not want was for anyone to make it into a hotrod.  Other than that, I would love to find a buyer who would cherish it as much as my family has.

Edited by sbergharris (see edit history)
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, sbergharris said:

I, too, have a 1934 Buick 56c convertible coupe.  It's hard to put a value on it because, indeed, there are not many around.  The car belonged to my father.  He drove it for many years back in the 60s.  Then it ended up in our garage, waiting to be restored.  Unfortunately, my dad never found the time and he passed away last year.  There are a couple great stories I could tell you about how my dad acquired it, the promise he made to the man he got it from, which promise he kept until his dying day, and the story about my dad and mom driving it on their honeymoon and stopping to help a couple in a brand new Cadillac on the side of the road.  As my mom would say, she's in good shape for the shape she's in.  I think the only part missing is the hood ornament.  And then there's also damage to the convertible top caused by a cat.  Actually it was my childhood German Shepherd that chased the cat and fell through the top, but I still blame it on that dang cat! LOL  The car has been kept inside, in the garage of my childhood home since we moved here in the early 70s, so it has been out of the elements.  And my dad did whatever it is one does in order to keep the engine from seizing up.  Any advice as to what I should do with the car would be greatly appreciated.  The one thing my dad did not want was for anyone to make it into a hotrod.  Other than that, I would love to find a buyer who would cherish it as much as my family has.

First,  do not touch anything.   Do not try to start it or turn it over.

Projects in general are very hard to sell.   However,  your dad's car has a number of things going for it that make it desirable to idiots like us.

1.   Honest original and complete condition.

2.  Dry storage for many years.

3.  One owner for 50 or more years

4.  A desirable body style.

The Buick guys are active and there is definitely someone who will cherish this car.   My advice is to put together some decent pictures,  if you can get it out of the garage try to do so.  Put wheel rollers under if necessary.  Lots and lots of pictures.  You will need to get  clear title if you don't have one as the market goes to zero without.

Thank you!  I will work on getting better pictures -- with the assistance of someone who knows what he's doing.  I have a cousin who's an all-around "car guy".  The title isn't a problem.  I haven't located the original yet, but I do have a good copy of it and the administrator of my dad's estate will be able to sign any necessary documents.  I think I even one of my dad's old vehicle registrations for it.

I really appreciate your help.  I'll get to work on that pronto.  Thanks again!

Sandy

24 minutes ago, alsancle said:

First,  do not touch anything.   Do not try to start it or turn it over.

Projects in general are very hard to sell.   However,  your dad's car has a number of things going for it that make it desirable to idiots like us.

1.   Honest original and complete condition.

2.  Dry storage for many years.

3.  One owner for 50 or more years

4.  A desirable body style.

The Buick guys are active and there is definitely someone who will cherish this car.   My advice is to put together some decent pictures,  if you can get it out of the garage try to do so.  Put wheel rollers under if necessary.  Lots and lots of pictures.  You will need to get  clear title if you don't have one as the market goes to zero without.

Thank you!  I will work on getting better pictures -- with the assistance of someone who knows what he's doing.  I have a cousin who's an all-around "car guy".  The title isn't a problem.  I haven't located the original yet, but I do have a good copy of it and the administrator of my dad's estate will be able to sign any necessary documents.  I think I even one of my dad's old vehicle registrations for it.

Sandy

23 minutes ago, sbergharris said:

Sandy

Collect and scan all paperwork and old pictures.  Period photos and documents are gold to many collectors .

• Like 1

Hi Sandy, PM- private message sent. I'm about five miles from you..........happy to help out. 

• Like 2

On 8/9/2019 at 6:03 AM, trimacar said:

Well, if I'm reading this correctly, he's willing to take the lowest offer I can imagine, he's mentioned giving it FREE to a good home.

I can't believe someone in the area wouldn't jump all over that.  It would finally answer the question "Gee, if they gave the car to you free, could you restore it and come out even or ahead".

The answer is probably not, but that's not what this hobby is about.  To bring this one back to life would be a rewarding challenge.  I'm sure it's as rough as a cob, but it's FREE!!

I think this is the first pre-war open car I've ever seen on this forum associated with the word FREE.

David, 

Correct - this will answer the question "would you take it if it were free".   It will be all about the restoration cost, which should be north of $100,000. 

I think it would be fun to own BOTH and restore them together but that is unlikely.  At least having the photos from Sandy helps to formulate what the other west coast car looks like.  

Even though frustrating, these cars would be fun to restore (if you are into that) and in the end you would have a pre war open car.  

Sandy lives very close to me........I drive through her town every day. She is busy for a few days, and I am off to Amelia on Tuesday. I'm hoping to stop by and see the car quickly, and I can assist her over the phone for the rest of the help she needs. If she decides to sell it, I would be happy to assist with AACA members on inspection and condition. But first, let's not get ahead of ourselves. Let her grasp the car, its condition, and it's value. It has been sitting 50 years.......a few weeks or months won't kill anyone. Ed

• Like 4

Did you read the post directly above yours? 

Sandy lives very close to me........I drive through her town every day. She is busy for a few days, and I am off to Amelia on Tuesday. I'm hoping to stop by and see the car quickly, and I can assist her over the phone for the rest of the help she needs. If she decides to sell it, I would be happy to assist with AACA members on inspection and condition. But first, let's not get ahead of ourselves. Let her grasp the car, its condition, and it's value. It has been sitting 50 years.......a few weeks or months won't kill anyone. Ed

Give her a break. I posted above she is busy. She asked for help here, and I intend to help he to the best of my ability. We are in contact, and she has your info now. She isn't in any hurry from what was communicated to me. I was planning on getting her to pull it outside, and post 20-30 photos. Figure out if the motor turns, and see if the missing parts are in the garage. I'm not a broker, not working on any commission or renumeration. Just trying to help out someone who has an early car, and need some advice to sell it properly. 

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 2

This would be a labor of love. Restoration costs are certain to exceed ultimate value.

On the bright side, we kept and drove our 1934 Buick Model 58 for a dozen fantastic years prior to restoration, after which it was judged to AACA Grand National Senior. 

The '34 Buick is an amazing car to drive, being Buick's first year for independent fdront suspension. It steered as easily as if it had power steering with just a single finger, and rode magnificently - an absolute joy. We have passed ours on to another club member, but have exceptional memories.

19 hours ago, Marty Roth said:

This would be a labor of love. Restoration costs are certain to exceed ultimate value.

On the bright side, we kept and drove our 1934 Buick Model 58 for a dozen fantastic years prior to restoration, after which it was judged to AACA Grand National Senior. 

The '34 Buick is an amazing car to drive, being Buick's first year for independent fdront suspension. It steered as easily as if it had power steering with just a single finger, and rode magnificently - an absolute joy. We have passed ours on to another club member, but have exceptional memories.

Wish that is how it works all the time Marty.  Meaning enjoy the car(s) then pass them on and enjoy something else. 

• Thanks 1

I will be looking at it in person tomorrow morning, driving the 1917 White over to see it after breakfast. I’m sure Sandy will chime in afterwards. I’ll post my impressions if she allows it. Ed

1 hour ago, edinmass said:

I will be looking at it in person tomorrow morning, driving the 1917 White over to see it after breakfast. I’m sure Sandy will chime in afterwards. I’ll post my impressions if she allows it. Ed

Looking forward to your review-

Love the art deco styling of the '34/'35 Buick,

and kind-of wish a prior seller had kept his word when I agreed over the phone, many years back, to buy a 90 Series - even though our 50 Series was actually a better car.

8 hours ago, Marty Roth said:

Looking forward to your review-

Love the art deco styling of the '34/'35 Buick,

and kind-of wish a prior seller had kept his word when I agreed over the phone, many years back, to buy a 90 Series - even though our 50 Series was actually a better car.

I'll take some of the responsibility for this but we should have broken this thread off as soon as Sandy posted.  

However,  in the interests of further confusing things,  why is a 50 better than a 90?

Please read clearly: People, stop sending Sandy messages for offers that are ridiculous. The car is off the market till mid June. At that time, a clear modern title with no liens will be available. I will assist Sandy & Mike with the sale of the car. I am doing so pro bono. They live six miles away. I will later today post a fair and accurate description of the car. It’s important to the family the car goes to the right home, and per her fathers wish it not be hot rodded. 

Anyone who contacts here through PM’s will NOT be considered as a buyer......let me be clear, leave Sandy and Mike in peace until all the ducks are in a row, and the car can be transferred. It is still NOT determined how, when, where, and under what circumstances the car will be offered. When it is, there will be an announcement. My best to all........Ed.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 4

Since AJ made first contact with Sandy, and he introduced me to her, I gave him a report on the car. His  assessment is correct, it’s a very nice automobile.

Ok, this is NOT an invitation to bother Sandy about the car. I spent fifteen minutes taking a quick look at the car. I look at countless cars every year. 99 percent of the cars are a mess......or worse. That’s not the case here. With the exception of the gas tank, which is missing, and probably left at a shop somewhere and not recovered, the car appears to be 99.5 percent complete. The key is in the ignition. It has 60k on the clock. Under hood it’s never been touched in 75 years. Every nut, bolt, and part appears to be exactly where it should. The manifolds are crack free, the carb and air filter are correct and look great. All the usual stuff that is missing or scattered to the wind is in place. Fuel pump looks like it’s the original, as well as the regulator, control cables, ect. It was last driven when I was in diapers............Huggies......not Depends. That makes it last running in the 1960’s. Six wire wheels, side mount covers, trunk rack, everything on the exterior except the mascot is in place. The egg crate grill is perfect. Left rear tail light has the typical plate bracket fracture. All lenses and lights seem in excellent condition. All the glass in the car except the rear window is useable in preservation class. Overall paint looks very nice but thin in spots with a few scratches down to primer. One small ding in one fender lip that will come out easily. The car is extremely presentable for HPOV. Seat covers are rather shot, as is the top. If mine, I would just leave the top down and forget about it. Seat covers will need to be made/delt with depending on what one likes. Dash is in very nice shape and is consistent with an unmolested driver. There is no rust on the car from a quick eyeball. I didn’t slide under it......it’s been in the same spot since I was in third grade and I didn’t want to get dirty on a Sunday morning. Under hood is typical 1940’s oil/dust/grease coverage........which seems to have protected everything exceptionally well. Overall a absolute gem in the rough. It’s going to need time more than money to get back on the road. Tires and tubes, exhaust, and a few odds and ends. Every system will have to come apart and be serviced. The entire car will require a complete going over. I’m guessing 300-400 hours will take car of all of it if your highly skilled. Figure 600 hours if your a shady tree mechanic. The car will clean up to something that any preservation enthusiast would be proud to call your own. Honestly, if I didn’t have my recent White purchase as well as my other 1932 waiting on Long Island to come down and get sorted I would have bought the Buick on the spot. It was kind of hard for me to walk away from such a great early car with so much potential, but one can’t have everything in life. I purposely did not take a single photo. There was no need. You couldn’t find a better car anywhere sleeping for fifty years. I had an extensive conversation with Sandy and Mike. They are great people. I explained to them the entire situation, market, condition, ect, ect, ect. I was straight forward with them, and gave an opinion of value, market analysis, ect. Frankly the car is one of the best prospects I have seen in in 20 years for a clean up and drive candidate. Anyone who is a Buick fan would sell his eldest child for the car. It’s a rare case of it being much better than I expected when I walked into the garage door. I’m off to Amelia and a visit with my 95 year old mother for two and a half weeks. I’ll be back down in mid June and by then they will have a clear modern title in hand. They have the 1962 title in hand which I recommend they hold on to and apply for a duplicate. We should always try and preserve a cars history.......... 

Sandy has seen this car her entire life, and has never had a ride in it. It’s important to her to have a chance for a ride someday when it’s on the road.........so that will be a condition of the sale. I’m certain a gentleman’s agreement on the ride will suffice. So PLEASE leave her alone until she is ready to sell it. It will be sooner than later. The car is up on blocks with tires off. Mike is going to put the wheels on it, and see if they will hold 25 pounds air pressure.........I don’t want to chance filling them up all the way. The hubs are free and the car will roll easily. Car will not be released until verifiable funds are transferred. No will you take’s, no trades, no I have to ask my wife for permission..........they are looking for a simple straight forward sale. Sandy & Mike will make the decisions, I’ll be in the background making sure no slight of hand scammer or bum comes along. Sad today but the low ball offers just go to show you the way the world is. Best wishes to Sandy and Mike, and to the new owner when the time comes. Whoever ends up with the car will be thrilled. Per my advice, they took the photos down.........and they won’t send any out until the car is offered for sale. Figuring the new owner will want privacy..........best to all. Ed.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Grimy said:

I'm pretty sure Eleanor's car was a 60 series at 128 wb vs. 50 series at 119.  I owned a 1934 56S coupe for 47 years.

Body tub the same size? Was it just a larger engine?

Sounds like a great car, a few years back I’d be interested, but too many projects now!

I believe carrying a pistol in the glovebox was a fairly common thing back in the day.  My father did a lot of traveling for the company he worked for, and Louisiana has a lot of dark and lonely roads.   Even some of the waterways are lonely, such as Bayou Selfe.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, edinmass said:

Body tub the same size? Was it just a larger engine?

Larger engine, yes, 278 cid (60) vs 239 (50). 60 & 90 had a larger transmission; the 40 & 50 shared the smaller tranny which was used thru 1936 on the 40, and (I think) on Olds.  EVERYTHING other than bumpers and headlights and instrument panels was different on the three "senior" series 50/60/90.  The cowls were the same, at least on closed cars, however:  About 1975 I parted out a 1935 57 sedan and the late Jerry Washburn and I hacksawed off the cowl to replace that on one of his 98 victoria coupes that had wiring fire that damaged the wood.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I of course was among those interested in the car, but I truly admire edinmass and enjoy reading his content and contributions.  

I can see this car selling for $10,000 +, maybe $15,000 plus so that takes me out of the running.  I reside in Iowa, and the transport cost would approach $2500.  For some, I suspect like Ed, they operate in an old car universe that measures value in 6 figures when I have never personally owned a 5 figure collector car, but still enjoyed the hobby for sure.  

This post did serve a purpose.  Mr. Earl (Lamar) resurrected an old 1934 Buick convertible for sale post and I have been in contact with that California seller.  He still has his, a former field car in much worse condition.   But perhaps more affordable as a start to someone.  

• Like 1