Buffalo no. 4 wire wheels, and/or hubs and/or caps

ak

John,

You need to be more specific as to what type of vehicle the wheels are for.

Model T ford used buffalo type 4 wheels but so did other cars.

I'm looking for type 4 dental drive wheels for my 1926 Chrysler G70, they are 20 inch with 64 spokes. Been looking for over 10 years, seen a few posts for type 4 stuff on ebay and various sites over the years but none that match mine.

Good luck in your search

Viv

9 hours ago, viv w said:

John,

I'm looking for type 4 dental drive wheels for my 1926 Chrysler G70, they are 20 inch with 64 spokes. Been looking for over 10 years, seen a few posts for type 4 stuff on ebay and various sites over the years but none that match mine.

Good luck in your search

Viv

Viv,

I may have one.   Drop me a line.   noeldpe@gmail.com   .     

Noel

On 8/9/2019 at 1:25 AM, viv w said:

John,

Good luck in your search

Viv

Thanks.  

John,

Good luck in your search

Viv

Ford T used No. 2 Buffalo. 

From my experience, the exposed pie crust drive No. 4's were 66 or 72 spoke. 

John

The factory called the drive design that is in most Buffalo wire wheels, corrugated. Think of the cross-section of the wall of a corrugated paper box.

The Wire Wheel Corp of America Buffalo New York owned a subsidiary company Dayton Wire Wheel. Dayton made pin drive and dental drive wire wheels. Dental drive are gear teeth in shape.

Wire Wheel Corp offered for Model T Fords 2 lines of wire wheels, Dayton pin drives made in Dayton Ohio by their subsidiary and the House ( brand name) wire wheels made in Buffalo New York. The House wire wheel name was a carryover from the predecessor company founded about 1915 and absorbed into The Wire Wheel Corp with its incorporation in 1918. House was an important part of the Wire Wheel Corp as it brought with it the patents on the corrugated drive.

Wire Wheel Corp catalogs of Buffalo Wire Wheels show the Model T Ford offering to be No.3 size and called House design. Today we call these Buffalo because: 1. they were made by the Wire Wheel Corp in Buffalo NY,  2. they are in the catalog under Buffalo Wire Wheels, and 3. some have a Buffalo ( the animal) outline on the face of the hubcap. Actually they should still be called House because: the Houk wire wheels made by Wire Wheel Corp are a carry over from the Houk Manufacuring Co. and we call them Houk, 2. Rudge-Whitworth made under license are called Rudge.

VERY complicated subject! Viv is right that we need to be specific as to what we are speaking of. Pictures are most helpful.

Well that was an excellent explanation.  Especially the use of the word   "corrugated".  Never heard that before.  Have you any literature you could share concerning the No. 4 corrugated?  That was a real revelation. Much appreciated. 

Edited by ak
more info (see edit history)

John,

Good luck in your search

Viv

From the photographs of 1926 Chryslers on the internet, the only ones I saw were No. 5 Buffalo.  I was just approached by a fellow with a set of them. 

Hi Guys,

Layden B you are correct, my wheels are corrugated not dental drive.

These are some pictures of my wheels, my centre lock nuts look identical to this Franklin one, they are marked on the side with F4L and F4R for left and right hand, and  "wire wheel corp of buffalo NY".

The Chrysler model G70 came standard with wood wheels but these type 4 buffalo wire wheels were offered as an option, it would appear very few cars came with these wheels, and the only picture I have seen of a model 70 with buffalo wheels appeared in a Chrysler restorers club of south australia magazine, showing a picture of a car in some expedition in the late 20's.

. The model E80 imperial came with type 5 wheels and appear to be more common.

Regards Viv.

IMG_1288.JPG

IMG_1289.JPG

IMG_1290.JPG

IMG_1291.JPG

IMG_1292.JPG

Buffalo type 4 centre lock nut 1.JPG

Viv,

This is a scan of a copy so rather poor quality but it does show the different types of wheel centers that Buffalo was offering in 1927. Your wheels are type HC and they were only made in a size 4.  

Yes the Imperial used type B size 5.

The hubcaps pictured are F4 and they fit size 4, Houk and HC types. I have a very few NOS New Old Stock that were apparently Stutz factory stock and have never been on a hub. Available but not cheap. Perhaps the only chance in your lifetime to purchase NOS hubcaps!

buffalo types.jpg

stutz hubcaps 690-694 HC4 nos pair a.jpg

stutz hubcaps 690-694 HC4 nos pair b.jpg

stutz hubcaps 690-694 HC4 nos pair c.jpg

stutz hubcaps 690-694 HC4 nos pair f.jpg

viv, how many spokes in each wheel? 

JR

Hi John,

There are 64 spokes total, 16 go to the front of the hub and 48 to the rear.

I have 4 wheels (2 rims are rusted out), I have 4 drive hubs with 4 screw on caps identical to the ones Layden B shows above, only one cap has the original Buffalo wire wheel of america centre medallion, the other 3 medallions are missing.

I have 2 arms/rods attached to the rear of my chassis frame, these arms/rods are identical to the ones for a rear mounted wooden wheel carrier, but the actual spare wheel carrier that attaches to these arms is missing, so I need that too, but have no idea what it even looks like.

Guys thanks for all your inputs, but I seem to have unintentionally hijacked John's original post.

John, you were looking for type 4 wheels, but as I originally asked, there are lots of variations, so we need to know what car you have that needs these wheels? If possible the wheel diameter or tire size needed and spoke configuration.  It may help us to find what you are looking for.

Regards

Viv.