(2) Wood T-Type Riviera Steering Wheels on ebay

'91 Polo Green

Dave, did you dye the leather to match the interior?  I can't see how these wheels would fit/match the interior style of the Reatta since it totally is devoid of any wood unless the woodgrain trim from a Riv was changed out into a Reatta which in my opinion looks hideous and out of place.

I had one T style wheel redone at a shop and one I bought off ebay as was posted. With the Riviera wood grain trim panels it looks great. I was actually more concerned with the redone wheel being too red but it faded after a short btime and looks great.

Maybe Ronnie can post them again for you to see.

They kind of go against the "grain" of what a Reatta was, it was to be a bit of a departure from the fake wood clad old person Buick and a nod to a more modern edgy interior, thankfully they didn't go as edgy as Allante interior.  I figure if people wanted the same interior with wood draped all over they bought the Riviera.  I liked the original Reatta steering wheels but they would have been better with the spokes done in a brushed black to match the black accents throughout the interior.  The wood being transferred over from Rivs into the Reatta give it the gaudy look of the Reatta's competitor the Chrysler TC 

I am curious to know what your opinion is of the Buick LeSabre wheels and Alero spoiler I put on? 

The dash trim panels, wheels, spoiler, steering wheel can all be easily removed to restore the car to it's full value. [BTW what is a 1989 Red/Tan Reatta with 293,000 miles worth nowadays?]

Who wants a 1990/91 steering wheel on their cars? Those and and the stock Reatta wheels are pretty ugly in my opinion and should be replaced.

Many of today's cars have wood steering wheels, chrome wheels, and touch screens, all of which are on my 1989.

1 hour ago, DAVES89 said:

I am curious to know what your opinion is of the Buick LeSabre wheels and Alero spoiler I put on? 

The dash trim panels, wheels, spoiler, steering wheel can all be easily removed to restore the car to it's full value. [BTW what is a 1989 Red/Tan Reatta with 293,000 miles worth nowadays?]

Who wants a 1990/91 steering wheel on their cars? Those and and the stock Reatta wheels are pretty ugly in my opinion and should be replaced.

Many of today's cars have wood steering wheels, chrome wheels, and touch screens, all of which are on my 1989.

A couple of more observations, now that I am looking closer. 

I never knew they made that wood surround for 88-89's as seen in Ronnie's posted photo. 

I am all for customization of Reattas, so I am not sure you are referring to me.  I think the original and one year Reatta wheels are fine, I am going to stay stock, but I think we as a Reatta community have seen them so much - kind of like the colors Bright Red (again no offense, I own a Bright Red Reatta too) and White being so common that some of us gravitate toward other wheels and colors.  

I know we can do whatever we want to our Reattas because they are not collectible in a monetary sense, but I don't want to mess with a very early car or a 1 of 1 car.  If I had space I would love a Claret and Tan 1990 and swap out the wheels for others of my choice AND now one of these cool steering wheels and Riviera faux interior wood trim. Oh that sounds nice.  Or ditto with Black and Tan.  

Edited by B Jake Moran (see edit history)

17 hours ago, Y-JobFan said:

The wood being transferred over from Rivs into the Reatta give it the gaudy look of the Reatta's competitor the Chrysler TC 

We all have our personal preferences about what we think looks good. Some people like their Reattas perfectly stock, and that's fine, while others like a few modifications.  Wood-grain interior parts, chrome wheels and spoilers are common on Reattas. Another way of putting it is - Different strokes for different folks.  The wood-grain dash must be popular with some people. I don't see any Riviera or TC owners painting their wood-grain interior parts black.

I think we all should try to point out the things we like about other Reatta owners cars and turn our heads the other way when we see something we don't like.  People may not remember the words we say to them for very long but they will remember forever how we made them feel when we said it. 

I wish we could all try to bring a smile to our fellow Reatta owner's face each day instead of them leaving the forum with their feelings hurt.

Edited by Ronnie (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I have seen some spoilers on Reatta's that work very well and of course lots that didn't usually ones that were to big and didn't look like it may have come from the factory.  There are a few Buick chrome wheels I like on the Reatta's the chrome Riviera/Park Avenue ones that look very much like the 91 wheel being my favorite, aftermarket wheels just don't cut it.  

You generally don't see people with the Riviera's and TC's of our Reatta's vintage messing with their cars trying to turn them into something else.  

While I certainly don't find the 90/91 steering wheel attractive, I do find the thought of it saving my life in a crash very attractive.  

I guess I have always been happy and proud of my Reatta's as they came from the factory and like people to see them for what they were. 

20 hours ago, DAVES89 said:

I for one think they look very smart Dave. I as well, have changed out my interior trim to the Riviera Burl Wood, and think it is a vast improvement over the faux carbon fiber looking original plastics. I also traded out my shift knob (Tan) for a black one. Looks much better than the tan one over the black console shift plate. IMHumbleO

As a side note, I agree with your (Ronnie's) comment about negativity serving no purpose here, and quickly blocked that "Fan".  If i wanted negativity, i would simply ask my girlfriend about what I'm wearing for the day! I am beginning to think she never liked pointy lizard cowboy boots! 

Also I can't believe that nobody wants to buy one of those steering wheels and trade it for my whole running 79k mile, Blk over Maroon parts car. I mean, i see those Teves units alone selling in the $500 range. And did I mention that the car runs beautifully, and the overdrive even works? Oh well, I suppose it's more of a geography issue. But anyway . . .  hope everyone is having a cool summer, I haven't been outside during the day in two weeks!

You are certainly right about Riviera's drying up, it is easy to find pristine Reatta's and a good selection, it would take a lot of looking to find a really nice Riv of the 87-93 vintage that is really nice, one pops up on occasion, but not often.  I passed on a triple Rosewood 88 with leather a few years ago and kick myself for doing it.