Sign in to follow this  
old-tank

AC Service got real exciting

Recommended Posts

 

IMG_20190806_160922139.thumb.jpg.a6300fa26768161563e9a678f1648932.jpg

 

I had metal one that was stolen.  This plastic one is 3 years old and crumbling... and they say plastic lasts forever.

And that was my last can of R12!

 

Too hot to work in the shop anyhow.

IMG_20190806_160642772.thumb.jpg.7ff71933499fafa024bc891383bf97df.jpg

 

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't tell nobody, but I have some R-12 and would be happy to help.   PM me...

 

Good Lord, is that really 115 - as in degrees?  We should air condition Texas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, old-tank said:

 

IMG_20190806_160922139.thumb.jpg.a6300fa26768161563e9a678f1648932.jpg

 

I had metal one that was stolen.  This plastic one is 3 years old and crumbling... and they say plastic lasts forever.

And that was my last can of R12!

 

Too hot to work in the shop anyhow.

IMG_20190806_160642772.thumb.jpg.7ff71933499fafa024bc891383bf97df.jpg

 

Willie, What's that tool used for?   And that is quite the shop oven you have there.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good heavens!  Where's the spray foam insulation (with radiant heat barrier material included)??

 

 

A '55 style shop to work on a '55 car in?

 

NTX5467

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

Thought you used keyboard air.

 

  Ben

Yes, I use R-152a refrigerant in all the others and will eventually convert this one too.  I got most of the R12 in before the spinning rocket launch...luckily my gauge set has a check valve so did not lose any from the system.

14 hours ago, avgwarhawk said:

That's slow roasting. 

We call it central heat.  You cannot hold a tool at that temperature.  I leave after 90* or below 50*...this is a hobby and I don't "have to" do anything if uncomfortable.

13 hours ago, JohnD1956 said:

Willie, What's that tool used for?   And that is quite the shop oven you have there.  

That tool punctures and clamps the can from the side.  Works better than the clunky R12 can tap (unless it breaks :o).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, old-tank said:

 

We call it central heat.  You cannot hold a tool at that temperature.  I leave after 90* or below 50*...this is a hobby and I don't "have to" do anything if uncomfortable.

 

 

I'm ok in the 90 degrees if I have my fans going.  Plus, concrete in the garage stays cool.  Not a bad place for a nap in those conditions.  Winter time the concrete is freezing.  My bones and joints feel it after a while.  Agreed, if it does not need to absolutely get done....it can wait for another day.    

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎8‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 12:25 PM, avgwarhawk said:

 

I'm ok in the 90 degrees if I have my fans going.  Plus, concrete in the garage stays cool.  Not a bad place for a nap in those conditions.  Winter time the concrete is freezing.  My bones and joints feel it after a while.  Agreed, if it does not need to absolutely get done....it can wait for another day.    

 

Need wall to wall carpeting on the concrete garage floor to work on the cars in the winter.  It is wonderful.  That plus hot water heat makes working on our projects a pleasure in the winter.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been certified for refrigerant recovery since 1990, used 30 and 125 pound cylinder tanks and 300 pound drums (for R11 derivatives). And had to Google image search to figure out what the heck that tool was.

50 years in the cooling field and never saw one of those critters. Automotive AC ignorance and a 100,000 BTUH furnace in my garage. I turned the furace on one morning last month.

Bernie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When Texas succeeds from the Union,   they are going to use the Astrodome idea and cover the entire state with a huge dome,

that way they can have perfect weather year round.    That will have a secondary benefit to closing all the borders.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

I have been certified for refrigerant recovery since 1990, used 30 and 125 pound cylinder tanks and 300 pound drums (for R11 derivatives). And had to Google image search to figure out what the heck that tool was.

50 years in the cooling field and never saw one of those critters. Automotive AC ignorance and a 100,000 BTUH furnace in my garage. I turned the furace on one morning last month.

Bernie

 

It also can open the sides of beer cans for easy pour with the included handle. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Plastic does last forever, it just keeps breaking in to smaller pieces. It looks like you've already started that process. :)

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The say (whoever they are) that Styrofoam last indefinitely......if true,  why don't the make houses and roads out of it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/12/2019 at 1:36 PM, Larry Schramm said:

 

Need wall to wall carpeting on the concrete garage floor to work on the cars in the winter.  It is wonderful.  That plus hot water heat makes working on our projects a pleasure in the winter.

 

Winter?, Winter?

What is Winter?

 

... now, if y'all want some HUMIDITY .... along with tropic breezes,

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/13/2019 at 10:14 PM, Barney Eaton said:

The say (whoever they are) that Styrofoam last indefinitely......if true,  why don't the make houses and roads out of it?

 

They do make houses out of it. See EFS  siding. I see it all the time on commercial buildings like shopping centers. Great insulation, lousy impact resistance! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They used to make Styrofoam with refrigerant. Tons of CFC's were blown directly into the atmosphere to make the air pockets, more refrigerant than you could use to fill all the hermetic systems that usually held their charge for decades. But regulators being regulators..... well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this