Young people in the hobby DO exist!!

Steve_Mack_CT

4 hours ago, Brill_C-37M_Bus said:

I agree with a lot of the comments here.  As a twentysomething with a ‘51 bus and no mechanical background, I’m grateful to a lot of older hobbyists.  My experiences with older generations are mostly positive, but I have encountered and avoided stick-in-the-mud types who fit every stereotype mentioned in this thread!

Accepting that people who share one of our interests don’t have to share ALL of our interests will help retain new blood.  Like me.

Also, we can’t act like one hobby is better, or “the original,” when compared to other interests.  Even the guy who has tons of the earliest mass-produced cars ever can get out-original’ed sometimes.  Just ask any electric trolley car operator... from a certain comical point of view, this entire car hobby is a bunch of 1900s young whippersnappers with their newfangled horseless carriages!

Yes, the hobby definitely includes Public Transportation vehicles, be it a city transit bus, inter-city highway bus, or a school bus.   

Here is an ex-Edmonton Transit 1949 CCF Brill: https://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?57746-Orphan-of-the-Day-12-31-1949-CCF-Brill-C-36

1937 Twin Coach:  http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?47035-Orphan-of-the-Day-12-17-1937-Twin-Coach

And a 1911 Packard 'mountain wagon' here:  https://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?30461-Packard-truck

Craig

6 hours ago, padgett said:

I once took a '38 Mack dump truck on an economy run. They scored by the ton-mpg. Rules were modified for the next event.

As I recall, the old Mobilgas Economy Runs (later Pure Oil)were also scored by ton-mpg, which as later modified as well.  A 1951 Lincoln won the award that year which went by the ton-mpg, and later, after the rules were changed, 6-cylinder/OD car cars including Studebaker Champions logically won.

Craig

Edited by 8E45E (see edit history)

They leave their tracks behind: https://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?43114-Railroad-Track-Inspection-Cars-(Stude-s-and-Others)

A rare scale model piece is the Lionel Trains 1958 Desoto station wagon inspection car.  (I've never seen one in person, but they say its not as well detailed as it should be, and does not match the level of their train sets.)

Craig

33 minutes ago, John348 said:

Model Trains and building model's are also two hobbies that kids do not participate in anymore 

You're right, John.  There was an article in

The Wall Street Journal a few years ago,

stating that that the model railroad hobby is

concerned, too, about the lack of younger enthusiasts.

(In fact, our forum discussed that subject

in an interesting thread at that time.)

Well, model railroader numbers are declining, but hardly in crisis.  Same as any hobby, really.  I wrote for the youth section in a model train review magazine during college, so it was a topic of great interest.

I’m glad to hear from so many other model railroaders, especially since model trains can be a heck of a good start for future car restorers!  After installing teeny little sound computer chips in 1:160 trains as a teen, nothing electrical on my bus scares or confuses me.

32 minutes ago, Brill_C-37M_Bus said:

Well, model railroader numbers are declining, but hardly in crisis.  Same as any hobby, really.  I wrote for the youth section in a model train review magazine during college, so it was a topic of great interest.

I’m glad to hear from so many other model railroaders, especially since model trains can be a heck of a good start for future car restorers!  After installing teeny little sound computer chips in 1:160 trains as a teen, nothing electrical on my bus scares or confuses me.

I'm one of those model railroaders too and there are two guys in my neighborhood who are also model railroaders, and they have antique cars.  If you look above to my reply to Bernie you'll get a picture of the kind of small city/ town I live in.

17 hours ago, John348 said:

Model Trains and building model's are also two hobbies that kids do not participate in anymore 

Trains are getting expensive as are model car kits.  If someone would show young people the newer Snap-tite model kits that don’t require glue or painting and are made of stronger plastics they might find they enjoy them.  I go to a program that as much as I hate its name, adult day care, provides a place for people over 60 with physical or beginning mental issues to go during the day.  I had them buy some of these snap kits, we assembled them, and then we did an indoor car show with the completed units.  It was a blast!  Most times the guys in these programs feel left out as the women outnumber the guys and many programs cater to the majority.  The snap kits usually run in the $12 to $15 range.

• Like 1

I first tried to buy an antique car when I was in my 20's. I was not able to make a deal on that car. I bought my first antique car when I was 35. I joined AACA after that purchase. The folks in my local AACA Chapter were very welcoming to me and my young family. I am still a member, almost 24 years later. Some of those same members who welcomed me are still in the club. Many others have come over the years and some have died or otherwise left the hobby. Our local Chapter is still active and still adding new members on a constant basis. We have Student Members and College age members who own their own antique cars, including some who own pre-war cars and some who own newer antique autos. Our membership welcomes new members of all ages. While we have a number of young members, the majority of our newer members are in their 50's or 60's which is probably the primary age range of new AACA members. It is usually easier for people of that age to have reached the state of life to be able to have the disposable income to afford a hobby car as well as being able to own or otherwise afford a space for storage of a hobby car. I have signed up quite a few new AACA members at our local Cars and Coffee. This type of informal car meet up is a good place to recruit new members. That type of event typically has a slightly younger demographic group so some of our members routinely attending Cars and Coffee  is helping us attract more younger members than we might find elsewhere.    

19 minutes ago, Buffalowed Bill said:

With no active AACA within an 800 mile radius, here in the PNW, it's hard to know how things might be different.

That's the way it is here in the central highlands of Arizona, and also the way it was on the California Central Coast. 

15 minutes ago, Pfeil said:

That's the way it is here in the central highlands of Arizona, and also the way it was on the California Central Coast. 

I always thought the west coast would have lots of AACA chapters, it’s been a surprise to find out they don’t.  

1 hour ago, TerryB said:

I always thought the west coast would have lots of AACA chapters, it’s been a surprise to find out they don’t.  

I agree. I’d be happy to help with one as long as there’s a group of us helping and the burden isn’t on 2-3 and the rest delegate or flake. Many hands make light work. I live about an hour from Portland. 

When I have brought dad’s 57 to car shows, I encourage the young boys and girls to sit in the car for a photo op, usually with cat eye sunglasses for the gals, and possibly a scarf. I need to think of props for the boys. Ideas? The girls love the color of the car and the boys like to see the roof half up. Same with adult girls and boys. Lol

If they have an emotional connection to a car, (excitement), and a souvenir of the occasion, I think there’s a good chance they will remember that feeling and revisit it when they have the ability to own their own car.

Perhaps AACA events could find some owners who have cars they’d be willing to share for photo ops as long as proper precautions were made to protect the car and the owner was there. Could even print the photos on site and put in a paper frame with the AACA logo. 

0F312A6E-D7B0-4F13-8504-A3500343E901.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TerryB said:

CALIFORNIA

Antelope Valley Region
President - John Knapp
4737 W. Avenue M-8
Quartz Hill, CA 93536-2944

Cabrillo Region
President - Luke Rizzuto
16205 Redwood Lodge Rd
Los Gatos, CA 95033

California Region
President - Paul Bittner
55 Paso Nogal Ct
Pleasant Hill, CA 94523-1700

Fallbrook Vintage Car Club Region
President - Douglas Allen
PO Box 714
Fallbrook, CA 92088

Inland Empire/Palm Springs Region
President - Bill Adams
9800 Oak Glen Rd.
Cherry Valley, CA 92223-3746

Kern County Region
President - John Bakich
10806 Enger St
Bakersfield, CA 93312-3268

Modesto Central Valley Region
President - Robert Raduechel
5701 Garst Rd
Modesto, CA 95357

Mother Lode Region
President - Rich Rinaldi
18560 Lambert Lake Rd
Sonora, CA 95370

Mount Konocti Region
President - Bob Cramer
PO Box 805
Kelseyville, CA 95451

Orange County Region
President - Ray Chips
55 Waterman
Irvine, CA 92602

Palm Springs Region
President - Frank Wenzel
1475 Lobo Way
Palm Springs, CA 92264

Rancho Tehama Yolla Bolly Region
President - James Lovell
PO Box 5817
Corning, CA 96021

Redwood Empire Region
President - Linda Bare
1855 Archer Way
Sebastopol, CA 95472

Salinas Valley Region
President - Donald Cranford
PO Box 7503
Spreckels, CA 93962-7503

San Diego Region
President - Tom McILravy
7321 Le Conte St
San Diego, CA 99114

San Luis Obispo Region
President - Phil Gammons
1344 Avalon St
San Luis Obispo CA 93405

Santa Barbara Region
President - Dana Newquist
605 Juan Crespi Ln
Santa Barbara, CA 93108

Santa Clarita Valley Region
President - Robert Caldwell
25451 Via Macarena
Valencia, CA 91355

Southern California Region
President - Robert Pritchard
532 Rossmore Ave Apt 203
Los Angeles, CA 90004

Southwestern Two-Wheelers Region
President - Harry McGill
1261 Emory St
Imperial Beach, CA 91932-3325

Valle Del Sur Region
President - Russ Carr
13400 Center Ave.
San Martin, CA 95046-9765

Valley Of The Flowers Region
President - Rodney McCarthy
505 S B St
Lompoc, CA 93436

California is a big state. The chapter that I was closest to had a once a year meeting to pick officers, and then had a once a month cruise to a restaurant and sometimes a point of interest like going wine tasting somewhere in the region. Never put on a local car show, never hosted a AACA event while I was a member. I got the impression 90% never worked on a car, the discussions at the monthly cruise weren't about cars for the most part and many people brought a modified car to a restaurant point of interest cruise, which confused people that were casual observers that just happened by and saw modified cars all the while members reiterated the AACA is for bone stock cars.

Where I'm at now ( Prescott national forest area) the closest region is down in the "HOT" Phoenix area but the only chapter that host events and seems active at all is even further away in Tucson. And did I say that my area is a hotbed of old cars.

We do have a Prescott Antique automobile club;

In 1969 a small group of local Prescott residents who were passionate about antique and classic cars decided to start their own car club.  After several meetings to hash out the details, the Prescott Antique Auto Club was chartered in 1970.  Today, approaching 50 years of continuous operation, the club is going strong with over 240 memberships, more than 400 members and over 600 cars in their garages. I would say that the club members cars are about 1/4 to 1/3rd the number of cars in our area.

And for those of you who would probably ask. YES!  I made them aware of AACA to see if they wanted to become a AACA chapter and the answer was a resounding NO.

Yes, the west does cover a lot of area.  I’m in PA, always lived here but had the opportunity to often travel for work to CA.  My son moved to CA three years ago and is always sending me pics of car gatherings but rarely anything put on by AACA.  I thought it was unusual he had not been to AACA events and just assumed it was due to his interest in sports cars, especially those with a German pedigree.  Looks like lots of opportunities for AACA to get more active in that area.

1 hour ago, victorialynn2 said:

I agree. I’d be happy to help with one as long as there’s a group of us helping and the burden isn’t on 2-3 and the rest delegate or flake. Many hands make light work. I live about an hour from Portland. 

When I have brought dad’s 57 to car shows, I encourage the young boys and girls to sit in the car for a photo op, usually with cat eye sunglasses for the gals, and possibly a scarf. I need to think of props for the boys. Ideas? The girls love the color of the car and the boys like to see the roof half up. Same with adult girls and boys. Lol

If they have an emotional connection to a car, (excitement), and a souvenir of the occasion, I think there’s a good chance they will remember that feeling and revisit it when they have the ability to own their own car.

Perhaps AACA events could find some owners who have cars they’d be willing to share for photo ops as long as proper precautions were made to protect the car and the owner was there. Could even print the photos on site and put in a paper frame with the AACA logo. 

0F312A6E-D7B0-4F13-8504-A3500343E901.jpeg

What a beautiful car !  Great picture !!

• Thanks 1

Victoria, I love your car and glad that you have chosen to join with us on the forum. 

There seem to be a fair number of AACA forum members in the PNW, but they seem pretty far flung and it's just been near impossible to garner any real interest.

Terry your right California is big, but all of the West is big. Think about this, there are no active AACA chapters in the states of Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Montana and Utah. When you add the Canadian Provinces of British Columbia and Alberta, you probably have an area as large as all of the US, east of the Mississippi River.

Edited by Buffalowed Bill (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

Buffalowed Bill,

If you can find 15 people who are, or are willing to become, AACA members, you can form a Region in your state. Then if there are at least 5 people in an relatively close geographical areas who are, or are willing to become AACA members, those 5 members can form a local Chapter. The local chapters can have regular meetings and put on local Chapter events. The Statewide Region, could have an event or two during the year, moving it around to be hosted by different chapters in their local areas. That is the basic formula used decades ago here in NC. We have huge numbers of AACA members in NC and have both Chapter, Region, and National AACA events in NC regularly. The AACA headquarters and the AACA Board of Directors can wish to have active AACA clubs in your area forever and it will never happen. It takes people in an area who want to have a club to make it happen. It is really that simple... and yes perhaps that hard. You can complain about a lack of AACA clubs in your area forever, or you can make it happen. 

From the Bylaws:

ARTICLE 7 - REGIONS AND CHAPTERS Section

7.1. Any group of fifteen or more members of AACA must make written application on an approved form to the Board for a Regional Charter. Section

7.2. Five or more members of AACA must apply on an approved form to the governing board of a Region for a Chapter under the administration of the Region. Section

7.3. All applications for Regions and Chapters must be submitted to the Vice President - Regions for review and submission to the Board for approval.

Edited by MCHinson (see edit history)
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, MCHinson said:

Buffalowed Bill,

If you can find 15 people who are, or are willing to become, AACA members, you can form a Region in your state. Then if there are at least 5 people in an relatively close geographical areas who are, or are willing to become AACA members, those 5 members can form a local Chapter. The local chapters can have regular meetings and put on local Chapter events. The Statewide Region, could have an event or two during the year, moving it around to be hosted by different chapters in their local areas. That is the basic formula used decades ago here in NC. We have huge numbers of AACA members in NC and have both Chapter, Region, and National AACA events in NC regularly. The AACA headquarters and the AACA Board of Directors can wish to have active AACA clubs in your area forever and it will never happen. It takes people in an area who want to have a club to make it happen. It is really that simple... and yes perhaps that hard. You can complain about a lack of AACA clubs in your area forever, or you can make it happen. 

From the Bylaws:

ARTICLE 7 - REGIONS AND CHAPTERS Section

7.1. Any group of fifteen or more members of AACA must make written application on an approved form to the Board for a Regional Charter. Section

7.2. Five or more members of AACA must apply on an approved form to the governing board of a Region for a Chapter under the administration of the Region. Section

7.3. All applications for Regions and Chapters must be submitted to the Vice President - Regions for review and submission to the Board for approval.

Did you read this?

Some of us have tried!

In 1969 a small group of local Prescott residents who were passionate about antique and classic cars decided to start their own car club.  After several meetings to hash out the details, the Prescott Antique Auto Club was chartered in 1970.  Today, approaching 50 years of continuous operation, the club is going strong with over 240 memberships, more than 400 members and over 600 cars in their garages. I would say that the club members cars are about 1/4 to 1/3rd the number of cars in our area.

And for those of you who would probably ask. YES!  I made them aware of AACA to see if they wanted to become a AACA chapter and the answer was a resounding NO.

2 hours ago, Pfeil said:

Did you read this?

Some of us have tried!

Yes, I read that post. My post was directed to someone who has complained repeatedly over many years that there are no antique car clubs in his area. The bottom line is if you want a club in your area, you need to work with others to start one. The independent club in your area is well established and apparently does not want to change that status. If it is working for them, I understand. I am a member of multiple clubs. If you also want to see an AACA affiliated club in your area, I would suggest you should research unaffiliated AACA members in your area and consider starting an AACA Region in your area. There is room for people to be members of multiple clubs, and there are often opportunities for multiple clubs in a local area, each complementing and often working with the others. 

Any AACA member can easily go to the club's website, sign in, and search for other AACA members in their area or any other area. A quick check shows that there are 17 current AACA members in the city of Portland, OR (10 Joint Member couples, and 7 individual members). That is more than enough members to form an AACA Region headquartered in Portland if someone in that area wants to get a Region Started.   

4 hours ago, MCHinson said:

Any AACA member can easily go to the club's website, sign in, and search for other AACA members in their area or any other area. A quick check shows that there are 17 current AACA members in the city of Portland, OR (10 Joint Member couples, and 7 individual members). That is more than enough members to form an AACA Region headquartered in Portland if someone in that area wants to get a Region Started.   

That doesn’t even include me because I’ve been having trouble getting into the site to renew and it’s kind of been on the back burner. I emailed them recently to fix it. I miss the magazine. 

Edited by victorialynn2 (see edit history)

Exactly my point there are enough members to start numerous chapters, but nothing comes of my cajoling. If you think hearing about it is tiring, you aught to try it from this side. I've gotten old trying to affect a change, which never comes.

I do apologize for some of my responses, that to some must seem to be rants. But this is the only way that I have the reach the anonymous regional membership, at the same time make the rest of the membership realize that, with all the talk about bring youth into the AACA, there is a huge section of the hobby without some of the same benefits that many of you have.  God only knows how many new members the hobby could gain, were there events available to them. 

As for the few young gearheads, who here thinks that without a club willing to accept them the way they are, that they will ever become part of the mainstream hobby? There is no magic about change, but change for the sake of what-old iron for which they have no affinity, history, that most seem to have little interest in, or their grandfather's company? This is a different generation then any that we have seen in our lifetime. For seventy years one of the common denominators that the generation could count on to bring them together, was the automobile, but no more.

Bill

Victoria, the AACA membership is based on the 

calendar year.  So if you renew now, you'll be good

for the remaining 4 or 5 months of 2019.  Also, the

office tries to send magazine issues from earlier in the year

if they still have them, so you should get the year's

worth of magazines.

If the website is still giving problems, you could call

the main office in Hershey, Pa. and they could probably

take the renewal information by phone.  (With a credit

card?)  Or they could mail you a renewal form.

It's definitely worth being a member!

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Buffalowed Bill said:

Exactly my point there are enough members to start numerous chapters, but nothing comes of my cajoling. If you think hearing about it is tiring, you aught to try it from this side. I've gotten old trying to affect a change, which never comes.

I do apologize for some of my responses, that to some must seem to be rants. But this is the only way that I have the reach the anonymous regional membership, at the same time make the rest of the membership realize that, with all the talk about bring youth into the AACA, there is a huge section of the hobby without some of the same benefits that many of you have.  God only knows how many new members the hobby could gain, were there events available to them. 

As for the few young gearheads, who here thinks that without a club willing to accept them the way they are, that they will ever become part of the mainstream hobby? There is no magic about change, but change for the sake of what-old iron for which they have no affinity, history, that most seem to have little interest in, or their grandfather's company? This is a different generation then any that we have seen in our lifetime. For seventy years one of the common denominators that the generation could count on to bring them together, was the automobile, but no more.

Bill

Bill,

My best advice is as follows. Look up the members who are local to you in the online listing on the website. Prepare an invitation flyer to an AACA Local Region organizational meeting. Mail the flyer to those who are in your area. You may want to drive an antique car over to as many of them as possible instead of mailing them. With a personal invitation from a guy driving an antique car, you will probably get a better response. Whoever shows up to your organizational meeting will probably know other gearheads who are not current AACA members. You can obtain the necessary forms from headquarters to start a Region. When you get those, also be sure to get a stack of AACA Membership forms and brochures. The brochures have a place on them for a local region or chapter contact. A computer generated label to put on those forms with a phone number and email address for contact is a good idea. 

I would also suggest you check on facebook (or get someone else to check for you if you are not on facebook) for your local Cars and Coffee. Drive an antique car to your Cars and Coffee every time it meets. Talk to people there. Have prospective members packets ready to hand out. The packets I use have our local Chapter membership form, an NC Region membership form, a National AACA membership form, a cover letter, a region trifold information flyer, a national brochure, and a local chapter informational sheet.  I have signed up more new AACA members at our local cars and coffee event this year than at any other venue. As long as you (or a family member or friend) can create some basic forms and print them up to create a prospective member packets to hand out to folks, you will find it is not that hard to sign up members. Another good idea is to have some extra old issues of Antique Automobile to hand out to folks who are not AACA members. The quality of the magazine alone, helps sign up prospective new members. 

DSC_0977.JPG

1 hour ago, Buffalowed Bill said:

Bill

Bill, the only young kids that I know in my area that are into cars are the "TUNER CARS" These kids are the new hot hotrodders of today. Like the hot rods of yester year that are still being made they all have a common thread. All of them are modified cars, and modified cars don't go well with the terms Restoration, Preservation which are hallmarks of clubs like AACA.

3 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Victoria, the AACA membership is based on the 

calendar year.  So if you renew now, you'll be good

for the remaining 4 or 5 months of 2019.  Also, the

office tries to send magazine issues from earlier in the year

if they still have them, so you should get the year's

worth of magazines.

If the website is still giving problems, you could call

the main office in Hershey, Pa. and they could probably

take the renewal information by phone.  (With a credit

card?)  Or they could mail you a renewal form.

It's definitely worth being a member!

Thanks and I know it’s worth it. The lapse has more to do with being overwhelmed with responsibilities and putting my wants on the back burner. I will call tomorrow if the don’t answer my email. Thank you!

Personally I think AACA should focus on being the body for unmodified vehicles over 25 years as it has for some time.  Most folks know you cannot beat marque specific clubs for measuring the very best cars, but general meets that encompass all makes has a place no one else can fill.  Why dilute that? 

In my experience, driving my 1937 Buick is all it takes to attract people into the hobby and AACA. I drive it to lunch, dinner, Cars and Coffee, and other opportunities on a regular basis. People of all ages seem to want to talk about the car. I typically have prospective member kits in my car and hand them out to those who express interest in joining the club when I talk with them about old cars, the hobby, and AACA. They don't all join, but more of them do than you might suspect. I offer rides to those who like old cars but don't have one. They are often suprised how affordable an antique car can be. They often think that they can't afford one, but are surprised to learn that you can get a good driving decent looking AACA elighbile car for a lot less than they have been lead to believe by watching car auction shows on TV. You never know when those seeds planted will grow. Even if it does not gain a new member, you can have fun sharing the hobby in this manner.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 48Firetruck said:

What's the real advantage of becoming affiliated [with AACA]?  And don't say the great magazine and camaraderie,  there's more quality reading material on the internet than the magazine could print in 20 lifetimes and everyone already has friends with common interest.

Mr. 48, I'll point out my thoughts.  The great magazine

and the camaraderie ARE very appealing.  If I may explain:

---I've known car fans before belonging to the AACA, but

joining, and actively participating by producing a regional

newsletter, has greatly broadened my group of friends.

I know people from all walks of life, including some with

interesting stories--and even across the country, too.

---The magazine is a tangible way to learn more about cars.

Reading on a computer screen isn't all that comfortable--

especially for those who work on a computer during the day--

and the quality of the magazine's writing is excellent, sometimes

better than the variable quality of unknown internet authors.

Also:

---A region or chapter that is part of the AACA receives

excellent insurance benefits when putting on a show or tour.

This alone may be worth the affiliation!

---The AACA, being the nation's largest car club, is an

advocate for the hobby as a whole.  Members have helped

protect against restrictive legislation and helped win some

of the benefits that car owners enjoy.

---Members of the national AACA have access to old-car

events (national meets and tours) all across the country.

Actively participating will broaden one's interests and 

circle of friends FAR beyond what a local club can possibly do.

So expand those horizons!  Grow, and always do more and better things!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1