Young people in the hobby DO exist!!

Steve_Mack_CT

This made my day.  I was coming back from the dealership a little while ago (for a noise they cannot seem to diagnose but that is an entirely different matter..) and I pull into our neighborhood.  A few houses down from me I see a kid in his early 20s with a 29 Chrysler roadster in about the shape my A is in, holding the carb in his hand walking around.  I stopped and we introduced each other, he inherited the car from his grandfather and it interested in keeping it running in stock form - maybe restoring someday.

Needless to say I am stockpiling some excess books, etc. for him.

Can we get this guy into the AACA Steve M, West or anyone else?

Yet ANOTHER car friend who is under 30 let alone 40 or 50.

turned my mood around instantly!!!  🙂

• Like 8

As long as we try to convince our young people to like the cars that we like, we will fail. If we really want to include the young in our circles, we would have to understand and accept the cars that they like. We know that the first is premise has failed, but it remains to be seen if we old timers will be willing to adjust. I doubt that many of us will go the extra mile. Once we are gone, what is left of the hobby will look vastly different then it does today.

Edited by Buffalowed Bill (see edit history)
  • Like 3

36 minutes ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

Can we get this guy into the AACA Steve M, West or anyone else?🙂

Certainly.  Every year, each AACA region president 

receives 4 free national memberships to give out to

newcomers who have never belonged to the AACA.

They're intended as "free trials" so people may renew

on their own the next year.  Some regions reportedly

don't use them all!  So ask your AACA region president.

Maybe give him an occasional ride in your own Model A,

and show periodic interest in his own car's progress.

And remember he's not just a kid!

I certainly don't mind associating with car fans who may

be years or decades older than I.  I learn from them and

like to hear the stories of things I never lived through.

One friend is an active 99 and still has a car he got new in 1935!

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Steve Mack call me.  Bill sorry to disagree with you, to simply abdicate that no young person will not like what we like will absolutely doom the hobby.  We need to respect what they like but also introduce them to our world. Tastes change and many people have gravitated to different cars over time.  As a former hot rod guy I never thought I would fall in love with brass cars but I did.  We see lots of young people who are even touring in our ancient machines.

Whether it is a shows, on our VERY active group Facebook page we are seeing more and more young people.  Not in the droves we would like but young people and women are taking a more active role.  That being said, I totally agree that we need to understand how to deal with the latest generations and what they like.  People are working on it hard and from a lot of different angles. 

Our cars and the history they bring forth must be saved and AACA and others plan on having a positive effect on the car hobby for a long time to come. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Buffalowed Bill said:

As long as we try to convince our young people to like the cars that we like, we will fail. If we really want to include the young in our circles, we would have to understand and accept the cars that they like. We know that the first is premise has failed, but it remains to be seen if we old timers will be willing to adjust. I doubt that many of us will go the extra mile. Once we are gone, what is left of the hobby will look vastly different then it does today.

Why try to convince anyone let alone young people to like anything. It sounds like someone is trying to sell something.  Setting a example of restored cars and encouragement of the curious that look into the car hobby is the way to go. AACA makes it clear about how old a car has to be to compete. I've never heard someone in any sort of capacity discourage owners cars which have just turned 25 years old.

The real threat is people and leaders that will forever threaten our hobby by way of persuading popular opinion of old cars in a negative way. Teaching the young that automobiles, planes, trains, ships are causing  grave harm and should be done away with. This is where the problem of us being able to continue the way we want to in our love for the automobile and in reality our way of life is most paramount. Go to car shows and listen to the young people talk about our cars. Listen to your grandchildren, ask them what they learn in schools about our cars, the energy sector of our economy, industry in general. See how minds are molded. Hear the difference between a society which used to say  "can do" as opposed to the "can't do" society.  

• Like 4

Thanks Steve M - and others will call you tomorrow Steve.  I would spring for it myself but have a few other things up my sleeve for this kid.  Yes, if he was working on an '88 Civic he would still be a young hobbyist, but I think if he shows up to a show like our Klingberg series in this 50 year old paint, rock solid Chrysler roadster with artillery wheels someone loved, golf bag door and stone stock, the crowd will love it!  🙂

He is working on basic servicing now, and I am trying to find local support more knowledgeable on these early MOPARs than me, have a couple of leads.

He already seems to appreciate the car for what it is and that it belonged to grandpa - he has some concerns about his abilities to get it properly serviced and road ready...  I did not say the "R" word as there seemed to be no need and he has already heard "don't rod it" by now I am sure.  

Now I just need to influence him away from that awful music, but we will get there! 😉

Fun stuff!!

• Like 1

Steve_Mack_CT, that's great.   It's always super-important to show the next generation how fun old cars are and to make the hobby accessible to them.  A few contacts with friendly helpers in the hobby can go a long way towards that.   Then it's up to them to decide if that's what they want, as it always is.

• Like 1

Great advice guys.  Mike Stearns - ahh, 56 Chevys.  Tell her the DUMBEST move I ever made was to swap mine (one car I can say I restored end to end, a nice, stock 210 two door sedan) for a real POS Corvette.  Corvette fever can be dangerous, especially when one is in their early 20s....  Even my grandma rest her soul was not pleased with me for that blunder...

Bill I agree philosophically but he is already there - the cool thing!!  I seem to meet at least a couple of under 40s every year who like prewar cars.  I assume a lot like other cars as well, but it is not where I spend my time so I could not say as much there...

While the focus seems to be on recruiting the "young" to the hobby an argument could be made that is the wrong place to mine for newbies. The vast majority of younger folks, no matter how interested in old cars, will succumb  to the realities of raising a family, providing for their children financially and coping with life in general. If they ever do rekindle their interest it will be in later life when they have fewer commitments, more time, and more disposable income.

It seems to me more would be gained by courting the empty nest cohort that are  looking for a new interest to perk up their lives rather than chasing the pie in the sky dream of a whole new generation of eager young recruits. ..........Bob

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Over the past 50+ years the thing that has alienated me from segments on the hobby is the manner in which another person's values were imposed on me. I am sure they had no idea they came on that way. They did. It was the tone of voice, body language, and faultless attitude. Even "the R word". That stands for "restore", right. They always told me not to mess around with those big, rusty project cars. That kind of stuff was for the hot rodders.

And for heaven's sake, if someone new comes to a chapter meeting make it car related. So many antique car club meetings feel like a social buffet in purgatory.

Bernie

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Pfeil said:

Why try to convince anyone let alone young people to like anything. It sounds like someone is trying to sell something.  Setting a example of restored cars and encouragement of the curious that look into the car hobby is the way to go. AACA makes it clear about how old a car has to be to compete. I've never heard someone in any sort of capacity discourage owners cars which have just turned 25 years old.

The real threat is people and leaders that will forever threaten our hobby by way of persuading popular opinion of old cars in a negative way. Teaching the young that automobiles, planes, trains, ships are causing  grave harm and should be done away with. This is where the problem of us being able to continue the way we want to in our love for the automobile and in reality our way of life is most paramount. Go to car shows and listen to the young people talk about our cars. Listen to your grandchildren, ask them what they learn in schools about our cars, the energy sector of our economy, industry in general. See how minds are molded. Hear the difference between a society which used to say  "can do" as opposed to the "can't do" society.  

One of the problems is that there is a certain amount of truth regarding the downside of automobiles and humans. Probably not to the degree that the green movement zealots would have people believe,  and not even all emissions related { congestion, urban sprawl etc.}.

There is a place in the world for better utilization and expansion of things like public transit. And I myself am one of the first ones to inwardly laugh at the twisted consumer logic that makes a quite large SUV or similar vehicle the popular choice of many people these days.

Vintage cars, as often portrayed  these days as dinosaur gas guzzlers make a very easy target for the zealots. I don't think there is much we can do about this. So many things in our lives are becoming politicised and propagandized about that arriving at a clear headed understanding about almost anything is actually quite difficult in recent years. Very few issues are truly black and white, and various forces are becoming very skilful in the art of convincing using the tools of half truths, and exploiting the power of doubt and misinformation. 

The old car hobby is just a very small part of a much larger modern trend.  

Be true to your belief's and lead by example.

Greg in Canada

1 hour ago, Bhigdog said:

While the focus seems to be on recruiting the "young" to the hobby an argument could be made that is the wrong place to mine for newbies. The vast majority of younger folks, no matter how interested in old cars, will succumb  to the realities of raising a family, providing for their children financially and coping with life in general. If they ever do rekindle their interest it will be in later life when they have fewer commitments, more time, and more disposable income.

It seems to me more would be gained by courting the empty nest cohort that are  looking for a new interest to perk up their lives rather than chasing the pie in the sky dream of a whole new generation of eager young recruits. ..........Bob

I agree that empty nesters are a great group of future antique car buyers.  On the other hand, I had three antique cars before I met my wife, and I made clear early on in our dating that the cars would be part of any deal.  :)

• Like 1

I’m 30. Have had my current automobile, a 1926 Dodge Brothers since 2017. And got my first classic, a 1959 Edsel in 2008 when I was 19. Cut my teeth on that car. Learned a lot. Sold it last year. Who knows what’s next. 

• Like 4

Of course there are no absolutes. My point is that if the choice becomes choosing between family obligations and a hobby the family almost always,and should, win. Soon after i was married i bought an old 1937 buick with the idea of fixing it up. Then my kids were born. Then i changed careers.  Then i built a house. After 20 years i sold the buick that had long since turned into a barn find.

In due course when time, finances and desire  came together I bought, restored, and showed a succession of 5 cars.

I'm guessing my experience is FAR more common than the youngster who is courted at a young age and then devotes his adult life to old cars.

Just sayin the repeated mantra of "we need to involve the youth" while a nice thought ain't where the meat and potatos is......bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)

It also makes me feel good to run across young people interested in old cars. A high school student pulled over in his truck to talk to me about the old Ford I was vacuuming out. His friends were with him in the truck, and I got the impression they were teasing him about his old car interest, but he still made the effort to talk to me. Like a lot of really young drivers, he wasn't made of money. He said his one and only old car was a '90's Ford Aerostar van. You have to show enthusiasm for whatever vehicle they have, and that's what I did, though I know little about Aerostars. Someday he may work back to cars of the 80's or 70's, which would be really ancient for him.

4 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

Over the past 50+ years the thing that has alienated me from segments on the hobby is the manner in which another person's values were imposed on me. I am sure they had no idea they came on that way. They did. It was the tone of voice, body language, and faultless attitude. Even "the R word". That stands for "restore", right. They always told me not to mess around with those big, rusty project cars. That kind of stuff was for the hot rodders.

And for heaven's sake, if someone new comes to a chapter meeting make it car related. So many antique car club meetings feel like a social buffet in purgatory.

Bernie

One of the reasons I left(there were more) the local chapter of the POC in 2014 was it seemed like I was driving 3 hours each way for lunch.  Nice group of people for sure but not too much working on cars.  Got to the point where the business meetings were twice a year.  I felt that what I was interested in was not addressed(i.e. working on the cars).   i have not rejoined any Club since.

7 hours ago, plymouthcranbrook said:

One of the reasons I left(there were more) the local chapter of the POC in 2014 was it seemed like I was driving 3 hours each way for lunch.  Nice group of people for sure but not too much working on cars.  Got to the point where the business meetings were twice a year.  I felt that what I was interested in was not addressed(i.e. working on the cars).   i have not rejoined any Club since.

Interesting read.

I’m a member of a local historic vehicle club and have similar experiences. Many in the group seem to focus heavily on the social aspect of eating out and similar events and very very little on cars. I even suggested a serious of “how to workshops” but nothing ever eventuated.

Currently I am considering joining another group of Hot Rod owners as they seem to be more in tune with what I am searching for, even though my ‘38 Buick will never be a hot rod.

Because of our concessional registration requirements to belong to a car club, I might as well be in one that I like!

12 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

Bernie

Yup, exactly that!

Rodney 😀😀😀😀😀😀

7 minutes ago, rodneybeauchamp said:

I’m a member of a local historic vehicle club and have similar experiences. Many in the group seem to focus heavily on the social aspect of eating out and similar events and very very little on cars. I even suggested a serious of “how to workshops” but nothing ever eventuated.

Rodney

Our local chapter of the Studebaker DRIVERS Club tries to have driving tours in the summer months in lieu of formal monthly meetings, so we don't become just the 'Studebaker Diners Club'.

Craig

11 hours ago, 1935Packard said:

I agree that empty nesters are a great group of future antique car buyers.  On the other hand, I had three antique cars before I met my wife, and I made clear early on in our dating that the cars would be part of any deal.  :)

Time to re-negotiate the deal........to six cars or more. Don't tell her I said this!

• Like 1

All good points on club membership.  Another mistake I think is loading up the new guy or younger person with club tasks.  I left the local AACA region because 3, 4 retired guys felt the need to delegate everything to a couple of us "young guns" - who BTW, have full time plus jobs.  I found it more of a hassle than fun.  But club membership, focus of a given club, etc. is secondary I think, to cultivating the interest.  As 35Packard notes, ultimately the individual decides what trips his or her trigger.  Personally I like cars a lot of folks ignore - I will pass a flock of muscle cars to find the prewar stuff.  If I go to a local show with my brother in law, we walk different sides of the show  and catch up later.  All good, though.  Will be stopping by Mat's later with a care package and hope it is helpful!  

• Like 1

I'm 37, so no kid, but on the younger end of the spectrum.  I think the important thing is what's discussed above - I'm in my local AACA chapter but I can't make it to everything. Went to a cruise-in with the club this Saturday, but had to leave early because my kids were going crazy and it was past their bedtime. I think the connectivity offered by the internet and forums like this will really save the hobby.  I've gotten advice from across the globe as I've working on my Packard!

Mr. Beck, how come you are so much nicer in person!  You even smile! :) Good seeing you this past weekend.  Seriously, you are absolutely right about the MAIN focus is not real young people.  Just A focus!  We will lose a few generations if we do not focus on those with time and disposable income and the time to devote to this hobby.  It is a big reason why we developed the Military program which is finally starting to take off !  However, nurturing and supporting young people still must happen as well.

So I dropped off a care package to my new friend this morning.  He was knee deep in the Chrysler, which is a 27, I was mistaken yesterday.  He is going to email or text me his name & address, he is 20 years of age.  He remembers riding in the car with his grandfather as a child, and definately wants it running as it did a few years back.  Never heard of AACA, this forum, or even Hemmings.  So he has a lot to learn, and he also now has a couple of contacts who PM-ed who know those early Chrysler cars much better than i do.  A good start... 🙂

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

They're out there and i find most of them have a lot of disdain for those who try to tell them anything with an engine is bad. 

I have two teenage car buddies, one 19-year-old who is searching for a 1969 Barracuda (and is finding that even hardcore Mopar folks are dismissive of the 67-69 cars) and a 17-year-old who has a nicely done 1992 Camaro 25th Anniversary. I took them to the GAA auction in Greensboro a couple weeks ago and those boys were in heaven. Both can talk knowledgeably about cars and the Camaro kid takes exceptional care of his car, as I'm sure the Cuda kid will once he finds it.

So I encourage youngun's who like cars every chance I get, as we all should do. They get fed enough crap without older car guys feeding them more.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

Mr. Beck, how come you are so much nicer in person!  You even smile

Nice talking to you also, Steve. Most people do find me pleasant and helpful. I do consider myself principled and as you probably noticed I don't hesitate to voice my opinions and when necessary press my point. It's seldom personal.

4 hours ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

Seriously, you are absolutely right about the MAIN focus is not real young people.  Just A focus!  We will lose a few generations if we do not focus on those with time and disposable income and the time to devote to this hobby.

I'm glad we are in agreement. And apparently we are. I was expecting  a bit of a negative reaction and am glad most, so far at least, took my comments as constructive and not as a mindless complaint.

Likely just as important, perhaps even more so, is retaining members. I've let my membership lapse this year. I wonder why. Do you?..............Bob

My son seen here at 18, in 2017 washing the car. Getting ready for a cruise. I let him take it out for cruises with his girlfriend. He's loves the car. He has told me I am not ever allowed to sell it as some day he wants to claim that "Ya, this was my Dad's car when I was a teenager. I own it now." That brings me a smile.

However I am not sure what is to become of the the blood, sweat, and tears required to own and maintain an old car like this. My son seems busy with many other things in his life. Wrenching is not anywhere near the top of his list of interests. Perhaps he will slow down as he ages and become more like his old man? I hope so. I just can't get enough of the time I spend, over the fenders of my vintage cars. I thoroughly enjoy repairing and maintaining them. To me, it's a big benefit of owning an old car. To my son, it seems like maybe something he'll deal with in the future.

We all come from different up-bringing. The times today are very different than when each of us were young. I was over, under, and on my old jalopies every weekend out of necessity. Just to keep them running. My old man had little to no car wrenching experience, so I had to figure things out. Often the hard way. Often throwing good money after bad to try and repair a wore out car. Todays junkers are computerized, OBD-equipped cars with fuel injection, ABS and a host of other ailments to try and repair. A 20 year old car today would likely not be all that cheap, nor fun try and keep running for a young person new to wrenching. In 1987 my 14 year old Pinto, or my 11 year old Dodge Dart were simple vehicles. Bolt on parts and go. I did not know much about the words, scanner or diagnostics.

Young people today do drive. I see a lot of them in 2003 Honda Civics. Or Toyotas or some other Asian car. As repair parts and shipping costs continue to sky-rocket in price, do they more often just drive 'em to death and crush 'em? Missing out on all the wrenching we did as teens? These newer cars are not built to last that's fore sure. Car culture has evolved, much has changed. Perhaps as all the baby-boomers age, vintage car prices will fall?  Perhaps a new generation is waiting in the wings for price reductions? Maybe there is a large group on the cusp of taking over? We shall see. Already we know that there are few cars that can be restored for profits any more. Many old cars barely attract a sell price that will allow an owner to break even on new installed parts alone. Never mind body and paint costs.

I am a member of my local Vintage Car Club. I get my son involved whenever I can. He drives club owned vintage cars whenever possible. He respects and actually likes old, stock, cars. I will continue to try and keep hum interested. Also continue to try and attract interest in the club, from a younger generation.

IMG_1796.PNG

30 minutes ago, keithb7 said:

My son seen here at 18, in 2017 washing the car. Getting ready for a cruise. I let him take it out for cruises with his girlfriend. He's loves the car. He has told me I am not ever allowed to sell it as some day he wants to claim that "Ya, this was my Dad's car when I was a teenager. I own it now." That brings me a smile.

However I am not sure what is to become of the the blood, sweat, and tears required to own and maintain an old car like this. My son seems busy with many other things in his life. Wrenching is not anywhere near the top of his list of interests. Perhaps he will slow down as he ages and become more like his old man? I hope so. I just can't get enough of the time I spend, over the fenders of my vintage cars. I thoroughly enjoy repairing and maintaining them. To me, it's a big benefit of owning an old car. To my son, it seems like maybe something he'll deal with in the future.

We all come from different up-bringing. The times today are very different than when each of us were young. I was over, under, and on my old jalopies every weekend out of necessity. Just to keep them running. My old man had little to no car wrenching experience, so I had to figure things out. Often the hard way. Often throwing good money after bad to try and repair a wore out car. Todays junkers are computerized, OBD-equipped cars with fuel injection, ABS and a host of other ailments to try and repair. A 20 year old car today would likely not be all that cheap, nor fun try and keep running for a young person new to wrenching. In 1987 my 14 year old Pinto, or my 11 year old Dodge Dart were simple vehicles. Bolt on parts and go. I did not know much about the words, scanner or diagnostics.

Young people today do drive. I see a lot of them in 2003 Honda Civics. Or Toyotas or some other Asian car. As repair parts and shipping costs continue to sky-rocket in price, do they more often just drive 'em to death and crush 'em? Missing out on all the wrenching we did as teens? These newer cars are not built to last that's fore sure. Car culture has evolved, much has changed. Perhaps as all the baby-boomers age, vintage car prices will fall?  Perhaps a new generation is waiting in the wings for price reductions? Maybe there is a large group on the cusp of taking over? We shall see. Already we know that there are few cars that can be restored for profits any more. Many old cars barely attract a sell price that will allow an owner to break even on new installed parts alone. Never mind body and paint costs.

I am a member of my local Vintage Car Club. I get my son involved whenever I can. He drives club owned vintage cars whenever possible. He respects and actually likes old, stock, cars. I will continue to try and keep hum interested. Also continue to try and attract interest in the club, from a younger generation.

IMG_1796.PNG

Two cars in my car collection I have owned since I was 17, one I bought used and the other I special ordered new. I got my love of cars from my Dad and my brother-in-law, then later in school. I was schooled in the Los Angeles Unified school district in the middle of the last century. In those days EVERY school boy, whether or not he was going to college or not had to have at least one semester of drafting, print shop, wood shop, metal shop, electric shop by the end of the 9th grade. The 3 year H/S was Wood shop, Electric shop, Auto shop, Machine shop, Welding shop, and again drafting. If you were going to college among the afore mentioned you would have had your algebra by the 8th grade and your first year of a foreign language  and geometry done by the end of the 9th grade. We also had the usual english, history, geography, music appreciation, art appreciation and P.E. for a total of seven periods a day.

School in those day taught you how to use your head and your hands. Later on in life even if you didn't have a job in one of those fields you sure had a understanding and appreciation of what other people did for a living. What we got was a good foundation, but I'm afraid the kids growing up today do not have a basic background. My daughter-n law teaches H/S calculus and she can tell you if you take the calculator away the kids are lost.

This leads us to the cars of the mid 70's to present day. Kids will have no problem dealing with OBD1, 2 and when it comes OBD3. The question arises will they know how to use the machines in the machine shop, or how to check the machinist work when the engine block come back after being sent out?

Todays car's aren't as complicated as you may think and the advantage is they can talk to you. For example today, my 2019 truck developed a ABS brake pulsation. Instead of having to check all the wheel sensors my scanner had already pin pointed that the rt rear sensor was at fault and upon inspection it revealed some road debris had been kicked up and damaged it.

As said before in other threads that the problem of the long term future will have more to do with desire and ability of future car lovers,  parts being stored or more importantly reproduced, the price and availability of fuel, even attitudes of popular opinion of society looking down at people for owning such environmentally incorrect vehicles.

Just a note about the photo above; For over 60+ years owners manuals have said to never wash a vehicle in the sun.

On 8/6/2019 at 2:10 PM, Steve_Mack_CT said:

This made my day.  I was coming back from the dealership a little while ago (for a noise they cannot seem to diagnose but that is an entirely different matter..) and I pull into our neighborhood.  A few houses down from me I see a kid in his early 20s with a 29 Chrysler roadster in about the shape my A is in, holding the carb in his hand walking around.  I stopped and we introduced each other, he inherited the car from his grandfather and it interested in keeping it running in stock form - maybe restoring someday.

Needless to say I am stockpiling some excess books, etc. for him.

Can we get this guy into the AACA Steve M, West or anyone else?

Yet ANOTHER car friend who is under 30 let alone 40 or 50.

turned my mood around instantly!!!  🙂

They are out there and starting to pop up and be noticed.  Read this article from the recent Concours of America at St John’s.  

http://americajr.com/news/2019/07/29/john-d-groendyke-bill-warner-honored-at-41st-concours-delegance-of-america/

Ben is 18, owns that car on his own, maintains it, drives it, and enjoys the heck out of it. He is also an instructor at the Gilmore Model T driving school and a member of the CCCA.  There is no AACA group in our Michigan area.

• Like 1

I used calculus in College  about 35 years ago. I would also be lost if you took my calculator away. In High School in the mid 1970's we took the basics of slide rules etc. however calculators were just showing up. I had a 5 year gap between HS and Technical College , by that time calculators were completely dominant. So the pre - calculator generation is rather getting on these days. Lots of my generation involved with hobby cars despite our calculator crutch.

Greg in Canada

4 minutes ago, 1912Staver said:

I used calculus in College  about 35 years ago. I would also be lost if you took my calculator away. In High School in the mid 1970's we took the basics of slide rules etc. however calculators were just showing up. I had a 5 year gap between HS and Technical College , by that time calculators were completely dominant. So the pre - calculator generation is rather getting on these days. Lots of my generation involved with hobby cars despite our calculator crutch.

Greg in Canada

You are missing the point. Without a calculator and not knowing how to use that calculator in your head anymore you are useless. It's like trying to build a house without a foundation.

Sorry, I was just trying to point out that calculators have actually been a tool in the study of math for quite a long time. 

My Son graduated HS last year. I helped him with things like math and science home work as needed. I was actually quite impressed at both the breadth and depth of all the courses he was taking. Not just the core academics but all his HS courses.

We still have shop courses here in B.C. Canada. My Son didn't take much beyond the Jr. level wood and drafting; he is much more of a music person,  however at parent teacher night I could see there were quite thriving shop programs. I was briefly a shop teacher myself so I take a stronger than average  parental interest in what is going on in shop class.

I know HS shop programs have been eliminated in some geographical areas, however a fair number do still exist.

Greg in Canada

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

4 minutes ago, 1912Staver said:

Sorry, I was just trying to point out that calculators have actually been a tool in the study of math for quite a long time. 

My Son graduated HS last year. I helped him with things like math and science home work as needed. I was actually quite impressed at both the breadth and depth of all the courses he was taking. Not just the core academics but all his HS courses.

We still have shop courses here in B.C. Canada. My Son didn't take much beyond the Jr. level wood and drafting; he is much more of a music person,  however at parent teacher night I could see there were quite thriving shop programs. I was briefly a shop teacher myself so I take a stronger than average  parental interest in what is going on in shop class.

I know HS shop programs have been eliminated in some geographical areas, however a fair number do still exist.

Greg in Canada

Greg, the point I was trying to make about the shop classes is when I went to school EVERY boy had to take those classes, not just the guys that would eventually be working in the trades. Also all the girls had to take home economic classes and as with the guys it didn't matter if they were college prep or not.

It is still like that here except all students take all the classes. Wood working , drafting, electricity, foods, art, music. Both boys and girls rotate through all the grade 8 courses. After that the courses are elective. The students can pursue the areas they have interest in. HS is just too broad these days for everyone to take everything beyond grade 8.

Greg

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)