Kitisuru

1929 Dodge Brothers in Kenya

Hello Dave,

That's fascinating! What are the serial numbers of the car just before ours and the car just after ours in your database?

This thread sure got interesting in a hurry........ 👍

Hi Dave,

The spare wheel has indeed the second type hub that you said it should have.  I also took some pics of the underside of the car, the rear lever arm shock absorbers are not connected, possibly confirming the rear axle is wrong. The handbrake is at the rear of the gearbox, which I think is 4 speed as reverse is offset to the right.

Maybe the whole drive train (engine g/box and rear axle) comes from a T110L Dodge truck...

20190809_142205.jpg

20190809_142236.jpg

20190809_142318.jpg

20190809_142110.jpg

20190809_142137.jpg

10 hours ago, Kitisuru said:

Hello Dave,

That's fascinating! What are the serial numbers of the car just before ours and the car just after ours in your database?

Hello JP,

This following information is only correct if your cars serial number is E-119-ES. The DC-8 sedan that is 333 serial numbers before yours has a serial number of E-116-YH and was built on March 28th 1930 and the next car in my data-base following yours was a roadster with a serial number of E-120-HR (I don't have a build card for it). During the month of March they built around 166 DC-8 cars per day. March was a very high production month at Dodge Main for in addition to the 4,323 DC-8 cars that they built, they were also building the DD-6 cars, the Senior Six and they built the DA-6 until the 14th of the month.   

Hello JP,

After seeing the pictures that you posted of your undercarriage there is no question that your motor, bell housing, transmission, drive shaft and rear diff have been changed out. If you are interested I could furnish 98% of everything that your car is missing including the cross member. The second style wheels are going to be very difficult to come by, I believe I have a couple of wheel hubs. I will look them up in my parts building and let you know. 

Posted (edited)

Dave that's brilliant! with the info you gave me I worked it out. here goes:

Starting from the car 333 before me E116YH

100 cars later E117YH

100 cars later E118YH

100 cars later E119YH

10 cars later E119SH

10 cars later E119LH

10 cars later E119EH

3 cars later E119ES That's our car! So definitely a 9

Great to know you have 98% of the parts, we will definitely be interested, but first we need to finalise the car's purchase, that will be done within the next two weeks I expect. The car is already in our workshop so we are almost there... I am off for a week's holiday tomorrow in Malindi on the Indian ocean so we'll resume this talk after Monday 19th.

Please let me know if you want to communicate off the forum (email or whatsapp or Skype)

Many thanks for helping me unravel the puzzle.

One last thing this car has hydraulic brakes, is that original or just another bodge? The master cylinder is a Toyota item...

Have a great week-end!

J-P

Edited by Kitisuru
mistake (see edit history)

Hello JP,

The DC-8 was factory equipped with hydraulic brakes, matter a fact all Dodge Brothers cars had hydraulic brakes in 1930.