DA fuel problem

Dodgenz

Normally my '29 DA starts on the button, faster than any modern vehicle I've got. When it hadn't been started for over 15 years it still didn't take many spins of the flywheel, BUT today no go. It has been a couple of months, but this usually is no problem. There is plenty of fuel and a spark, but the plugs aren't getting wet, so it doesn't seem to be getting from the carb to the motor. It pours out of the 'throat' (ie where the choke is) but is not making it up into the manifold. Has our rubbish fuel just turned to water, as it seems to, because it's been in the tank more than a few weeks ? - if so why aren't the plugs wet? or is there something else i'm missing? On a downdraught carb I could just pour fresh fuel in to check this, but not so here. Before I strip it down, does anyone have any ideas?

Was the carb rebuilt after sitting for 15 years? Fuel filter or something blocked by crud? I have used starting fluid on mine before after taking air cleaner off....keep fire extinguisher handy. If car starts then ignition would seem okay, though you did say you have spark. If you've had gas in the car after only a few weeks it shouldn't be a problem....I just think somethings gotten gummed up in the carb as gas seems to be getting to the "throat".

Hi Bob, No the carb wasn't rebuilt, as has been fine up until yesterday. I guess something (a jet or something) must be blocked in the carb as fuel is certainly getting to it. I wish I could find my starting fluid - hunted high and low for it!  - may have to invest in more.

Don't know how your 29 carb looks like, but it may be gummed up due to ethanol in the fuel, that has eaten up some part.  My 27 had a diaphragm fuel pump added, and the ethanol ate up the diaphragm , and filled up my fuel lines with black gunk!!  Had to flush the whole fuel system, and the added a metal pump!!  Good luck!!!  Chuck