Summershandy

Draining coolant for thermostat change

Hey gang, I'm just in the process of draining my rad coolant and getting prepared when my new thermostat arrives.When I remove the upper rad hose will there still be a good amount in the hose or thermostat housing when I remove the hose? I'm trying to prevent a mess over the engine. Does the thermostat hold any coolant there or does it trickle out back? I'm thinking of getting a cheap turkey baster (not the wife's, made that mistake before) and sucking any left over out. I haven't done an thermostat since I was a teen and can't remember because I'm old LOL. 

Drain the radiator down below the level of the thermostat and it should clear out the upper hose and thermostat housing as well. Drain it before removing any hoses, use the petcock in the bottom of the radiator. It'll be slow but it's not messy that way.

12 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

Drain the radiator down below the level of the thermostat and it should clear out the upper hose and thermostat housing as well.

Those were my thoughts. I can always disconnect at the rad and take a peek down the hose. No sense wasting more coolant than needed either. 

Sure enough, I took the upper rad hose off and saw a little coolant on top the thermostat. I just stuffed a rag down the housing and soaked up what was left. No mess. I tested the thermostat with my heat gun. It operated and fully opened. Then it dawned on me. When the spring compressed and it's open, the thermostat became deeper in length. There's not much space in the cylinder head and I thought what if it's bottoming out in the cylinder preventing it to fully open? I placed it back in fully open (held by pliers of course) and it seemed to fit OK. Still, that was one observation I never saw coming.  I can hardly wait for the proper one to come in.