1935 Buick Series 40 Running Boards

AussieTim

Hello All,

Trying to figure out how to put my 1935 Buick Series 40 running boards back to original.  All I have is the original body sheet metal (not in great condition but repairable) and another non-original sheet metal plate that has been bolted over the top of it.

I understand the original rubber mats were bonded to a steel backing plate.  This was then attached to the body sheet metal that I have.

1. How were the original running boards attached to the body (there are key-shaped holes in the sheet metal but not sure what type of fastener was used) ?

2. How much of the body sheet metal did the running board rubber cover (i.e. from the front fender join to the rear, and from the bottom of the door to the outer lip of the curve ?

3. Any recommendation on where to get the running board covers remade ?

Thanks so much for everyone's advice.  Tim

!Hi Tim,my son has my running boards with him currently to send blast them for me at his workplace but I have the matts at home, if you like I can measure them and send you a picture. I had mine mounted with carriage bolts from the top but they were a little too long. Greg.

IMG_20190804_113822_hdr.jpg

IMG_20190804_113947_hdr.jpg

IMG_20190804_113926_hdr.jpg

IMG_20190804_114048_hdr.jpg

IMG_20190804_114124_hdr.jpg

IMG_20190804_114124_hdr.jpg

Hi Greg,

Thank you so much for the pictures !  They are extremely helpful to me - to see what the original running boards look like, the dimensions, and especially the underside view.  I can see that the "mushroom" shaped tabs would locate in the keyhole shaped holes I have in the body sheet metal.  Presumably they are then twisted or some kind of clip pulls everything snug.  You are lucky to have those original boards intact.  Thanks again.  Much appreciated.  Regards, Tim