Hope all the Pebble Beach cars are finished and waiting for transport West

1937hd45

Hope all the restorations and prep work is finished and it just a matter of getting the cars out there. Looking forward to roaming around the car trailer lot, getting a preview of the Tour and Sunday display. This is one event that has become an addiction, and we are just spectators. Thank you in advance to everyone displaying a car. Bob 

• Like 1

Nice looking Town Car! I just realized that the cars that get shipped out there are with that trailer for a good three weeks. The line up of haulers is impressive, transportation as well as on site storage, a detail most people never get to see or think about. Bob 

• Like 1

I was up in New England today, putting on a few miles for the first time, car will be finished tomorrow. Car loads on the truck Monday. We look forward to another great show........100 Years of Bentley............It will be a great display. Everyone wants to know what we are bringing.........can’t spill the beans, but I will post a photo.........👍

6F9EE304-C25C-4846-B39C-2D92640A5BDF.jpeg

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

"general admission is $450" Is that for a spectator just to walk around and look at the cars or for the admission/registration for the auctions?

Either way despite it being a premier car show I can think of some good stuff I can buy at Hershey in 2 months for that kind of $.

Edited by Walt G
mispelled word (see edit history)

31 minutes ago, Walt G said:

"general admission is $450" Is that for a spectator just to walk around and look at the cars or for the admission/registration for the auctions?

Either way despite it being a premier car show I can think of some good stuff I can buy at Hershey in 2 months for that kind of $.

That's just to walk in--auction previews are free but the auctions themselves have a cover charge. And don't even think about trying to get into The Quail without your liquid-cooled credit card...

Sadly, as miraculous as Pebble is in every way that matters to a car guy, the prices are really for people who don't have to worry about what anything costs. You can do it on a budget (sort-of) but there's no way around the fact that is THE premier auto event in the world and charges accordingly.

Like many things, there are several ways to do Pebble Beach. Yup, it’s expensive. You can also do 95 percent of it for free, and just buy a ticket for show day. The learning curve is what is really expensive. Having been there, I find almost everything I do is no charge, and the only true out of pocket cost is the field ticket. Timing is 90 percent of making the experience both fun and not over the top crazy expensive. I bet 99 percent of the people here would enjoy and see Pebble exactly the way I do. Trick is being willing to get up EARLY every day. I spend 85 percent of my time in the trucking parking lot.  Want to meet Leno and all the other celebrities, they are there. Want to see the cars with the hood up without ten thousand people looking at the same time, go to the parking lot. Want to meet the owners when they are laid back and smiling, and willing to share their stories, go to the lot. I have been to all the “A list” events and parties. No big deal. Last year, I was invited to the “Big Afterglow” event. I was too dam tired...........I went back to the hotel to sleep. Figure out traffic, and parking spaces. That is the true way to see Pebble and keep your sanity. I must admit my favorite thing is to hand out our passes to the events that I get and don’t use...........before you  ask.....I give them to the local kids.......

PS - just go. You won’t regret it.

Not trying to be cheap - but to figure the cost of a round trip plane ticket from NY, the cost of admission, the cost of a hotel, the cost to rent a car to get there from the airport not taking into account meals - YES indeed it is a charity event and yes there are some great cars, perhaps the greatest no dust, do not touch, don't even look/stare to hard car event in the universe -  but for all the $ to spend I would rather donate that sum to a local charity, the ASPCA, a veterans group, etc. we all have our own levels of enjoyment. Mine is not the bragging "I have been to Pebble" level.

The best Pebble Beach advice I ever got was from the late Jim Proffit…"JUST GO!" I day dreamed and agonized about not fitting in for YEARS. Finally got there for the first time in 2016, it was fun wearing a jacket and tie and not being at a friends wake. Car people are care people, there was no metal detector or net worth questionnaire at the entrance gate. If you can spot a $50-100 item at a tag sale with a $3.00 price tag on it, and you have the three bucks, buy it, flip it, repeat, Pebble Beach  is covered. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, edinmass said:

Having been there, I find almost everything I do is no charge,

That is because you usually hand the bill to me.

As a regular guy, it would be hard to do Pebble every year, but almost everyone could go once in a while and stay within a budget.  Yeah,  showing a car requires some fairly deep pockets,  never mind actually having a car they would accept.   However, as a spectaor you could even skip the show as 90% of the cars will be parked in downtown Carmel after the tour and anybody can go right up to them.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, alsancle said:

That is because you usually hand the bill to me.

As a regular guy, it would be hard to do Pebble every year, but almost everyone could go once in a while and stay within a budget.  Yeah,  showing a car requires some fairly deep pockets,  never mind actually having a car they would accept.   However, as a spectaor you could even skip the show as 90% of the cars will be parked in downtown Carmel after the tour and anybody can go right up to them.

Remind  me again????? Your buying dinner right?🤔

6 hours ago, JACK M said:

General admission $450.

That's about what my car is worth.

It's still crazy that the tickets were $375 if you bought them before August, but it did let me tell my wife that I was saving her $150 when I bought the pair.  :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, edinmass said:

...You can also do 95 percent of it for free, and just buy a ticket for show day.... Timing is 90 percent of making the experience both fun and not over the top crazy expensive... I bet 99 percent of the people here would enjoy and see Pebble exactly the way I do... I spend 85 percent of my time in the trucking parking lot...

99% of the people here spend 85% of their time figuring out all of your math 😆👍

• Like 3

I think the price issue is directly related to supply and demand, and the amount of people the venue can safely handle. The economy is very strong, and the choice is limited ticket sales, or open ticket sales at a higher price. With Thursday morning line up and the drive into Carmel, and the drive down to Big Sir, there are plenty of free choices to see 80 percent of what is on the field for no cost. Thr field ticket for me is less than my coach airfare............so while not insignificant it is in the zone of a normal discretionary spending bill. My cable and internet bill is 140 a month...........

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Walt G said:

Not trying to be cheap - but to figure the cost of a round trip plane ticket from NY, the cost of admission, the cost of a hotel, the cost to rent a car to get there from the airport not taking into account meals - YES indeed it is a charity event and yes there are some great cars, perhaps the greatest no dust, do not touch, don't even look/stare to hard car event in the universe -  but for all the $ to spend I would rather donate that sum to a local charity, the ASPCA, a veterans group, etc. we all have our own levels of enjoyment. Mine is not the bragging "I have been to Pebble" level.

All those things add up. Back around 1990 I made a few trips from western New York to Pomona, Ca. to troubleshoot some operational problems with a cogeneration plant Xerox built with a third party at a circuit board plant. I learned about the Pomona Swap meet at the LA Fairplex (not Pebble Beach by a long shot, but spending money on a car event). I was gone four days and spent, maybe $2000 in all.

The flight out arrived early evening and that was when they first put telephones at the customer seats. About 6 PM Eastern time we were just over the foothills of the western Rockies. I knew my wife and kids would be at the kitchen table right by the phone. So I dialed them up. My wife was surprised and asked if I was in LA already. I told her "No, I got talking with the pilot and noticed he had a phone in the cockpit. I asked if I could call home and he said sure". She thought that was a perfectly natural situation for me to get into. We talked a minute and I said Hi to the kids. I think the call cost me $8.

When I got home I was telling Frank Jenkins, the Model A guy, appropriately used to set up in the BS row at Hershey. He exclained about the cost of a call like that, what a foolish way to spend money! I stayed in a nice motel in Diamond Bar, rented a car, bought my meals, and spent most of the two grand I took. Yeah, Frank, the phone call cost 8 bucks.

Don't you love it. And that was just the Pomona Swap Meet.

Bernie

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have not been to the Pomona Swap Meet in quite some time now.

Back in '92 I sold a '78 Silver Anniversary Corvette there. It was a low mile, L-82 4 speed car and someone from Australia came to the swap meet to find a car and take it home.

There used to be lots of great bargains there but from what I hear now the bargains are gone and there is pretty much just new, repro stuff for sale.

I wet to Pomona a couple of years ago just because.

My old legs and feet got tired. The place is HUGE.

I spent fifty bucks on some chrome repro wire covers for one of the Hemis. Same price as online.

Everything seemed a bit high, but it is LA not Bum(*&%) Oregon.

My brother who is not a car guy goes to Carmel every year and sends me pictures. That's probably the closest I will  get.

He likes the Concourse De' Lemons as do I.

my dear friend whom of which got super lucky and recently picked up a '31 packard rollston all weather town car 7 passenger limousine. (his first ever custom bodied car) is hoping that once restored (which will be a tough task, but totally worth it!) that he will get a pebble beach invite! and if that happens, we will defiantly will be down there! maybe 2-3 years from now??? time will tell.

4 hours ago, what is it? said:

my dear friend whom of which got super lucky and recently picked up a '31 packard rollston all weather town car 7 passenger limousine. (his first ever custom bodied car) is hoping that once restored (which will be a tough task, but totally worth it!) that he will get a pebble beach invite! and if that happens, we will defiantly will be down there! maybe 2-3 years from now??? time will tell.

I think I know the car...........the Packard class at Pebble can be ridiculously competitive. It is often the hardest class to win an award in.........100 points in it means nothing.........that’s just the ticket to get it. That being said, Pebble is always a blast, and the town car done well would probably get an invitation............just be sure he premieres it at PB.

PS- Notice how no one posts photos of cars going to Pebble? Be sure he keeps the car low profile and under wraps..............no exposure is the best chance to make it on the field.

1 hour ago, 1937hd45 said:

Ed, How does one get a car on the Pebble Beach radar, say one that is 2-3 years away from finished, or one that may fit on the featured class in an upcoming year? Bob 

PM me, I'm getting on a plane to Pebble, so I will be a day before I answer........Ed

• Like 1

Heading up tomorrow (not exhibiting, just spectating, volunteering & visiting with friends) and although after 3 decades of solid service, the #8 cylinder of the 67 year old engine (rebuilt 30 years ago) in my 87 years old ride suddenly developed problem week ago and I still haven’t had a chance/time to fully assess the issue, but yesterday after some ad hoc by-pass adjustments/repairs/services and couple of test drives with engine now running only on 7 cylinders, decided to drive her anyway.

I mean it’s only a week and +/-1200 mile round trip. 

Nothing (ad)ventured, nothing gained, right ?

• Like 1

On 8/12/2019 at 12:11 PM, TTR said:

Heading up tomorrow (not exhibiting, just spectating, volunteering & visiting with friends) and although after 3 decades of solid service, the #8 cylinder of the 67 year old engine (rebuilt 30 years ago) in my 87 years old ride suddenly developed problem week ago and I still haven’t had a chance/time to fully assess the issue, but yesterday after some ad hoc by-pass adjustments/repairs/services and couple of test drives with engine now running only on 7 cylinders, decided to drive her anyway.

I mean it’s only a week and +/-1200 mile round trip. 

Nothing (ad)ventured, nothing gained, right ?

Damn, looks like I suddenly grew old, grew up or my huevos shrank overnight yesterday.

Halfway through loading up the Roadster with luggage, tools, etc  right prior to heading out yesterday morning, I decided to take a one quick look at potential cause of the issue and seems I found enough evidence (exhaust valve not opening*)  making me pause and reverse load luggage, etc back to my dishwasher/refrigerator/toaster oven, a.k.a. late model, modern vehicle, i.e. boredom ride.

OTOH, I’m still going to spend few days in Carmel/Monterey/PB area and with few friends with cool vintage cars living in the area I might get chance to drive or be driven around in something much more interesting than my DD “appliance”.

One already offered a use of a late ‘50s MoPar Convertible... 

* Had it been the intake, I probably would’ve driven it.

Edited by TTR (see edit history)

Well, even though I had to drive my boredom-mobile up & back to Monterey, it turned out to a nice trip oveall. The few days I was in town I was chauffeured around by local friend in two of his Chrysler Corp. vehicles from 1959, a DeSoto Adventurer 2dr Ht and a Imperial Crown convertible.

Latter, due to lacking recent maintenance and active use, gave us a little problem when we’re leaving Laguna Seca Friday afternoon, but after about an hour & half and borrowing some fuel hose from some racing guys at the pits, we managed to drive it back to his house and switch to DeSoto which had been performing great the day before and continued to do so for the rest of my visit.

And while just about everyone I know and meet during “The Car Week” promptly asked if I drove my Roadster up (as I’ve done for long time unless driving some other cool vintage cars), we encountered something that has become way too common and saddening in past 10 or so years. It appears not many other 50+ year old, let alone pre-war vintage cars are being used for commuting/shuttling around the peninsula during these events.. 

Seems like many of the old guard just hoard all the cool cars to private collections, transports them (enclosed) to/from shows and use modern “appliances” for themselves, instead of promoting drivability and practical usability of well sorted vintage cars.

No wonder this hobby is suffering to entice new and future generations to get involved. ☹️

Edited by TTR (see edit history)