Nash34

1913 Hupp 32

So today we took a ride in dad Hupp. He seem to always have problems with going it to first. 

I have  heard that model 32's had little trouble with going in to first. 

Any suggestions on making it easier to shift in to first?

20190415_192130.jpg

Posted (edited)

Great  car,  maybe  some one  of the  Hupp  club will help  you  that  has  a Model  13 as  that  is  not  one  of the  Hupps  I  own..

Edited by Hupp36 (see edit history)

The engine speed must be low enough to match transmission speed. Retarding spark may help. On my model 32 touring the clutch must be strongly pressed to the floor. My experience is limited as I took my model 32 touring in a trade and intend to sell it. Too many toys and in need of improving my tow vehicle situation.

Joe

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

GOSSJH

Do you still have your 32? 

Thanks for the advice. I will talk to dad and see if it helps. 

Edited by Nash34 (see edit history)

Yes, I did a valve job on it and needed the compression chamber gasket. It is in transit and I hope to get it installed soon. Then I can see if the valve job improved road speed and engine smoothness. For your shifting issues- Another trick for matching speeds is to momentarily bump the foot feed, which will give some variation to the engine speed. Hopefully that helps you find a speed match to slip into gear without a clash.

Joe

304A3FB8-3DA3-4F3D-9850-5BD91D087272.jpeg

• Like 3

Gossjh. That's a nice looking model 32. I take it being nickel plated a 1914? 

Dad and I did little cruising the 1913 today. With some improve success on shifting.  

• Like 1

Practice will not only improve your skills, but likely will work some kinks out of the car. They seem to like to be used and repay us by running better. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it. Yes, I believe it was made in thirteen as a fourteen model, but did not get any of the optional electric starting or lighting. I just listed it on HCCA.org for sale. Maybe I can get me a newer tow vehicle. Or at least not get distracted by working on this, when I have four finished cars sitting here getting jealous. Are you using the original carburetor? Mine has a broken off idle needle. Others in the Hupmobile club have switched to other carburetors , so I have not fixed it, figuring the next owner can make his choice.

Dad has the original carburetor. But the car is using the bb1 currently. Which seems work ok. I'm not very impressed with it.  It seems to be part of  shifting problem. As it doesn't really allow the car idle very well. 

I'm trying to encourage him to put the original carburetor back on. 

Our newly-formed local car group had a day trip this past Saturday. Humpmobile did fairly well. A little difficult to start after it gets warmed up. I'm kind of wondering if the changing of the carburetor and a go through the mag might help starting the car. 

I saw your car on the Horses Carriage Club forum looks like a nice one. I could definitely see how Humpmobile 32s make wonderful smaller touring car.

Gossjh

What are the other 4  cars that are sitting around?

The others are 1908 Maxwell NC 2 cylinder roadster. 1911 Ford torpedo roadster, 1930 Ford woody station wagon, 1964 Studebaker Daytona. My kids have a 1950 Willys Jeepster and a 1910 Maxwell G toy tonneau touring.  

• Like 3