First show of the year

Summershandy

Where I over heated LOL!. Seriously, an local old fellow in his mid 70's that stopped entering was there with his '55 Star Chief convertible extended back bumper with spare. 2 tone red/white. Absolutely gorgeous! Should have taken a pic. I still have 2 more to attend to. If he shows up again I'll snap a pic....made me look pretty plain haha.

IMG_7948.JPG

• Like 2

Thanks. Another observation that made me chuckle from the spectators is how many people were surprised it was an 8 and not a 6 cylinder. One guy even came looking for me swearing it was a 7 cylinder. Told him to count again. Guess that last plug is so far back they don't see it! It's still got dings and dents, drips and smokes a bit. Pitting on the chrome but hey, it's my daily. Just having a blast driving it and having people appreciate it. Meeting those purists that are passionate about the originality of it makes it all the worth while. Hearing all the stories from people older than I, sharing their memories of their dads or grandparents I get an absolute kick out of it! 

It's amazing how many people have owned/had a neighbor/uncle/friend/dog who owned any car that's somewhat out of the norm.

Looks good though! My hood springs are tired, I need a prop to hold it up that high!

Also, as you're out and about if you can, take some video. I would love to compare how your gears shift to mine.

Phil

9 hours ago, PhilAndrews said:

Looks good though! My hood springs are tired, I need a prop to hold it up that high!

I do have a prop. It's a wooden dowel painted black hinged to the hood. It folds up neatly when closed. I didn't want one but after purchasing new springs and going through the arduous task of replacing them, I found the hood sat no higher. Maybe that's how high they sat back then? High enough to check the oil and such but not high enough for a car show! 

9 hours ago, PhilAndrews said:

Also, as you're out and about if you can, take some video. I would love to compare how your gears shift to mine.

I can try sometime but I've listened to other videos and found it very hard to hear. My trans shifts 1st to 2nd like butter, 2nd to 3rd jerk (less if I slightly lift up on the pedal) and 3rd to 4th like butter again.  

7 hours ago, Summershandy said:

I do have a prop. It's a wooden dowel painted black hinged to the hood. It folds up neatly when closed. I didn't want one but after purchasing new springs and going through the arduous task of replacing them, I found the hood sat no higher. Maybe that's how high they sat back then? High enough to check the oil and such but not high enough for a car show! 

I can try sometime but I've listened to other videos and found it very hard to hear. My trans shifts 1st to 2nd like butter, 2nd to 3rd jerk (less if I slightly lift up on the pedal) and 3rd to 4th like butter again.  

Try adjusting the throttle pressure by 1/4th of one turn of the threads to lessen how much the lever is moved when you accelerate. 

On 8/4/2019 at 7:01 AM, Summershandy said:

I looked more carefully and now I see it! I used a piece of aluminum tube from the local hardware store that I had laying around from another project. Cut to length and polished up it looks nice. Locates onto the ground screw for the headlights and up into the hood frame by the fillet plate.

That's also a trouble with the cars being so quiet... though mine when I got it was nothing but valve noise.

--Phil

1 hour ago, PhilAndrews said:

I used a piece of aluminum tube from the local hardware store that I had laying around from another project.

Don't you love it when you can build something for free? I had the dowel and a black plastic cap in the garage. Same with all the mounting hardware and STILL looks tasteful! Lot of other older cars at the show use them. Some not so nice but practical. One rat rod had combination wrenches welded together end to end.