Greasing 1946 Dodge D24 front hubs

Changed out leaking front wheel cylinders, new shoes, brake lines.  Bearings feel OK on both sides.  Repacked both inside and outside.  The inside of the hub though seemed a little light on the grease. Smelled fine.  Just how much grease should be packed into the hub itself prior to install and how much should be behind the cup after outer bearing install?

Edited by Brooklyn Beer (see edit history)

There should be no grease inside the hubs between the bearings and no grease in the grease cap.  Just pack the bearings properly and repack regularly.  Your owner/operators manual should tell you how often. 

My wheel bearings in my 500,000 mile daily driver are originals.  I used repack them at least once a year and sometimes twice as I was driving about a thousand miles a month.

There should be up to 2-1/2 ounces of non contaminated good quality NGLI 2 grease in your D24 front brake drum hubs.

Read your owners manual or Service shop manual. Follow the factory recommended procedure.

They will recommend short or medium fiber grease. Of course Use better modern greases.

Edited by c49er (see edit history)
  • Like 2