Do you use Reatta Owners Journal?

Ronnie

I have used it from time to time, especially when I knew there would be overlap with my once owned '92 Riviera.

Please keep it alive.  You provide a great Reatta service to us all.

I use it and appreciate it being there. If the software upgrade requires a financial investment please put pen to paper and let us know how much Is needed. Then we post a fundraising thread with a link to your donation page. We can all count together to see how long it takes to get there. Not long I suspect. 😁

Edited by Cargirl
Spelling (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I appreciate your input. With 18 people responding in 24 hours it make me question if my efforts and out of pocket expenses to keep ROJ going are worthwhile.

With over 900 members (and growing) on the Reatta Facebook page, it tells me that is where people who have problems with their Reattas look for answers to their questions.  I can't see what is on there but I'm sure the Reatta Facebook page is an asset to the Reatta community.  It appears to me this forum and ROJ have become where you go as a last-ditch effort to get answers to a Reatta problem when all else fails.

ROJ won't be leaving soon because I use it myself. But knowing that it's not being used much by others takes the wind out of my sails for wanting to put forth the effort and money required to maintain and upgrade it.

I think many people don’t know of this site and yours. I don’t remember how I discovered this site but it was probably about a year into when I actually decided I was going to buy a reatta. Facebook is easier for some. I always point people here or your site. Especially if I know the exact problem they are having is something that’s been touched on before. 

7 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I appreciate your input. With 18 people responding in 24 hours it make me question if my efforts and out of pocket expenses to keep ROJ going are worthwhile.

With over 900 members (and growing) on the Reatta Facebook page, it tells me that is where people who have problems with their Reattas look for answers to their questions.  I can't see what is on there but I'm sure the Reatta Facebook page is an asset to the Reatta community.  It appears to me this forum and ROJ have become where you go as a last-ditch effort to get answers to a Reatta problem when all else fails.

ROJ won't be leaving soon because I use it myself. But knowing that it's not being used much by others takes the wind out of my sails for wanting to put forth the effort and money required to maintain and upgrade it.

There are a couple with some knowledge, but not near the knowledge here.  Links to here and your site are often posted.  It's a summer weekend also, alot of people are off playing and having fun and not inside on the computer or device.  Just like voting in elections, only a handful ever reply or do it 

Ronnie,

I too have used your site many times and appreciate the value of the site!  Even though I have the '91 manual, I still look to your site first because of the accumulated knowledge of many DIYers that have been there and done that.

I agree with Cargirl, please let us know what needs to happen next.  If you no longer wish the expense or headaches, perhaps there is an orderly way to shutdown the site while preserving the information for those who would be interested?

Jim (Nittany)

My reasons for starting this topic wasn't intended to help me make a decision to shut down ROJ or not. I wanted to try to get a handle on whether or not the time I put into ROJ was helping anyone.  I have no other way to know that because ROJ is rarely mentioned here anymore. I reference ROJ here when I'm trying to help someone with a problem but that's about it.  There are some expenses to maintain a website that has to be paid each year but I'm not going to ask anyone to help me pay it.  The Reatta Store use to help pay the expenses but for whatever reason people stopped using it.  I will continue to pay the expenses and maintain ROJ for now. I was just wondering if the time and money was being put to good use.

11 hours ago, Ronnie said:

My reasons for starting this topic wasn't intended to help me make a decision to shut down ROJ or not. I wanted to try to get a handle on whether or not the time I put into ROJ was helping anyone.  I have no other way to know that because ROJ is rarely mentioned here anymore. I reference ROJ here when I'm trying to help someone with a problem but that's about it.  There are some expenses to maintain a website that has to be paid each year but I'm not going to ask anyone to help me pay it.  The Reatta Store use to help pay the expenses but for whatever reason people stopped using it.  I will continue to pay the expenses and maintain ROJ for now. I was just wondering if the time and money was being put to good use.

Ron, You know I've used the ROJ and I even submitted a couple repair procedures. You say that for some reason people stopped buying through the Retta store. The reason I stopped was because the Reatta store no longer had a link to Amazon to help defray your costs. When I tried to purchase there last time it didn't work. So I just went about buying through Amazon directly. Heck, if you have the link set up again I would continue to buy through the Reatta store even though I may no longer have my Reatta.

• Thanks 1

I use the site every time I am working on my Reatta. It has been very helpful and I know it would take me a lot longer to do the research needed to help solve problems. I don't use facebook and sure would to see this site continued. 

Thanks for creating it and for all the other things you have been doing to help Reattas stay running.

Ed

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fordrodsteven said:

Ron, You know I've used the ROJ and I even submitted a couple repair procedures. You say that for some reason people stopped buying through the Retta store. The reason I stopped was because the Reatta store no longer had a link to Amazon to help defray your costs. When I tried to purchase there last time it didn't work. So I just went about buying through Amazon directly. Heck, if you have the link set up again I would continue to buy through the Reatta store even though I may no longer have my Reatta.

Thank you and all the other people who used the Reatta Store when it was open.  I really appreciate it.  It was a good way to pay for maintaining ROJ when people were using it but it got to the point that it was costing me money to keep it open when people stopped using it.  That is why I had to close it.  There is a donate button on ROJ for people to contribute but it has only been used once so far this year.  I will continue to pay for ROJ as long as it's being used. I use it often myself.

I'm sorry to hear that you sold your Reatta. I always liked the way you would dive right in and get your hands dirty to fix a problem with your Reatta.  You contributed a lot to the forums. I hope you continue to hang around.

Edited by Ronnie (see edit history)
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Nittany said:

That last line of Heygibb's signature ^ "Self maintained, thanks to AACA, ROJ, etc" says it all - thank you Ronnie and all who contribute to the collective wealth of knowledge of the Reatta!!!'

Thank you. With the support of everyone here I think the best of ROJ is yet to come.

• Like 2

On ‎8‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 3:39 PM, DAVES89 said:

I think you should keep it going if you can. If not sell DVDs...

DVD's are old school.  Perhaps a newer media BUT I would prefer keeping it.  Usually I post an inquiry on this forum and you direct me to ROJ (Ronnie and Dave) and it is invaluable.   Let me know if you need another donation to cover upgrade costs. 

I have used it successfully for -

Door panel removal

Harmonic Balancer R & R and associated.

Interior removal assistance

Trunk Lock and more

On ‎8‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 12:57 PM, Ronnie said:

Ronnie

I was accepted over on Facebook but do not like it because this is so instant (this forum) and easy for me to dig in on topics, or avoid them if it doesn't interest me.  I am not in the habit of using Facebook.  When I went in there, I did not see much in the way of advice requested or given, but maybe I was in the wrong section. 

Interestingly, if you type in Reatta Assistance  in a Google search, 1. is East Coast Reatta, 2. Reatta Division, 3. this forum, 4. ROJ and 5. ROJ.

No Facebook.   Marck, if he is smart, has a website tool or service that keeps his website at the top for sales.  I was surprised to see the Reatta Division at number 2. I was equally surprised and disappointed not to see ROJ in their resources section, as well as other vendors noted on this website. 

But - #3, #4 and #5 are the AACA Forum or ROJ.   Searches bring those to the top, which Google monitors.  So your answer of relevancy is answered.   

Edited by B Jake Moran (see edit history)

Jake,

Thanks for encouraging me to keep going.  I'll admit that for quite a while I've been reluctant to do anything to ROJ.  Mainly because I didn't think anyone cared about it anymore. The kind words of support in this thread, via emails and private messages has inspired me to want to work on ROJ again.  I've spent a lot of time in the last week or so doing much needed upgrades, especially to the ROJ forum, so it will all be accessible with a cellphone.  Every website nowadays has to be accessible with a cellphone or people won't use it.  As you may know I closed the ROJ forum over a year ago and encouraged everyone to move to this forum.  One of the reasons was I knew the old forum software couldn't be accessed with a cellphone. It was obsolete. Encouraging people to come here didn't work out too well. Some of the members of the ROJ forum came here but the majority of them didn't. I guess they went to Facebook

The update to ROJ is almost complete.  The ROJ forum is open once again.   It was upgraded to the same forum software that is used here on AACA forum at considerable expense, so the donations I received were put to good use.  Now it will be fully accessible with a cellphone. Anyone who had an account on the ROJ forum before it closed can still sign in with the same username and password.

I didn't open the ROJ forum again as competition to this forum. I opened it again because I get emails from people quite often asking me how they can join ROJ to get help with their Reatta problems. When I tell them the forum is closed I usually have to help them with their problems via email exchanges which is a real pain. I prefer forums because it is so easy the post photos and links in a forum compared to sending emails back and forth.  I hope now that it is open it will be used... but who knows?

Thank you for taking the time to check the ROJ ranking in Google searches.  I hadn't done that in years. I'm surprised that it is still doing so well. Usually Google ranking falls quickly if nothing new is being added to a website.  I've not added much to it in a long time but I intend to add more how-to articles soon.  I have already added some things to the forum. 

Marck does a great job at keeping his East Coast Reatta Parts business near the top of Google pages.  He probably uses Google Ads, a service Google offers where you get better rankings by bidding on what you will pay to be at the top of the list in your particular category. If he does that he is smart for doing it since he has products to sell.  He is also smart to use Facebook as a way to promote his business.  Facebook never has good Google rankings because they operate under a different business model than Google. Facebook depends on you giving out personal information (including information of your friends) so they can display targeted advertisements they think you will be interested in. The problem I have with Facebook is it is like being at a party with everyone talking at the same time on different subjects and none of it makes much sense.  Try doing a search for some information you need on a Facebook page and see what kind of results you get.  You can scroll through countless pages of discussions and still not find what you need.  I think that is the main reason Facebook people come here when they really need help.

Sorry for this being so long. I've had a lot of coffee today while I was working on ROJ and I think I'm wound a little too tight. :)

Edited by Ronnie (see edit history)
  • Like 1

There is a lot of help given and asked for on the FB Reatta page, there are a couple FB groups btw, one is  by far better than the other.  Marck owns the main FB Reatta group and it is a brilliant marketing move, he gets a lot of business from it.  There are some diehard Reatta people on the site including David North who chimes in regularly but overall it's a bunch of people that gripe about their Reatta's and are basically driving them into the ground as daily drivers and think it's terrible that they are having issues with these junkie cars all the while forgetting they are talking about a 30 year old car with usually well in excess of 100K miles that look like they dragged them out of the junkyard.  To be fair there really are some exceptional cars in the group as well.  There are always a far larger amount of Reatta's for sale on the FB group than we ever get to see here.  I agree the FB page is not a good place to dig for answers, it's more of a here and now and it gets lost as the days progress.  It is enjoyable though as you see a constant parade of Reatta's and Reatta relative posts.

Edited by Y-JobFan (see edit history)

Just wanted to let everyone know that I have successfully upgraded the software on ROJ, including the forum software, so all of ROJ can now be accessed with a cellphone if needed.   ROJ is going to be there for anyone who finds it useful. 

Thanks for the encouragement and support you guys gave me to keep it going.  Special thanks to Cargirl for starting the topic to help with donations. The donations helped with purchasing new software and I appreciate it.

• Like 1