Sign in to follow this  
MNBob

1989 Riviera Like New

I have a 1989 Riviera I have had since 1990. It only has 27,000 original miles and is basically still like a brand new car. It is white with a tan leather interior and was the first car model with a touch-screen display. I now wish to sell it since we are doing some downsizing. There is no particular urgency. Therefore, I was hoping someone familiar with Rivieras might be able to suggest the best way to proceed. I hate the idea of just dumping the car in a standard used car market. Thanks much!

Your car sounds nice.

Be sure to price it realistically, because for many cars

it's a buyer's market, and overpriced cars don't readily sell.

Here are a few suggestions:

---Hemmings Motor News--the magazine and its

accompanying website.  It reaches more serious

car fans than all the other magazines and websites.

---The magazine of the Riviera Owners' Association.

It reaches readers devoted to that model, and 1989's

are certainly collectible.

---The magazine of the Buick Club of America.

That club is dedicated to Buicks and reaches an

audience that will appreciate your well preserved car.

I agree with John, your Riviera sounds VERY nice. I also agree with what he said above for the places to list it for sale.

And yes, while the 7th generation Riviera is "certainly collectable," it isn't one of the generations that is on any most desirable lists.

On ‎8‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 10:45 PM, John_S_in_Penna said:

The magazine of the Riviera Owners' Association.

It reaches readers devoted to that model, and 1989's

are certainly collectible.

Contact the ROA magazine editor, Ray Knott, (ray(at)rivowners.org) and request a classified ad for your car be added to the ROA website classified section. If you are an ROA member, you can also ask for an ad to be placed in the Riview magazine, as stated above.

Edited by NC1968Riviera (see edit history)

You may also want to post pictures here under the Buick- Buy and Sell section. Where are you located?

Really nice seventh generation cars can sell quickly—an (I think) 1992 sold in about a week on Hemmings a couple of weeks ago.

1989 marked a year of substantial change for the Riviera. A couple of paragraphs of (incomplete) analysis:

"1989 brought significant changes to the Riviera’s exterior. The wheelbase and other hard points could not be easily changed, but Buick did extend the rear body by 11 inches. One version of that year’s brochure (which came with floppy discs) claimed that it was “noticeably longer.” Cadillac’s Eldorado and Oldsmobile’s Toronado got similar extensions, but in different model years—Cadillac in 1988 and Oldsmobile in 1990.

Various other components also scaled up along with the body; the Riviera moved to P205/70R15 tires on 15-inch wheels. The roofline had a wider sail panel, and side trim and rocker moldings were modified. New standard equipment included a driver’s side airbag (returning to the Riviera almost a quarter-century later than those first airbags) and a leather-wrapped steering wheel.

Making all these changes only three years into the sixth generation Riviera’s life cycle marked a significant and unexpected effort, which was led by Anthony Derhake, vehicle chief engineer for the Riviera. What remained of the domestic personal luxury coupe market responded well—Riviera sales increased 146% (!) to 21,189, making Buick’s restyling well worth the effort. The upgrades didn’t come free—the Riviera’s base price was up over 4% to $22,540."

• Like 2