Duff71Riv

Note this is NOT my car. It is in Sacramento

00G0G_cL0A2Cwuw6X_600x450.jpg1

Chevrolet Corvair - $2400

contact name:
Al

call:
(562) 659-0851

1964 Corvair Monza. The car runs and drives, registration just renewed. This car is a project, it runs and drives, but needs work on the interior, body/paint, and other parts of the car. All glass is present and no cracks. The body is solid, passenger side floor pan needs replacement. Interior needs to be replaced, seat covers, seat foam, carpet, etc. The motor and carbs are rebuilt, less than 100 miles on rebuilt motor! Carburetors were installed and tuned by reputable Corvair mechanic from the East Bay region. Car should be towed home, brakes work but rear drums need to be lathed. Please call for more information. No longer have time for this project and would love for someone else to enjoy it. Serious buyers only, I do not need help selling my car.

1964 Chevrolet Corvair 
fuel: gas 
title status: clean 
transmission: manual 

Edited by mike6024 (see edit history)

1 minute ago, mike6024 said:

Note this is NOT my car. It is in Sacramento

00G0G_cL0A2Cwuw6X_600x450.jpg

Chevrolet Corvair - $2400

contact name:
Al

call:
(562) 659-0851

1964 Corvair Monza. The car runs and drives, registration just renewed. This car is a project, it runs and drives, but needs work on the interior, body/paint, and other parts of the car. All glass is present and no cracks. The body is solid, passenger side floor pan needs replacement. Interior needs to be replaced, seat covers, seat foam, carpet, etc. The motor and carbs are rebuilt, less than 100 miles on rebuilt motor! Carburetors were installed and tuned by reputable Corvair mechanic from the East Bay region. Car should be towed home, brakes work but rear drums need to be lathed. Please call for more information. No longer have time for this project and would love for someone else to enjoy it. Serious buyers only, I do not need help selling my car.

1964 Chevrolet Corvair 
fuel: gas 
title status: clean 
transmission: manual 

I like it but Sacramento isn’t next door to Ohio. Thank you for the tip tho 👍🏻

Or try search tempest.  It will ding all your craigslists as far away as you want and will also pull up stuff not listed in vehicles as cars are more often now being listed in the barter sections. Just use the word Corvair without a year and that should get you everyone available. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mike6024 said:

I thought most of those in the midwest, and northeast would have road salt rust.

I suppose I misread this as meaning most in the Ohio area are rotted away?

Yeah I saw one for sale and the pictures were nice but in person the bottom was all rotted to the point where it bent in the middle when the doors were open, then the doors no longer closed 

If you need the car to be close to you (Ohio), good luck. Salt gets into cars and works its magic over the years. Just look at the ones in my yard! 😯    But there are garage kept Corvairs out there. Sometimes they come up for sale. 

Lots of rust free Corvairs out west. Just have someone check it out for you that is knowledgeable of Corvairs. The $1000 you spend ins hipping will be better than spending money to fix rust after it appears on your eastern car.  You can get pointers on corvaircenter.com/phorum  .  There is a list of things to look for when buying a Corvair, it is in the FAQs there.

I hope you get one, they are FUN!!!!!!!!!

And don't sell the Powerglides short, they perform well. Just do not have the seat of the pants feel of popping the clutch. Just smooth power!😁  Stock 110 4 speed will not walk away from a stock 110 Powerglide in side by side racing. And a 140 Poweglide is a fine combination.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Frank DuVal said:

If you need the car to be close to you (Ohio), good luck. Salt gets into cars and works its magic over the years. Just look at the ones in my yard! 😯    But there are garage kept Corvairs out there. Sometimes they come up for sale. 

Lots of rust free Corvairs out west. Just have someone check it out for you that is knowledgeable of Corvairs. The $1000 you spend ins hipping will be better than spending money to fix rust after it appears on your eastern car.  You can get pointers on corvaircenter.com/phorum  .  There is a list of things to look for when buying a Corvair, it is in the FAQs there.

I hope you get one, they are FUN!!!!!!!!!

And don't sell the Powerglides short, they perform well. Just do not have the seat of the pants feel of popping the clutch. Just smooth power!😁  Stock 110 4 speed will not walk away from a stock 110 Powerglide in side by side racing. And a 140 Poweglide is a fine combination.

Yes that is true the west coast cars are the better buy. I just don’t like buying site unseen. I could get one inspected but that’s more hassle and would rather check it out myself you know. I just want the stick bc they’re more fun, I know these aren’t speed machines 😂 

It is hard to get past not looking at a car in person, but once you do it you will find it is not that bad, and people are honest and digital pictures can really make things a lot easier. I did it three times and was happy every time. It is not a high dollar car, and pretty much a buyers market. Think about it before you rule it out. The rust is the issue as we all know and dealing with any northern car with rock salt combined with a wet spring season could even make plastic rust! 

I never owned a Corvair but have worked on a few that fellow club members owned, (FYI the fuel tank on the early ones is a royal PITA to do) I agree with the others that said a Corvair is the best bang for your buck, abundance of parts both NOS and reproduction as well, great club support for tech advice and social fun, and most of all a real fun car for under 10K that can drive at highway speeds. That said a rusty one could be a real slippery slope, and not a lot of fun in the long run

Good luck with your search

Edited by John348 (see edit history)

VL2 has one in Texas, Its a Spyder. And a convertible to boot.

Needs a lot of work but there is at least a pick up load of parts included.

Its been parked in an enclosed garage for many years.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yep, since the early 80’s in Tx and garages in NH before that. Real ’63 Spyder Convertible, with vin and data plates to prove it. Arguably the most desirable of all Corvairs.  As the regulars on this forum can attest to, and Jack has seen in person, my father had a lot of rust free, great condition cars.

This is a project he just didn’t finish.

A real “Barn Find” as I had no idea he still had it. Dad has owned it at least since the 70’s. I remember it from before I entered High School in ‘79. I added a photo from back in the day. Lots of parts also, including an extra parts engine, but not with the turbo. Comes with the Kelsey Hayes wheels on it, the spare set will be sold separately. Dad had a Ramy and a Greenbrier also. Located near Fredericksburg, Texas. Was hoping to get it running for myself someday, but that doesn’t seem likely, so selling is on the table. I was going to clean her up, get the engine running or rebuilt if needed, and enjoy her pretty much as is. I haven’t even cleaned the dust off her. She still sits just like this. I haven’t tried to start her or move her yet. Looks like the top and interior had been redone. I know it ran in NH, but hasn’t been registered since ‘86.  (Correction, plates say ‘83). 

Here’s a few pics and a link to more. 

Link: You May have to be logged into Google to access the link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1j_Rb5rf7tyZGtGbE15RUdiLXc

92537923-5066-48B9-AD88-9CB5042949F8.jpeg

804AA55B-18BA-4899-BB1A-8513E872D42E.jpeg

59D8C94C-9AA7-4818-827F-30A6E20864D7.jpeg

5A0763A2-4A81-46ED-8B6B-C6D3C60925FB.jpeg

AAC75284-CEE2-495F-84A9-54CAFAACD763.jpeg

F2F95483-88CC-47ED-930A-F9E19928EA4D.jpeg

DF640249-665E-4CF3-A307-DE84666914E3.jpeg

CC6AC9AD-57EA-4DC6-A7D6-57CE8AC5EFE2.jpeg

Edited by victorialynn2 (see edit history)

Just an FYI that I talked to Ryan via email and had a nice chat. He loves the car, but the location is an issue. Let me know if anyone else is interested. I haven’t tried to sell this one because I wanted to keep it, but I also need money for dad’s expenses, so would consider it. 

12 hours ago, John348 said:

(FYI the fuel tank on the early ones is a royal PITA to do)

Didn't get any better on the lates!😉 It's the one job that sucks. Just remember, GM assembled it FIRST, before the front crossmember went in.

Wait, they put the right front brake tube in before the fuel tank.... So, it was the SECOND thing installed in the body....😊

• Like 2

• 1 month later...