P2 Steering gear

vette-kid

We are rebuilding the steering box in our P2.  The worm gear appears that the gears are different sizes.  Are these worn? Or purposely different?  It's hard to tell but it looks like it may be made that way.  We have a new sector gear, but the worm gear is something I have not been able to find a replacement for... And I do NOT want to pull this out to do it twice!  

0731192017b.jpg

0731192017.jpg

I believe that's to accommodate the curvature of the sector gear so it doesn't bind in the straight position. I also believe that these parts were matched and I'm not sure it's a good idea to mix different gears, but I could be wrong. Did you try adjusting the end play shims and the sector adjusting screw? I also use 600 wt. oil in mine.You may always see a little more play in the straight position than in the far turned positions.

• Like 1

On 8/2/2019 at 6:38 PM, broker-len said:

before you took it all apart did you check that the trouble was not in the steering linkage   ?????    don't think the gear would give you that much play    

Yes we did.  The gear was very sloppy, even with the great box out off the car, there was nearly half a turn in the shaft before the sector engaged

• 2 months later...

Just thought I would update everyone on this.  We finally got it all put back together and out for a test drive.  Sadly I'm not there to do it personally, but dad got the steering wheel back on (thanks to jpage) and took it for a drive.  ALL play is gone from the steering and it tracks about like you would expect an 80yo car on bias ply's.  Oddly, for the rebuild essentially all we did was to replace the bearings and races.  we tried a new sector gear but the box was locked up tight with the new one, so we put the old one back in.  Before the rebuild we probably shouldn't have even driven it.  I chickened out around 40mph, Dad had it all the way up to 60 the other day and said it felt fine, so Ill consider that problem solved!  Now on to electrical!