1955 Special hood.

The hood on my 55 Special as always seem very flexible, especially compared to the hood on my friends 57 Chevy, to me it seem that it needs bracing, is this normal? 

If it is normal, has anyone added bracing to solve this? Thanks in advance Rick.

There is an inadequate brace where the hood turns down both sides in the front.  Many will crack in this location which will require welding the sheet metal and installing more bracing to bolster the area.

8 hours ago, old-tank said:

There is an inadequate brace where the hood turns down both sides in the front.  Many will crack in this location which will require welding the sheet metal and installing more bracing to bolster the area.

Amen to this! Best bet to avoid bending/cracking is to be sure to only use the center section when closing the hood.

When I shut the hood on my '55 Century, I always gently low it to the safety catch, then push it down into the locked position.  I NEVER, NEVER slam the hood down from the fully open position.  Doing so will damage the fenders.  My 2-cents worth.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1