trying to idenfiy a rear end

62Imp

i have a rear end out of a 1964 Riviera that has 3:07 gear and I want to change to a 3:90 or 4:10 gear. The problem is I don't know what the rear end is. The center section drops out, it has 30 spline axles, 28 spline pinion and 1 1/4 in pinion nut. there is a 70 stamped in the axle housing above the 3:07 gear stamp. any help will be greatly appreciated

Sounds like a 9 3/8" Buick axle, which unfortunately is NOT the same as the Olds/Pontiac axle. Parts are difficult to find. Pictures would help with the ID.  Does it look like this? If so, I'm pretty sure no one makes aftermarket gears for it.

65-buick-rear-axle-2-jpg.1676806

Edited by joe_padavano (see edit history)

Welcome, 62Imp. Lots of terrific knowledge is here to be found in the AACA Forums. 

Do you plan to install the Buick rear in the 62 Chevy shown at right in one of your photos? If so, may I ask, why did you choose that particular rear end? (Not criticizing the decision...just curious). 

I've had this car sense I was 18 and I'm 64 now, it's been parked for probably 30 years, its a body off restoration and an old friend of mine that builds custom cars is helping, he had this rear end and said back in the day guys put rear ends in cars out of Old's,Pontic and Buicks because they were stronger then stock Chevy rear end. I'm trying to build this car with a lot of what was done in the 60's

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 62Imp said:

I've had this car sense I was 18 and I'm 64 now, it's been parked for probably 30 years, its a body off restoration and an old friend of mine that builds custom cars is helping, he had this rear end and said back in the day guys put rear ends in cars out of Old's,Pontic and Buicks because they were stronger then stock Chevy rear end. I'm trying to build this car with a lot of what was done in the 60's

Those rear ends ARE stronger than the Chevy rear. The Olds/Pontiac axles were (and still are) very popular and thus there is a lot of aftermarket support. The Buick axle looks similar but shares nothing with the Olds/Pontiac unit. No demand for parts for it and unfortunately no aftermarket support as a result. 

• Like 1