41/42 Dual carb spacer

BLACK & Blue 38

I'm looking for the 248ci dual carb rear spacer for a 1953 263ci motor I'm getting rebuilt that will be going in our 38 coupe. We want to run this as a syncronized set up not the original progressive set, running this as a syncronized setup the spacer is only needed to be able to run the original aircleaner. We already have the stock intake, dual exaust manifolds, Two good front carbs, air cleaner and even the original linkage (though I don't think we will need it) I just need to find a rear carb spacer, it doesn't even need to be in working condition. I've also been looking into a Stromberg 97 aluminum spacer like this https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fits-Stromberg-97-48-Holley-94-Intake-Manifold-Spacer-Aluminum-Riser-3-Tall-D-/232631030975, am I correct in thinking they share the same base layout? They make these in 1,2,3 and 4 inch if it will fit I just need to know what the height of the origanal spacer was so I can get one tall enough even if it needs to ge cut down. So can anyone confirm if this type of spacer will bolt up and if so how tall the original spacer was. Thank for any help. Here's a picture of the coupe, my Dad's sedan (he calla it his town car) and our parts car.

20161022_145400-1-1.jpg

Here's my mock-up of my dual carb setup when I was fabricating my headers, and you can see the lower flapper valve (what I think you're calling the spacer) as well as the phenolic spacers that fit between the intake and the carburetors. The phenolic spacers are readily available from the usual Buick suppliers but the spacer that was formerly the flapper valve (you don't need it if you're running synchronous carbs like I am) will be tougher to find. The spacer you're looking at on eBay might be a good solution and it appears to have the right three-bolt pattern. Whether it will actually fit and work is something you'll have to roll the dice on. It's easy enough to mill it down to the right height if you need to change it. The flapper is 1.5 inches tall, and with the phenolic spacer and the flapper, it's roughly 2.25 inches from the intake mounting surface to the base of the carb. I might buy two phenolic spacers and one 2-inch spacer for the rear carb and that should be close enough and if you want it perfectly level, you can always mill .5 inches or so off the aluminum spacer.

Here's the phenolic spacer and flapper valve/spacer:

image.thumb.png.d9956aab7016999a4768d1712abc330a.png

Of course, all this only matters if you're using the stock air cleaner. If you're using separate air cleaners on top of each carburetor, then it doesn't really matter. You'll note there's a pronounced downward slope to the rear once the intake is installed, so if you want the carbs to be on the same plane you'll have to work out the spacers. I doubt it will affect operation in any significant way. You could just install the phenolic spacers, skip the flapper valve/spacer, and it should work just fine, just look a little odd with the rear carb a bit lower than the front.

Does this help?

Ford 3 bolt base Strombergs (97s and similar) have the same configuration as Buick 3 bolt base Strombergs and Carter's  used on the Buick  248" straight 8s. Many aftermarket spacers are available online in different heights in aluminum machinable to desired size. Some old straight 8 hot rodding books put the 97s at the right cfm used opening together as a very good replacement, (size-wise) for the stock Buick dual carb operation on the smaller, (248") Buick engine. New aluminum spacers don't have shaft holes left to be plugged after disassembly like the stock pot metal base does.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)