Can this work?

nick8086

Start pricing all that stuff out in a 2500 square foot garage and figure a normal crew of skilled craftsmen Maybe rental of a Lull and or man lift,  possibly multiples,  add things like slate alot of custom windows nice finishes,  in floor heat. Give me 650 and I could build a dandy of a garage with lots of architectural style and there probably wouldn't be alot left over.   My one garage door with opener and we are talking high end but on the bottom end scale as true custom doors are over 10,000 each, Mine with opener was almost 6000.  

Pella all glass doors for man entry doors start at about $1600.  My windows were on the cheap end at around 400 and change each.  Full divided light windows would have been another half to double. 

I bet any of these could push that mark.  Especially if labor in your area isn't cheap.  

The last is mine and I'm at over 100G having done all the finish work myself, the inside is completely unfinished and I don't even have a floor. (that's 30G alone) (electric probably another 10 G). (Insulation 20G) That's another 60g before I even get to buying a boiler and plumbing it all in.    Siding is local pine sawed by a friend.  I'm trying to save everywhere i can but even doing excavating and getting cheap prices on stuff,  it adds up real fast.  Pay as you go ,  makes it real slow as well. 

maxresdefault-1.jpg

images.jpeg

images-1.jpeg

IMG_1556.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

As mentioned,  lay it out,  I used cheap string from the hardware store and stakes then drove my truck inside just like the garage was built to make sure I had room to swing and figure how that space on paper really looked with actual items in it.  

Glad I did,  as that 12 foot door was too narrow so I went up to 16 foot.  Much cheaper and easier to change on paper than with concrete and lumber.   

You also need to make sure you have whatever the town wants for clearances.  Some will not let you get a variance later,  they will make you tear it down and start over. Don't PO the building inspector from the start. 

^^^^^ REREAD THIS!!!!!!!!!!!! It could be cast in bronze. ALSO checkout this fantastic garage build on another AACA Forum thread. This guy KNOWS WHAT HE IS DOING and it shows. Never met him, but want to. Bob 

1 hour ago, 1937hd45 said:

If you have access to recycled building materials and rocks, and your wife can mix cement, in 40 years you could have a garage with living quarters. Bob 

https://www.wingscastle.com/

My wife took architecture in College and even though she likes unique buildings and especially historical looking ones,  it would be hard to convince her to jump on board with that one, telling her in 40 years it will look like this. 

I appreciate the kind words by the way.  Even as much as I think I know,  I've still made mistakes.  That's why I liked looking at the different garage build threads where we have bounced ideas and concerns back and forth.  It sure can save alot of heartache and money down the road. 

By the way my wife calls mine a life time project.  Hopefully I'll be done with it in 40 more.  It will probably take that long just to come up with enough money to finish it.  

The next owner will get a real nice garage though. ;) 

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, trimacar said:

Well, let's see.  9 stall garage, let's say each is 10 x 25, that's 250 square feet per car, let's throw in another one for workshop, that's a 2500 square foot building.

At $650K, that's $260 per square foot.  He must have some damn fine finishes inside and out to get to that price, when the average HOUSE in the United States is $100-150 per square foot.  There has to be more to that story.....

I will take a picture of it some day.. But here is a picture before he built it.. the red box.. I know he spent 20k just on copper gutters.. It was two story building..

mofff.jpg

Edited by nick8086 (see edit history)

If you are in a HOA I'm surprised the Head Nazi hasn't been through wielding the power you gave him when you signed up.  I actually am surprised the local code enforcement officer hasn't been through either,  they usually have something about vehicles in the yard,  of course maybe you have them all registered but many localities only allow 1 or 2.  If they are all registered,  you must have one hell of an insurance bill. 

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I live in a development with a HOA. I have a 2000 sq ft house with 2000 sq ft of garage -two double doors and two singles. Was working in the one with AC last night. Everything is approved. It can be done and doesn't require a multimillion dollar estate, just an 85x150 lot & an understanding of the rules. OTOH I do not have a pool and planned from when I had it built.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hopefully winter comes later for you than us.  Probably a month here before we really have to worry. If you have a crew and they start right away,  they should get it in , in a Months time.  Make sure you have really good drainage between those 2 garages or the old one is going to get flooded with those 2 roof lines draining into a small area. 

12 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

Hopefully winter comes later for you than us.  Probably a month here before we really have to worry. If you have a crew and they start right away,  they should get it in , in a Months time.  Make sure you have really good drainage between those 2 garages or the old one is going to get flooded with those 2 roof lines draining into a small area. 

I hope we do not have any more bad weather..

I pick up all my lights.. Here a few of them.. can be 3000k or 5000k.. and some wall art..

If any one wants to donate a w to me..  I have a big space to fill up with wall art..

IMG_4737[18314].JPG

sign.jpg

art.jpg

Edited by nick8086 (see edit history)

• 1 month later...